• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Updated list of things to bring?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Something to consider is whether your gait in minimalist shoes will work well during OCS formation runs- you'll have to match someone else's stride and cadence, which will probably be a longer stride and slower cadence, which, as you know, can make it difficult to not heel-strike.

YMMV, just something to think about.

croakerfish

pilot
Wait a sec... From the OCS website:

I would rather just get a good pair of running shoes and not risk something important getting bagged and secured.

This rule was in effect when I was there and NB Minimus shoes were ok. They just don't want you going around in Five Fingers.

Silhouette

I had some good advice from another AW member to try out some interval training. 400M at 80% followed by 1 min break, then 20 push-up/20 sit-up. Do that 8X non stop.

In your case, you never know. Running in boots has to be brutal. Maybe it strengthened your legs and a pair of running shoes will feel like air.
Running in boots is not very fun, but I do pretty well with it anyway. The problem is that when I go back to running shoes, they may feel like air, but my legs feel like tree trunks. Stupid muscle-building CFT. Might try those intervals. Sounds like good stuff.

sunowl

SNFO
I had some good advice from another AW member to try out some interval training. 400M at 80% followed by 1 min break, then 20 push-up/20 sit-up. Do that 8X non stop.

This is a great routine, I started out with 5x a few days ago and then did 7x yesterday, will aim for the full 8x next week. Already I am sure it will help me improve my scores further and maintain shape for PRTs and OCS. Thanks for passing this info along!

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Read Born to run: Go minimalist.
Yes. Definitely read Born To Run....

And when you're done with that.... Consider these. Since shifting to these (which for those of you obsessed with "drop", there is only 4mm) in December I've run six marathons and a 50k, logged over 1,000 miles, am registered for three more 50ks and a 50 miler. No injuries - and didn't have to start over at square one.

Just my .02

USN1855

Found a list from a couple years among for OCS. How accurate is this? Is it smart to bring PT gear and keep the issued gear unused until after RLP? Navy issued stationary? Im unsure about some of the quantities here...but any advice on the list?
Battery Alarm Clock 1
Binder Clips 1 Box
Black Sharpee 3
Black boot socks (good quality. Fox river or Thorlo) 2
Black dress socks 2
Chapstick 3
Clear Nail Polish 2
Deodorant 2
Febreeze 1
Goo Gone Small
Gold ball stud earrings (female only)
Hair Spray 2
Headlamp 1
Heel cushions 1
Hygiene bag 1
Inspection Sneakers 1
Lint Rollers 3
Nail Clippers 2
Painters Tape 1 Roll
Phone card
PT Shorts and Shirt 1 each
Razor 1
Replacement Blades 6
Running Shoes 1
Shampoo 1 (try to find hair and body combo. Saves time in shower and space)
Shaving gel 2
Shirt Stays 1 Pair
Small Tupperware 3
Soap 2
Soap case 1
Stamps XX
Starch/Magic Sizing 2
Stationary XX (Heard Navy issues this. So maybe bring some?)
Stayflo 1
Super glue 2
Tide Pens/Shout Wipes XX (no bleach pains or wipes)
Toiletry Bag 1
Toothbrush 2
Toothpaste 2
Towel 2
Wash Cloth 1
Watch 1
Wet Wipes 1 Box
White Athletic Socks 8 (Crew)
Crew-Neck T 2 Packs each color (White and Blue)
White Underwear 8
Ziplock bag to put your wallet/checkbook/car keys in

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I'm pretty far removed from OCS at this point, so I don't know what the newest list of display items is for RLP.

Having said that, when I attended I brought a lot of items based on gouge to leave in POV for later (eg starch, goo gone, etc), and discovered that there are entire rooms filled with pass-downs of this stuff from previous classes. If you really, really need something that's not on the official to bring list, the candios can make it happen for you via another run to the uniform shop or king hall mini-nex. If your PT gear gets stained and you can't do anything about it, you can go to the uniform shop and get another pair. Also, from what I hear some of the class instructors really cracked down on POV runs in the early stages of training, so if you get unlucky the unauthorized stuff will sit there until after RLP, which is what you would use it for.

The candios are likely to limit your initial belongings to strictly what is on the official OCS website "what to bring" list, so walking in there with all that stuff on day 1 will just be pissing money down the toilet.

Specific things on the list that are unnecessary:
-Binder clips: wtf you need those for?
-Black sharpee: you will purchase a pack of two in your first uniform/item run.
-Black boot socks: You'll buy your own from the uniform shop. Bringing your own is not a bad idea if you have bad feet or are picky, but you'll need more than two pair of boot socks as you wear and sweat profusely in NWUs everyday.
-febreeze/googone/hair spray/staflo/superglue: don't bother. There will be plenty of that stuff around.
-Headlamp: Generally no need for it. Never saw a DI after 18-1900 ish. Had one and never used it.
-PT shorts and shirt: No need. You get issued two sets of PT gear, including long sleeves and sweats. You can use both and still be fine for RLP. Also, the PT gear at OCS used to actually say "NAVY OCS" on it, so you couldn't even use normal fleet PT gear for wear or inspections. Dunno if that's changed.
Note: Get the sweats a size big because the DIs love to make you put on/take off PT sweatpants with your shoes still on as a timed evolution.
-Inspection sneakers: bringin a spare pair of running shoes to switch out is okay. Buying a pair of sneakers just to display for RLP is silly.
-Nail clippers x2: Do you have an issue with nail clippers breaking or something? One set is enough.
-shirt stays: issued at uniform issue.
-crew neck t-shirts:issued at uniform issue. The white ones were really crappy, but now that NWUs is the main thing until candio, it doesn't matter.
-stationary: you are issued navy stationary at your uniform issue.
-body/hairwash combo: space is not really all that much of an issue at OCS. I never felt like I had to cram a lot of stuff all over the place. The extra space a 4" bar of soap will take up is not really all that significant.

USN1855

Thank you spekkio! This was a list I came across from an post from a couple years ago and didn't know how valid it was. You definitely answered some of my questions with the lists. Lol and yes I wondered about the 2x nail clipper myself lol

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Yea reading those lists gives you the impression that you'll be cut off from supplies for 6 months. In reality people in the class will need to go to the uniform shop, nex, etc for various reasons, so the candios will chaperone you there periodically.

jsarc

How does it work with uniforms items one may already have?

I have NWUs, SD Blue and White jackets that don't fit my dad anymore but fit me, and lots of other random items that will ultimately a decent chunk of change. I know I need to bring them, but how does the process work of actually retrieving them, incorporating them, etc.?

Renegade One

None
Wow...I am so far over the hill I can't even remember the last ridge line. I guess it's a head-nod to a "better process" and "more informed" candidate officers than was the case back ...what...seems like yesterday. Lot's of good advice being given/taken here...I chuckled at the part about "so many ironing boards, cans of starch, yadda yadda yadda" being avail as they were "leave behinds".

Just for the sake of a historical note...which I understand is absolutely meaningless to the current thread....and for which I therefore apologize up front:

I carried two things with me on the day of check-in to AOCS: the clothes on my back, and a DOPP kit. After the first 15 minutes (during which I'd signed up for both the F-4 "Orientation Ride" and the "AOCS 8-Ball Tournament"...I'd have signed up for more, but I didn't play golf at the time...), the DOPP kit was gone, and within the next 16 hours, the clothes were gone as well. Everything I needed for the next 16 weeks was given to me the following day.

Seriously, the system seems to be more enlightened, if what I read above is true.

Can we dust the bag? Nobody likes swamp nuts/butts.

8e9cfae38084348b943343e3b3ec5dc6_ra,w403,h403_pa,w403,h403.jpeg