• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Units for a Supply Officer

Jones29681

First of all, I appreciate all of the information I've found on here while I work on my DCO packet for next year. This is a great forum.

1. I've done some research into the different "swim lanes" for a reserve SC Officer, and had a question. Is there a list of reserve units out there that a SC Officer could affiliate with? I found a listing of the 11 Navy Cargo Handling Battalions, but it doesn't seem current. I know that some of them were decommissioned recently(past couple of years). I recognize that it's all about an available billet at the time you're looking, but I'm still interested to know what's out there. I know RaginCajun has said that finding a billet is main challenge presently. I'm just trying to get a handle on exactly how far I could potentially be traveling for drill if I'm fortunate enough to get selected.

2. As for choosing a swim lane, if there are any SC Officers on here who wouldn't mind sharing what they do/what unit they're in to give me an idea the differences between SCM and Operational Logistics. You can message me if you'd like.

Thank you guys for all of the information.

-AJ

RaginCajun

I typed out a really long answer. But it comes down to this. If you are selected, you'll disregard and "plans" for swim lanes and take what you can get when you can. Plan to travel. ALOT.

Jones29681

Direct and to the point. I like it.

I suppose I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around the long term benefit that the Navy gets by having guys affiliate with units really far away. I understand that you take what you can get at that moment in time, but it feels like a retention issue. I'm not sure how many years somebody can feasibly give to the Navy if they are constantly flying across the country to drill. It seems like it's a recipe for A LOT of junior officer turnover. I'll defer to your words of wisdom RC, and track your journey over the next months/years!

RaginCajun

I'm only just at the beginning of my journey, but I am fortunate to have a lot of other Supply officers in the unit with me in various stages of their careers. I hope my prior response didn't come off rude.

Basically, it was just explained to me recently (at BQC-NR) that if you expect to make it, you need to have experience in ALL areas of supply. I know people who fly cross country each month for a billet. Personally, I am in the same thought process as you. Junior officers might not want to spend all their time/money flying back and forth. But hey, that's what they want from us so.... We begged to play their game.