• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Upgrading to Air contract after USMC OCS

waverraider

I am father of current OCS candidate, and was doing some research, while waiting for him to get off for libo. Where can I find inof to assist my son in his desire to get into an air contract after he completes OCS (5 weeks togo)? He went under land contract because Air was closed for OCC-198.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
His OSO would be a good place to start.

My kid's situation is a bit different I guess in that he had an SNFO contract thru PLC before going to OCS (OCC 195). Similar because has since switched to a SNA contract after OCS graduation. He had his eyes fixed after OCS and the waver/paperwork was just approved so he is commissioning Aug 2nd. He's hoping to class up for TBS in Oct.

It's been a long road for him so far just getting to the starting line but he hung in there. If he makes it thru TBS and IFS hopefully he will get to climb in an aircraft and begin learning about his "secondary" MOS sometime in 09 !

His OSO hung with him every step of the way. Have your son call OSO. He can help.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
......If he makes it thru TBS and IFS........

Once he graduates from OCS, he is a commissioned officer and The Basic School grooms him to be a full-up round as a leader of Marines. Don't think "if he makes it". It is more like being in a college type dorm situation playing sports. You work hard and get tested while you learn a lot about your trade, but the staff is not there to weed you out at all unless you really goof it up (DUI, poor academics, injury, etc.). I was there when the demand was diminishing for officers due to wind-down of Vietnam conflict, but they used PLC Sr/OCS to weed out those not 100%+ committed to being an officer of Marines. I only recall one injury and 2 guys getting DUIs that were attrited out of our entire company while the 1000+ PLC juniors turned into 325 returning seniors and only 225 graduated.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Wow, a parent has managed to drink the OCS/TBS Kool Aid... ;)

Actually I'm just trying hard not to jinks him. I think baring an injury he should get thru TBS OK. He reported to OCS with a bad case of shin splints in both legs. I was pretty sure they would NPQ him but he never told anyone and managed to gut it out for the whole 10 weeks. Tough kid, just like the rest.

As far as drinking the Kool Aid goes, that's a given I guess. Evidently the blood runs green in this family. Granddaddy Rocketman flew AD's and Panthers in the Corps, I was a Marine Grunt and Candidate Rocketman's little brother is somewhere in Al Anbar behind a Ma Duce dodging IEDs on this fine July 4th. LCpl Rocketman's "secondary" MOS is data geek. In true Marine Corps fashion he's doing his first pump in the sand box as a gunner with CLB-x Security Company.

Oh-58Ddriver

Scouts Out!
None
Contributor
As far as drinking the Kool Aid goes, that's a given I guess. Evidently the blood runs green in this family. Granddaddy Rocketman flew AD's and Panthers in the Corps, I was a Marine Grunt and Candidate Rocketman's little brother is somewhere in Al Anbar behind a Ma Duce dodging IEDs on this fine July 4th. LCpl Rocketman's "secondary" MOS is data geek. In true Marine Corps fashion he's doing his first pump in the sand box as a gunner with CLB-x Security Company.

Rocketman, sounds like your family has made a lot of sacrifice for this country, and continues to do so. In all sincerity, thank you.

waverraider

Thanks for the replies. It appears its all on him. Is there anything his his POP can do to assist (ie. books for studying,a couple of flight lessons, etc.)?

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
One of the best things you can do IMHO is to educate yourself. The web is a fantastic place for that. The more you know and understand his new world the less likely you are to give him bum gouge.

He's a grown man and in the process of joining the mens club but you are still his dad. He's going to ask for your advice or failing that at least listen to what you say. It's a bad time to offer uneducated opinions (which he may treat as fact) based on how the rest of the world works.

He's in a place and going thru a time in his life where there is very little you or anyone else can do to help him. He needs your encouragement and love. You obviously played a big part in getting him where he is today. Most of the rest of the journey is up to him.

2Blades

"Chester" 4 blades transition
pilot
I had no issues switching to an air contract following OCS Seniors in 2003. I just told my OSO I wanted to do it and in a few weeks had confirmation that my contract had changed to air.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
I'd caution him to make sure this is done prior to reporting to TBS. There are a total of 2 competitive SNA slots in Charlie Co this year.

Bolter

pilot
Thanks for the replies. It appears its all on him. Is there anything his his POP can do to assist (ie. books for studying,a couple of flight lessons, etc.)?

Waveraider... it is great to hear such interest in the career of your son. ARCO has a book out that is a GREAT study guide (just go to amazon and search ASTB or "military aptitude test"). Some others said to get it done as soon as possible, and I completely agree.

As I am sure you already know, sometimes the military can have other plans for your son. Here is one thing to keep in your back pocket. IF things do not work out (as in my case six years ago), there is a program called Field Accession (or fleet accession).

In TBS I expressed interest in flying, but not enough for my CO. I stuck with my ground contract and put down infantry as my #1 but ended up with artillery. I did over two years in the fleet with one deployment to Iraq. I applied to the board (which will come out in a MARADMIN) and got accepted. That was over three years ago and I am STILL in school! So far I have loved this program because my ground experience is irreplaceable and I had a blast in artillery (no pun intended). Anyways, good luck with everything and I hope things work out!