• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Updated list of things to bring?

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Newport, R.I. weather seems to be pretty mild so far. Though I'm not sure what the worst months are there.

THIS
AFTERNOON TONIGHT

sunny.gif
sunnyn.gif

Mostly Clear
Sunny
Hi: 59°F Lo: 31°F

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Newport, R.I. weather seems to be pretty mild so far. Though I'm not sure what the worst months are there.

THIS
AFTERNOON TONIGHT

sunny.gif
sunnyn.gif

Mostly Clear
Sunny
Hi: 59°F Lo: 31°F

I lived in RI for a year and the worst months (weather wise) were January and February. It started warming up around late-Feb, early March.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
So far the only days that have sucked have been when it's rained and been cold which have only been 2 or 3 so far. The wind is brutal, but if you start wearing under armor, #1, it'll show thru your shirt and sweatshirt, #2, you're a dope and #3, the DI’s know everything anyway.

The weather has been really screwy lately but it's going to suck like nobodies business soon.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Do you find the gear they give you is warm enough, or do you freeze your ass off for the first five minutes until PT makes you forget about the cold entirely?

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Do you find the gear they give you is warm enough, or do you freeze your ass off for the first five minutes until PT makes you forget about the cold entirely?

I was in OCS in January in P-cola, it was 30 degrees out for a few mornings (in friggen Florida!), I was never cold outside, they saw to it. They being the Trees. You will be taken care of.

P3sPLZ

Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
The only problem with wearing anything not "authorized" here at OCS under your PT sweatshirt, is half the time, you have to take the dang thing off during a run or some ridiculousness. Your best bet would be to leave it in your car, if you bring it at all, and wait to wear it when/if you hit candio phase. You'd be amazed what a DI on a mission can hit you for and consider "contraband"...also, I'm from Texas, not the coldest state in the world, and I haven't found it to be all that miserable here as of yet. But that's not to say that it won't be bone-chilling, butt-puckering cold come January/February when you finally class up. Whatever you do, don't quit.

Mav0130

I used to wear the under armour under my flight suit because it felt so much better than cotton. that is until somebody told me that in the event of a fire, it would stick to your skin, which I just hadn't thought about. Point is, even though you're asking about OCS...don't wear it when you go flying.

-hahaha! polypro + nomex = a fire-proofed burn victim.

flysupertomcat

Jim told me I can buy Gaydar online
Once again someone that has never been there is chiming in on how it is.......Sometimes you just need to STFU.

-1 on the rep for being dumb.

wow, that was uncalled for. I never said "this is how it is, I've been there done that", I was just saying that if it's covered up I wouldn't think it would be a problem. Just an opinion. It's like some guys shave their nuts, but unless they're out in the open how the hell would you ever know?

I wasn't giving advice, just my .02

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
... I wouldn't think it would be a problem. Just an opinion. ...

I wasn't giving advice, just my .02

But you see, that's the problem - you have no basis in giving this... opinion. You "wouldn't think", because you just don't know. It'd be an extremely bad idea to do something that makes you stand out, that makes you different. You might get away with it for a few days, maybe a week or two, but eventually a DI would notice (or a class CPO) and the whole class could pay. Causing pain for the whole class is not a good way to make friends - believe me, I know. Chances are you're going to cause the class pain at some point anyhow - everybody does. But doing something intentional like that is disrespectful of the process and your fellow classmates.

So, as before, STFU.

neumero4te

Ensign!

Basically they are still issuing the same stuff as in Pcola... so it's like frickin 0 degrees wind chill and youre standing on the veranda waiting to go into chow hall and you are in a relaxed jacket with short sleeve khakis underneath.. MAJOR blower. but as far as PT you normally go with sweat bottoms and tops and a long sleeve t-shirt underneath and a watch cap and your nice dress leather gloves. But if it's really that cold you just go in the gym and warm up there. any runs have been outside though, but yeah no underarmour except for candio maybe. just figure out the first rule of OCS and don't worry about it. as far as what you should get for christmas... GYM MEMBERSHIP. just beat yourself for a few hours every day until you leave, that will help you out more than anything else. oh yeah and don't drive there... bear crawl to my gym right now do it.