• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

University of Arizona Tucson

user2176

STA-21 Core Selectee FY08
Contributor
I plan on attending University of Arizona Tucson, anyone already there? Anyone else plan on attending?

I know it is a nuke school, I will be attending as a CORE select and finish my major in Computer Science. I'm leaning towards the SWO :eek: direction right now.

Now I wait for my acceptance letter. I have 4 transcripts that have to be sent.

k_smittay

I plan on attending University of Arizona Tucson, anyone already there? Anyone else plan on attending?

I know it is a nuke school, I will be attending as a CORE select and finish my major in Computer Science. I'm leaning towards the SWO :eek: direction right now.

As for the school I don't know.....

Tucson though.... it is like a concrete prison. Hot, not much to do, and nothing to really look at!

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot

All I gotta say is fuck U....of A

user2176

Contributor
Wow what animosity. :) I've lived in Arizona for 3 years, it's not that hot. What is bad is the winters in Minnesota when it doesn't snow.

HuggyU2

None
I just talked to a friend of mine there. She's about a mile off the campus, and says she won't go out at night. Pretty rough area.

Creatre

BDCP Hopeful
Theres about 4 or 5 of us at ASU I think. Definintely don't do anything to make us think UofA is better, because you'll lose fast, hah. :D

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
I graduated from U of A ROTC in 2004. Overall, it was a great experience. As far as Tucson being a rough area, it is the same as any other large city (Phoenix too). There are places you go and places you don't. It is hot in the summer, but for me it was worth it when I was enjoying 75 degree days in December. I really liked the school as well, although it is up to each person to make the academic experience what they want it to be, since it is not intrinsically the most rigorous academic enviroment. The classes are big, especially in the intros. You can slack ridiculously or work your butt off (I did both at various times) depending.

user2176

Contributor
Theres about 4 or 5 of us at ASU I think. Definintely don't do anything to make us think UofA is better, because you'll lose fast, hah. :D

I was at ASU for a year and a half. One of my friends said it best as to why he was there. "If you forget why you moved to Tempe just look around campus and you'll remember." I think he liked the eye candy.

I loved the weather. I could ride my bike (I was a semi pro cyclist at the time) all year long. And I did, on the nice days in the winter and the 105 days in the summer. And I never had to scrape ice off a car window before I left for class in the winter.

So if ASU had a NROTC it would be better but it doesn't so U of A it is. :D

Ralph

Tucson is a great town. If you like outdoor activities there are plenty of things to do. The area around the campus isn't rough. South Tucson is bad. Lots of high end homes poped up on the hills due to Californians cashing out.

SHAF

Idle for glory
pilot
I will see you there buddy. I am headed to Pima for a semester, then transfering to U of A to finish a computer science major myself. Pima and U of A share the same NROTC unit. I leave for boost 17FEB. I used to live in AZ and have been to Tucson and the U of A area a lot. Its really nice. Granted, some of the neighborhoods immediately surrounding U of A are trashy, but the campus is awesome, and Tucson isnt as bad as people make it out to be...

k_smittay

Tucson is a great town. If you like outdoor activities there are plenty of things to do. The area around the campus isn't rough. South Tucson is bad. Lots of high end homes poped up on the hills due to Californians cashing out.

Tucson is the pits....... but to each his own.

k_smittay

How do I explain that tucson is the pits...

It is a "concrete nightmare", in the words of some U of A students... look up the annual average temperatures and tell me that there is alot to do, especially outside... crime is horrible, the closer you get to the border the worse it is... traffic sucks... the scenery is boring, BUT.. some people love it.

Try to visit it before you move there and see if it is for you. I am from Phoenix, and tucson was never an option when we were trying to decide where to go. The proximity of family isn't worth having to live there.

I will say again, try and visit it before you decide to live there. The southwest isn't like anywhere else in the USA.

SHAF

Idle for glory
pilot
"Concrete nightmare..." and "annual average temperatures", I lived in Yuma and once played football in 125 degree weather. Your body adjusts just fine. If you cant get outside in the summer thats your fault for being too whiny, lots of people manage just fine. Crime isnt the greatest, but its not like living in South Central LA or anything, traffic around the school tends to get clogged, true, oh, and as for proximity to the border, Nogales is about 45min-1hr away. The scenery is terrible, if say, you are used to the midwest with nothing but flat green fields. Tucson is surrounded by mountains and gets awesome sunsets. In fact, the actual scenery, looking out beyond the circle K, or the Walmart, is quite picturesque, like a painting. As if to say the desert didnt have a beauty of its own--rubbish. By the way, Phoenix AZ is the 2nd fastest growing city in the US (http://money.cnn.com/2007/06/27/real_estate/fastest_growing_cities/index.htm). Proximity wise, its not that far from Tucson, so as far as scenery and "concrete nightmare" is concerned, well, I wouldnt put much stock in all that.

k_smittay

"Concrete nightmare..." and "annual average temperatures", I lived in Yuma and once played football in 125 degree weather. Your body adjusts just fine. If you cant get outside in the summer thats your fault for being too whiny, lots of people manage just fine. Crime isnt the greatest, but its not like living in South Central LA or anything, traffic around the school tends to get clogged, true, oh, and as for proximity to the border, Nogales is about 45min-1hr away. The scenery is terrible, if say, you are used to the midwest with nothing but flat green fields. Tucson is surrounded by mountains and gets awesome sunsets. In fact, the actual scenery, looking out beyond the circle K, or the Walmart, is quite picturesque, like a painting. As if to say the desert didnt have a beauty of its own--rubbish. By the way, Phoenix AZ is the 2nd fastest growing city in the US (http://money.cnn.com/2007/06/27/real_estate/fastest_growing_cities/index.htm). Proximity wise, its not that far from Tucson, so as far as scenery and "concrete nightmare" is concerned, well, I wouldnt put much stock in all that.

I think you need to re-read my post turbo. Oh.. and yes the crime is that bad.. I also said the scenery is boring.. and brown, nothing about terrible scenery.

About the concrete prison.. I put stock in what current students at U of A say.. not someone who "lived" in yuma.. 4 hours away.