• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Upgrade to NFO Wings

USMC1775

Need some insight into this topic. I am accepting a commission in the Navy, from the USMC. I started out as an AC on UH-1's, and C-12's. I then received my AO rating for OV-10's. Then I lucked into a slot at the Marine Aerial Nav school and got my wings. I read somewhere that if you have complete the Nav crs you could upgrade to NFO. Is this true or just wishful thinking on my part? Any help would be appreciated.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
USMC1775 said:
Need some insight into this topic. I am accepting a commission in the Navy, from the USMC. I started out as an AC on UH-1's, and C-12's. I then received my AO rating for OV-10's. Then I lucked into a slot at the Marine Aerial Nav school and got my wings. I read somewhere that if you have complete the Nav crs you could upgrade to NFO. Is this true or just wishful thinking on my part? Any help would be appreciated.
Nope, there's a whole lot more to being an NFO than just doing the Nav, especially if you go to the TACAIR community. Having said that, you'll be that much more prepared during that portion of your training. I found that my time as a crewman put me at an advantage in flight school in many ways. At any rate, congratulations on your commission and welcome to AW.

Brett

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Yeah, even when you aren't in Tacair (Hummers), you will still have to go through a lot more than just the nav. Brett is right though. You will be ahead of the game. Especially when you get to instruments. Good luck.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Had several OV-10 AO's that were Capt's and Majors going through 10 and 86 when I did in 87 and 88. Good guys with a lot of good gouge. Strangly even though we took a deck full of OV-10's with us over to ODS on TR none of them were guys I known there.

Pugs

KBayDog

USMC1775 said:
No more OV-10's Yes I am old. LOL.....I last flew in an OV in 1988.

Yeah - I was in 5th grade that year...and I am FAR from the youngest guy on this forum! :D

KBayDog

USMC1775 said:
KBay - You're not making feel any younger here.....:)

Gotta get my shots in while I can. I'm not far behind you; I'm now eligible for the "AARP Discount" on my PFT.

Welcome aboard, and best of luck with your training.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
USMC1775 said:

Congrats on your joining the right service, finally.....:D. It is nice to have a real Navigator on the forum. One of my instructors when I went through AF Nav training was a retired CWO4 who had been the CO of the Marine Nav school. I always thought your wings were cool.

If you have no problem still wearing your Nav wings, I would be pretty sure they would be authorized for wear on your Navy uniform. At the very least it would be a good conversation starter.

Fre@kshow!!

Yes, I really was in the circus.
None
USMC1775 said:

After reading all the posts, I just can't put it together. Something needs explaining... You last flew OV-10's in 1988??? If you joined at 17 and flew OV's in your first couple of years, that would give you at least 19 or 20 years in service now. What is your current rank and how are you getting a Navy Commission... you've gotta be near 40 years old! I'm all for it, don't get me wrong, but what community and job are you getting. That's gotta be a record.
Did I miss something?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Flash said:
...It is nice to have a real Navigator on the forum...
Hey, some of us already here are "real Navigators" too. When I went through Nav training at Mather in the early 1980s, we did celestial, drift meters, DR navigation, etc. In fact, my VP first tour we were required to do at least 1 cel shot every 3 hours. This was in addition to the requirement to do a true heading check off Polaris if it was a night flight. We usually ended up doing at least 3 and sometime 4 cel shots per flight. The inertials we had were lucky to be within 50 miles at landing and the Loran suicked. We didn't get Omega until half-way through my tour and I never saw GPS until the second half of my DH tour. P-3 Navs used to really earn their money going to places like Diego Garcia. (And yes I did walk 10 miles one-way every day bare foot in the snow uphill to the squadron....)

The difference is that we did our best to get out of the Nav seat and into the TACCO seat as soon as we could.

The Marine Nav school was at Mather then too. They had there own classes and instructors, but we shared the cel racks, simulators and flights with them.

USMC1775

Here's the deal. Yes I am 41. I have 18 yrs of service. I took a break for a while in my younger days. I will not be flying anymor . The commission is a technical position in the Reserve. As a Reserve officer I can serve until age 62. I asked about the wings because I was told that I could upgrade to NFO wings based on my previous assignments and designations. I was told this by the recuiter (the checks in the mail right). I hope that answered your questions Freakshow. I tried to use small words so your could understand. :) :p