• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Updated list of things to bring?

akjim101

So here's my list of what I have packed:

7 white crew shirts
7 white gold toe crew socks
5 fox river black boot socks
3 Navy blue crew shirts
7 White boxer briefs
1 White shower towel
Civvy outfit for check in and flight home after

Shampoo 2-in-1 and body wash
Shaving supplies
Toothbrush/toothpaste/mouth wash
Nailclippers
Running shoes
Running shoes for RLP (never worn)
Spray Starch
Blue Painters tape

Wallet and $300 cash
Cell phone/charger
Timex Ironman Watch
All medical/ID/Vax records/orders/voided check

Heard spray starch/tape helps for RLP if you can use them. Figured why not, if cant/dont need them pretty cheap anyways. Am I missing anything or need more of anything?

Are Navy Blue crew shirts needed? I thought they were issued along with all the other stuff we're required to buy? Also does anyone have recommendation for running shoes? I've been using Nike Free Runs for the past 3 years. However, I was told they are considered minimalist shoes (which aren't allowed) so I'm looking to get something else. Any input is appreciated.

Jules_W

Are Navy Blue crew shirts needed? I thought they were issued along with all the other stuff we're required to buy? Also does anyone have recommendation for running shoes? I've been using Nike Free Runs for the past 3 years. However, I was told they are considered minimalist shoes (which aren't allowed) so I'm looking to get something else. Any input is appreciated.

They are issued, but you should keep them pristine for RLP. You will need more blue ones than you'll need white ones since you'll wear the blue with your NWUs from week 2 until Candio. (That being said, I won't be bringing any crew shirts so it's all up to you)

Brooks running shoes are the best running shoes you can get.
http://www.brooksrunning.com
I recommend the Ghost 6s or 7s, Glycerin 12s, or anything else "award winning."

brogdawg32

Just spoke with an OHARP who just graduated a few weeks ago. He said my list is pretty good, said to bring 2 towels instead of just one. Said to make sure laundry wise that you get through the first week on your own because you can't trust class laundry until week 2. He said don't worry about the starch or painters tape, and he said to bring a few of the blue shirts, but if you don't, you can just buy them at a NEX run anyways. Bring hand soap, also washclothes, you may be able to use electric razors (the class he was Candi-O for was allowed them from check in).

He said don't bring Nike Free Runs, they will probably say they are minimalist. Said that if its a big, bulkier running shoe, that's what you want. He said everything else you need is there, and try to keep as much as you cain an unused state for RLP (of the stuff they issue you).

Bradicus

Ensign, SNA
I just ordered both socks (already use the white gold toes, they are great) as well as the blue crew shirts. Probably gonna have to hit Kohl's or something for the rest.

Jules_W

Just spoke with an OHARP who just graduated a few weeks ago. He said my list is pretty good, said to bring 2 towels instead of just one. Said to make sure laundry wise that you get through the first week on your own because you can't trust class laundry until week 2. He said don't worry about the starch or painters tape, and he said to bring a few of the blue shirts, but if you don't, you can just buy them at a NEX run anyways. Bring hand soap, also washcloths, you may be able to use electric razors (the class he was Candi-O for was allowed them from check in).

He said don't bring Nike Free Runs, they will probably say they are minimalist. Said that if its a big, bulkier running shoe, that's what you want. He said everything else you need is there, and try to keep as much as you cain an unused state for RLP (of the stuff they issue you).

Is this because they don't have this in the bathrooms? Or is this not for what I think it is?

How hard are they on the shoes and who determines if their minimalist? I have UA Speedform Apollo's and really wanted to wear these while there, hope I can get away with them.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
How hard are they on the shoes and who determines if their minimalist? I have UA Speedform Apollo's and really wanted to wear these while there, hope I can get away with them.
I think they're more worried about people showing up with Vibram FiveFingers as opposed to more conventional minimalist shoes. I used New Balance Minimus and was never told not to wear them. Just have a backup plan if case it goes differently for you. Maybe have your RLP pair be something you wouldn't mind running in, and then if you need to use them, you can just pick up another RLP pair from the NEX and save the UA's for after OCS.

LET73

Who said that? Is that how they do it now? We never did anything like that.
@JackThoma5 we weren't allowed to wear no-shows as OC's, it was a uniformity thing.
Oh man is that wrong? That's what kept coming up when I searched the same question in the stupid questions thread. Sorry for the bad (old?) gouge!
We did... back in 2007. We had our gouge books in a plastic bag, and kept them in our socks. Not during PT, though. That wouldn't have worked all that well.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Oh man is that wrong? That's what kept coming up when I searched the same question in the stupid questions thread. Sorry for the bad (old?) gouge!
Might be some old gouge, but no problem. We also had a plastic bag for our gouge packs, notebooks, and pencils, but we didn't need that stuff for PT, so we just left them in our NWU's.