• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

University of Tennessee outlaws student athletes possessing guns

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I'll give it 6 months before they get their ass sued off for violating the students 2nd amendment rights. They're not saying on-campus they're saying at all, even if you live off campus. Guess you can't got to UT and hope to ever shoot skeet or trap or air pistol or .22 in the Olympics. How about if you're a ROTC student?

I expect better of UT.

http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=11988690

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Way to treat the symptoms and ignore the disease . . .

Crazy8

Our head coach told us rifles were okay, but instructed us to leave our pistols at our parents' houses. The ony kid who complained was later arrested for flashing a gun during a fight. I don't think a policy like this will actually prevent any incidents. The kids who are dumb enough to cause problems won't adhere to it.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
I love how some colleges think they are above the Bill of Rights because they are in academia. Thank god this didn't happen at Ohio State or I would have something more to say to the alumni association and our president.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
UT?

There can only be one UT

campus.jpg

govols1

Mack Brown hasn't had the problems that UTK has experienced recently with student athletes getting kicked off for weapons charges. Personally, as a UT student, I support the decision to prevent athletes from carrying guns in hopes that it works. I think in a couple years they'll rescind the ban anyway (or sooner if there is an uproar) The number of suspensions and expulsions due to gun charges is absurd and must be stopped. IMO

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
I get it. This is a bad thing. OK. However, let's not get hysterical about how these guys' rights are being violated in some horrific way. The fact is that they are, by definition, not like regular students. Quick, what were the names of the two football players that were arrested for the attempted robbery? You don't know? That's because they were only identified as "two Tennessee football players". Some dude named Tyler Smith flashing a gun at a party would be barely worthy of a blurb in the "Police Reports" section of the campus newspaper. However, attach the words "star basketball player" to his name and it's national news. Student athletes agree when they sign on to play sports at the university to abide by several rules that may or may not apply to the general student population. That's because they represent the school, not just their own faces.

Case in point: last year BYU quarterback Max Hall called University of Utah fans "classless". Who cares? People are always trash-talking their rivals right? Except in this case we all know that's what he said because it made national headlines on Sports Illustrated and ESPN. He was then forced to issue your standard "I didn't mean to offend you when I called your sister a whore and said I hope your entire family rots in hell" apologies that public figures have memorized for such occasions. Fans were calling for him to be booted off the team. So were his rights violated?

The truth is that if you're going to play the game, you've gotta live by the rules. Whatever they may be.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
The college pays your tuition, you abide by their rules...seems simple enough. Kinda like having strings attached when mommy and daddy give you money...
Don't like it, go elsewhere...

I personally think the new rule is stupid and adults should be treated like adults, but noone is putting a gun to their head and telling them to stay on the basketball team (not that they could do anything about it now)

All sorts of organizations have rules that are above and beyond the constitution (like military housing/barracks not allowing weapons in your room, or the lack of first amendment rights while in uniform, etc.) why is this any different?

Reactions: m26

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Mack Brown hasn't had the problems that UTK has experienced recently with student athletes getting kicked off for weapons charges. Personally, as a UT student, I support the decision to prevent athletes from carrying guns in hopes that it works. I think in a couple years they'll rescind the ban anyway (or sooner if there is an uproar) The number of suspensions and expulsions due to gun charges is absurd and must be stopped. IMO

This ban is not about carrying guns on campus. This is about student athletes possessing or using guns even off campus. While you are very happy it appears to opt not to exercise your personal rights I think you will find that other student athletes are maybe not as happy to do so.

I shot NCAA Skeet in college (not well I might add) and this rule makes even the formation of a squad illegal.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
The college pays your tuition, you abide by their rules...seems simple enough. Kinda like having strings attached when mommy and daddy give you money...
Don't like it, go elsewhere...

All sorts of organizations have rules that are above and beyond the constitution (like military housing/barracks not allowing weapons in your room, or the lack of first amendment rights while in uniform, etc.) why is this any different?

Note that this rule does not apply only to scholarship athletes. Argument 1 invalid.

Comparing the rules that are imposed on you by the military to those imposed by a university is not applicable. While the military clearly presents limitation on your your rights, public speaking uniform, weapons in the barracks etc, in no case does the military ever completely remove a right. In this case, University of Tennessee has said you may not keep and bear arms ever while a student athlete at their school.

Now, how strictly will this be enforced? No clue, but the first time some guys decided to visit a range on a weekend and do some shooting and someone decides to make an issue of it the university will find it's ass in court. Certainly none of us want to have guys waving guns at parties and it would be great if there were no inappropriate use of guns in the world but to think that putting this out without some consequences is just stupid. I'll give it six months before it's gone or they're in court.

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
This ban is not about carrying guns on campus. This is about student athletes possessing or using guns even off campus.

They don't want them going after kiffin, I herd him crying about death threats while he set in his new Cali mansion.

Seriously this is BS, the guys flashing "their gat" at some fight are not going to stop illegally having a gun from this. Just penalizing law abiding citizens, cliche I know.

Bevo16

pilot
OBTW, the Vol football players who got arrested this past fall pulled the robbery with a pellet gun.

The rule is stupid for several reasons:

1. It is not going to prevent young/stupid student athletes from doing doing stupid things. Hell, armed robbery is already against the law and that didn't stop those two idiots.

2. It will be impossible to enforce until after the fact. See example above.

3. It will put the school in a position where it has to punish legal activity. Say a kid comes back from Christmas break with some pictures of a deer that he bagged while hunting with his dad. The pictures make it pretty obvious that he didn't jump out of a tree and stab the deer to death, so now the coach has to suspend the player for going deer hunting. Forget about those holiday duck hunting trips too. Player posts pictures of his hunting trip on his facebook account, he gets thrown off the team...that's fucking retarded.

4. ^^^^this is going to be used against Tennessee in recruiting starting right now. Before to long Urban Meyer is going to be in a living room with a stud linebacker from nowhere Mississippi who is considering the Vols and the Gators. There is going to be a 10 point buck on the wall, and Urban is going to ask the kid and his dad "How do you feel about giving up hunting for the next 5 years, you know Tennessee does not allow their athletes to go hunting." Helloooo Gators.

Even without the whole "Constitutional Rights" angle, the rule is beyond stupid.

navymic

pilot
This ban is not about carrying guns on campus. This is about student athletes possessing or using guns even off campus.

This is a good policy. They should enforce it at USNA. Just think how easy drill and marching tours will be without a freakin' M-1 on your shoulder.

Wait... do they even still do that?

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
I bet that if an attorney even sniffs at this policy, the school will throw it out well before it goes to court.