• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

University of Oklahoma NROTC

blackjack_rj

Alpha PHlyer
I just wanted to see if there were any Sooner NROTC members on the site that could tell me more about the unit. I will be attending in August as a STA-21 OC. Any feedback on what's good around there would be appreciated.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Try calling the unit, introducing yourself, and then asking if they could put you in contact with any of their OCs if they have them.

blackjack_rj

Alpha PHlyer
Try calling the unit, introducing yourself, and then asking if they could put you in contact with any of their OCs if they have them.

It's funny that you said that, because I just did that. I just received my welcome aboard package, and I talked to my sponsor who is an OC. It seems like he is a little less enthusiastic about the unit, but as always, I formulate my own opinion once I get to where I am going. I am also taking leave in a couple of weeks to go back home, and while I'm there, I am stopping by the unit. I appreciate all of the suggestions.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just wanted to see if there were any Sooner NROTC members on the site that could tell me more about the unit. I will be attending in August as a STA-21 OC. Any feedback on what's good around there would be appreciated.
Well, at least you're going to a school that has some connection to UF. Michigan, however...good God what an awful school. Be glad you're not going there.

iwishiwaseatin

Hmm mhhmm
pilot
Im a graduating 1/C MIDN @ OU. Its currently small (under 50) but the command is really excited to do anything and everything to make ROTC worthwhile and something that people want to be at.

blackjack_rj

Alpha PHlyer
Well, at least you're going to a school that has some connection to UF. Michigan, however...good God what an awful school. Be glad you're not going there.

No matter where I go to school, I'll always be a Wolverine! OU, however, fit my family and me better than U of M right now. The only connection I have with Florida (at least last year) is my high school teammate that, not only played for UF, but also saved their season and allowed them to jump ahead of UofM, Jarvis Moss.

blackjack_rj

Alpha PHlyer
Im a graduating 1/C MIDN @ OU. Its currently small (under 50) but the command is really excited to do anything and everything to make ROTC worthwhile and something that people want to be at.

I have spoken to OC Jenkins, so I have a small idea of our (OC) life in the ROTC, but I would honestly like to know how you feel about the OCs in your unit. I'm just curious. Also, how well does the unit compete with other ROTCs at the university. I have been to the Air Force ROTC, I think it was, and they had something on there about how they ruled the last competition, but I would like that to change, obviously.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...

I find the smaller units are like that, a pretty good situation I think. I transfered from one close to 100 to one no larger than 30. I found with the smaller groups (obviously) there is a lot more unit cohesion, possibilities for billets as early as 4/C year (if you want). I took a lot away from the time I spent in athletics and really like the smaller "team" atmosphere, and was glad I made the switch. The OCs here really seem to enjoy the unit, and usually that's a tell-tale sign of a unit's success.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I find the smaller units are like that, a pretty good situation I think. I transfered from one close to 100 to one no larger than 30. I found with the smaller groups (obviously) there is a lot more unit cohesion, possibilities for billets as early as 4/C year (if you want). I took a lot away from the time I spent in athletics and really like the smaller "team" atmosphere, and was glad I made the switch. The OCs here really seem to enjoy the unit, and usually that's a tell-tale sign of a unit's success.

I have heard the same. At UNM we have a small unit with a high OC/MECEP population. It's nice because we have a lot of fleet experience and an intimate relationship with our staff officers.