• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Unloggable Flight Hours

gonad

Unless "Pat" is a CFI,MEI (respective to what you are flying), the hours don't count for anything. Putting them on an OCS application would be the equivilant of putting the hours you play a flightsim on the computer (not an FAA-FTD). I know it sucks not being able to count your time even though you are learning something...but that's just how the cookie crumbles. ... if you can convince "Pat" to get a CFI or MEI you'd be in business - of course technically speaking even that can be shady because the FAA usually wants to see the flight conducted for the sole purpose of training if it's logged as dual.

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
This is my kind of post...good info!

Of course you know that George Plantagenet, 1st Duke of Clarence (and brother of Richard III) is alleged to have been executed by drowning in a butt of Malmsey.

There seems to still be some question about the value of a "butt ton". Also, a "tun" is equivalent to two "butts"..even more confusing. The figures below may be for U.S. gallons, vice Imperial...I dunno.

Barrel Name

Size (Gallons)

Pin or Polypin
Firkin
Kilderkin
Barrel
Hogshead
Butt
Tun

We got mad thread-jackin' skilz

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
[threadjack]

What if you're a licensed pilot (PPL/Instrument/whatever) and you're going through primary/advanced/etc? Do you just log the hours in your military logbook, or in the one you were using for GA as well?

[/threadjack]

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
[threadjack]

What if you're a licensed pilot (PPL/Instrument/whatever) and you're going through primary/advanced/etc? Do you just log the hours in your military logbook, or in the one you were using for GA as well?

[/threadjack]

I have been meaning to log my hours into my civvie book but just haven't gotten around to it yet. I know someone posted an electronic spreadsheet a while back that you could use to both track mil and civil time as well as convert from military to equivalent civil time (since we don't log anything before T/O or after landing)

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
The better question is how many hogsheads does it take to fill the KingKat pool.
That depends on how many drunken aviators are swimming in it. Each aviator displaces about a firkin, but a fat, drunken senior officer could easily displace a kilderkin. Same guy being thrown in might splash a barrel out.
Maybe you need to come back and do an engineering study...

eyes2theskies

Hungry for Flight
Thank you guys! (And I mean "guys" as respectfully as possible).

Pat is a CFI, I do get basic info (and experience) on instrument flight too, I will definitely soak up all the time and knowledge I can get out of this sweet deal on top of outright enjoy it, and:
"Tun = Butt × 2 = 256 gal. (A tun is a ton)
A Tun would actually be about 2,048 lb. but is a pretty close estimate, given that you would derive the weight and volume all from mouthfuls of water.
"

So is a tun a measurement of volume or weight in this case?! Because 8.3lbs x 256 gal doesn't come out to 2048...

...those crazy English crackers!

xmid

pilot
Contributor
If Pat is a CFI then how is it unloggable?... Is your name Puma Swede?...

KBayDog

There seems to still be some question about the value of a "butt ton". Also, a "tun" is equivalent to two "butts"..even more confusing. The figures below may be for U.S. gallons, vice Imperial...I dunno.

Spike - What is the value of a "shit ton?" While I'm at it, what's the conversion factor one would use to determine the value of the "metric shit ton?"

eyes2theskies

Hungry for Flight
If Pat is a CFI then how is it unloggable?... Is your name Puma Swede?...

Well, Pat just happens to be flying for various reasons, and invites me along.
We don't meet with the intention of doing flight lessons;
there is no material review;
no formal ground lesson;
no set topics that we cover;
nothing formal or official about it...
doesn't that combination make the hours unloggable?

Pat's logbook mentions when we fly together, but I don't think mentions that I am being taught.

No my name's not Puma Swede - is anyone's? Who the h&ll would name their child after a shoe?

gonad

If it is a single engine aircraft a CFI would do...multi needs a MEI...instrument needs a CFII. It would be a little weird to have your first ten hours include a BE20 or something. You can log whatever you want, but just think of how you'll explain it to someone who questions it. The general FAA consensus is that it would not be ok to log dual if you are not working towards a private in some sort of way (ie 61 or 141)... if you're flying empty 91 non rev legs, it probably wouldn't work. Now if you're flying a single, burning holes in the sky, you could log dual if he was logging it dual given. (provided you were covering some basics of flying).

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I'd worry less about logging time, and more about having fun. Your board isn't going to care about your prior flight time, and neither is your first (or second) onwing. Just have fun, learn what you can, and buckle down and bust your butt when you get here.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
If he is a CFI you should be able to log the time regardless of whether they are organized lessons or just you boring holes in the sky. As far as I know, dual received is dual received---Pat should know. If everything checks out, log them. Should things not pan out for military aviation, you'll be many hours (and dollars) ahead on your way to the PPL.