• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Unloggable Flight Hours

eyes2theskies

Hungry for Flight
I've searched using the search function and also by browsing, and haven't found anything about unloggable flight hours. Shame me if I'm wrong.

Two Questions:
1. Is the Navy interested in unloggable flight hours of potential candidates?
2. Is there any way to document unloggable hours? (I know, oxymoron, sounds like, "Is there a way to make a deaf person listen?" ..ehh, no offense.)

My situation is this:
For financial reasons, I have just a few flight lessons under my belt. Literally, only a few.
A career pilot, Pat, invites me flying a few times a month. Pat has become a sort of mentor and lets me have the controls at times. Pat teaches me and gives me pointers while we're in the sky, while I'm in control, and also when I'm not, much like my formal Flight Instructor.
In addition to the plane I'm officially learning in, I have been learning to fly in turbo props, single engine, twin engine, experimental, and homebuilt planes with Pat - I have not done anything major like land or fly in severe weather though. Sometimes it is only a few minutes that I am in control, though sometimes it is for 30, 45, or an hour, or more.

I thought maybe it was a once or twice deal, but Pat is still inviting me back, and now, I have more cumulative hours of being in control of a plane in the company of this pilot than I do with my Flight Instructor. I've been learning a TON from Pat and even my FI has remarked on how much progress I've made flying with this person. Still, my log book shows a few measly hours.

Is it appropriate to show this experience on my OCS application?
If so, is there a certain way to do that?

Also, is there a set way to go about documenting this kind of experience otherwise? Outside of, say, jotting it down on my schedule.

Any advice is appreciated, even if only mildly relevant. Thanks in advance! And thank you Pat.

blarged

ready
You don't think it will help in terms of my ability, or in terms of my competitiveness as an applicant? Or both?

Is there a numerical equivalent of "butt ton"?

I'm no expert (and I'm very confident my 25 hours of PPL training will have absolutely no impact on my application for Information Warfare), but from following the forums for quite a while... it seems to me just as VetteMuscle427 stated above, it is ratings, not hours that will do something, if anything.

I have heard specifically that the only ratings that they really even care an ounce about is instrument ratings.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
Is Pat a boy or a girl? And if a girl, is she hot?

Honestly, I don't think hours or ratings really matter on an application. Someone feel free to correct me though. However much Pat has helped you, the Navy is going to teach you everything you need to know their way.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
This is what I've gathered from reading/perusing/browsing. Prior flight time is only going to help you in two areas:

taxiing and IFR flight

while you may or may not have any experience taxiing an aircraft, it does not sound like you have much experience with instrument flight which seems to be the big helper.

This is, of course, from an inexperienced person.

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
eyes2thewskies said:

Good grief! Every tar should know that a Butt is 126 Imperial gallons. You probably don't even know that 63 gallons is a Hogshead, not half-assed;-)

Man, that information has been gathering dust in some gray matter wrinkle for a while...

Anyway, keep flying as much as you can. SA gets built in tiny increments. Don't sweat the hours in your log book. They won't make a bit of difference getting in or getting jets.

torpedo0126

its helps you get over that "oh shit I am flying feeling"...especially for those of us who thought we would never make it this far after having one flight in IFS.

In fact, I am pretty sure the my first IFS solo could have been the most dangerous thing the federal government has allowed in a few years.

Krafty1

Head in the clouds
I've heard that flight time and ratings only make a difference as far as the board is concerned is deciding between two otherwise equal candidates, Pilot A has a PPL and Pilot B does not but take that with a grain of salt.

Even if you if you can't put it towards your application, log as much as you can. It sounds like you are receiving free or cheap flight instruction/flight time and that is about unheard of in the civilian world, enjoy it.

Go Horns

I was in essentially the same situation as you and my OR said not to worry about it since there weren't enough hours to make it worth listing. FYI: this is also coming from an inexperienced guy.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
You don't think it will help in terms of my ability, or in terms of my competitiveness as an applicant? Or both?

Just taking the controls here and there en route is not going to add that much to your skill set. Not that the experience won't be cumulative over time, but to put things in comparison, there are dudes I have known who showed up on the doorsteps of Navy flight school with > 1000 hrs of officially logged time, a couple with regional airline, cropdusting, and even aerobatic experience. Have fun doing whatever it is that you and Pat are doing, but don't count on it prepping you for what could lay ahead. This topic has been beaten to death, but as someone who came in with a fair amount of civilian flight experience, I can say that it hasn't really helped me all that much. Instruments, yes. Most other things, not as much.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I wouldn't bother documenting your unloggable time on your app. Keep flying the time if you enjoy it, as the experience can still provide good training, but it's not going to help in any official manner.

I was in a similar experience growing up. I had a couple hundred hours of flight time flying w/ my dad who was not a CFI (me doing everything...radios, flying, nav...but not "signing" for the a/c). I was either too young to log the time as a private pilot (couldn't get my license yet since I was only 16) or I hadn't had time to get my license yet due to school (finally got it at 19). I'd log the time in my logbook on the left side just for my own info, but wouldn't put the hours in my totals on the right side since it wasn't legal time. After a while, it wasn't even worth doing that.

Renegade One

None
Good grief! Every tar should know that a Butt is 126 Imperial gallons. You probably don't even know that 63 gallons is a Hogshead...

This is my kind of post...good info!

Of course you know that George Plantagenet, 1st Duke of Clarence (and brother of Richard III) is alleged to have been executed by drowning in a butt of Malmsey.

There seems to still be some question about the value of a "butt ton". Also, a "tun" is equivalent to two "butts"..even more confusing. The figures below may be for U.S. gallons, vice Imperial...I dunno.

Barrel Name

Size (Gallons)

Pin or Polypin
Firkin
Kilderkin
Barrel
Hogshead
Butt
Tun