• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Updated list of things to bring?

LegoNavy

I just graduated, so I can tell you what was useful/not useful for myself and my classmates.

You can bring a personal laptop, however you won't be able to use it until your candidate officer phase (last three weeks) and if you get a billet that takes a lot of time, then you won't be able to utilize it much. There were a few guys who had laptops as candios, and they used them at the coffee shop, or to watch movies in their hatch. The thing is, you get a laptop in your hatch after RLP so I personally wouldn't recommend bringing one.

Chapstick: good to go.

Clothes: You are given the opportunity your first day there to buy all the clothes you will need your first few weeks at OCS. This is for everything minus underwear. You can buy socks, white t-shirts, PT gear, etc. I recommend bringing only lots of underwear, and if you have a personal preference on white/boot socks, those. Bring like 10 pairs of your favorite white underwear. That first week doing laundry is not up to you, but the Candidate Officers in charge of you. If you are unfortunate and have C/Os who are unorganized you may not get a lot of your stuff washed.

The only personal things I ended up using were my athletic socks, and black boot socks. They assign you ok black ones, but I got the thicker antimicrobial socks that are super comfy. The uniform shop sells them so you can get them there, but it's just easier if you get some yourself.

BackOrdered

Contributor
The only true currency at Navy OCS: A car trunk full of Sta-fl0.

Anything you need, from uniform items to H-Class spec-ops, you can trade for a Sta-flo bottle.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
A car trunk full of Stay-fl0.

Anything you need, from uniform items to H-Class spec-ops, you can trade for a Stay-flo bottle.
We never really used starch all that much. It's been a year this past Monday since I first checked into OCS, but I haven't used starch yet, neither the khakis nor the dress uniforms. Also H-Class had tons of the stuff in the supply closet, so maybe just bring a can or two for personal use if you want. Our main asset in that realm was the steamer. Handy as hell for the khakis, although get some Febreze from the NEX, since wet khakis smell something awful.

Fronch

OCS 03-15 (IW)
The only personal things I ended up using were my athletic socks, and black boot socks. They assign you ok black ones, but I got the thicker antimicrobial socks that are super comfy. The uniform shop sells them so you can get them there, but it's just easier if you get some yourself.
Are there any restrictions on the athletic socks (length, style, color)? I don't especially want to get blisters running in cotton socks.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Are there any restrictions on the athletic socks (length, style, color)? I don't especially want to get blisters running in cotton socks.
No ankle or no-show socks. They have to be white crew socks. I used those Gold Toe ones, a lot more comfortable than the thin-ass Pro Feet ones you get issued. I even use them as boot socks.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Mine were these, to be exact, since I got them off Amazon. Not sure whether the grey part on the heel will show when you're wearing certain sneakers, and if so, not sure whether class team will mind. Probably not as noticeable as the candidate who will invariably wear some sort of neon, highlighter yellow, hot pink, or otherwise hilariously colored sneakers.

Fronch

OCS 03-15 (IW)
Mine were these, to be exact, since I got them off Amazon. Not sure whether the grey part on the heel will show when you're wearing certain sneakers, and if so, not sure whether class team will mind. Probably not as noticeable as the candidate who will invariably wear some sort of neon, highlighter yellow, hot pink, or otherwise hilariously colored sneakers.
Yeah, replacing my current pair of neon orange running shoes is on my to-do list... :oops:

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Yeah, replacing my current pair of neon orange running shoes is on my to-do list... :oops:
Yeah you can start wearing them again when you're a candio PTing on your own, but when you're in that big mess of OC's on the track, you'll stick out like a sore thumb. Someone in my class had some bright neon blue ones, he got a nickname very quickly.

BackOrdered

Contributor
We never really used starch all that much. It's been a year this past Monday since I first checked into OCS, but I haven't used starch yet, neither the khakis nor the dress uniforms. Also H-Class had tons of the stuff in the supply closet, so maybe just bring a can or two for personal use if you want. Our main asset in that realm was the steamer. Handy as hell for the khakis, although get some Febreze from the NEX, since wet khakis smell something awful.

The question was answered retrospectively. Back in the wash khaki era, you couldn't own enough for RLP.

Givemeinfo

Yeah you can start wearing them again when you're a candio PTing on your own, but when you're in that big mess of OC's on the track, you'll stick out like a sore thumb. Someone in my class had some bright neon blue ones, he got a nickname very quickly.

Unfortunately all the really good women's running shoes (Asics) are in neon colors these days. I have amazing running shoes, like walking on a cloud, but they definitely don't blend in.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Unfortunately all the really good women's running shoes (Asics) are in neon colors these days. I have amazing running shoes, like walking on a cloud, but they definitely don't blend in.
Yeah my sister runs cross-country, so I know that feel. I was able to find some nice ones from New Balance in black and grey, but the ones I have now are a less subtle highlighter yellow.

LegoNavy

The only requirement for socks is that they be white , at least where class team can see them, which is anything above the ankle. For shoes, it really doesn't matter. We had a few guys with neon green/yellow shoes and they weren't given any grief for them, but most things grief related are class team dependent, so YMMV.

On the topic of shoes, though, I highly recommend buying two pairs of good workout/running shoes. You will wear out at least one pair's worth of sneakers at OCS, so my recommendation is to have a second brand new pair that you don't use for your first three weeks. Then use the second pair as your display sneakers for RLP, and then after week 3 you can alternate using them with your first pair so your first pair doesn't wear out as quickly, or just wait until your first pair wears out to start using them.

Givemeinfo

Yeah my sister runs cross-country, so I know that feel. I was able to find some nice ones from New Balance in black and grey, but the ones I have now are a less subtle highlighter yellow.

I'll check out what they have, I'm pretty partial to Asics because my feet have never been more comfortable.

The only requirement for socks is that they be white , at least where class team can see them, which is anything above the ankle. For shoes, it really doesn't matter. We had a few guys with neon green/yellow shoes and they weren't given any grief for them, but most things grief related are class team dependent, so YMMV.

On the topic of shoes, though, I highly recommend buying two pairs of good workout/running shoes. You will wear out at least one pair's worth of sneakers at OCS, so my recommendation is to have a second brand new pair that you don't use for your first three weeks. Then use the second pair as your display sneakers for RLP, and then after week 3 you can alternate using them with your first pair so your first pair doesn't wear out as quickly, or just wait until your first pair wears out to start using them.

Thanks for the advice, I do plan on bringing two pairs when I do go :) I have some time since I just got selected but I'm soaking up the info