• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

United States signs peace deal with Taliban

Notanaviator

Contributor
I think a lot of post WWII success had to do with the fact that both Germany and Japan were high functioning societies prior to the war. While they weren't necessarily democracies they had prior democratic vestiges and high levels of societal and technological advancement.

As y’all would put it, shack. Outside of some selectively pretty nuanced handling with the Japanese by McArthur, we took successes in those cases that were grounded in not starting from square one, and based our approach to nation building from there on in the idea that we can give an opponent democracy and be good to go. It has... not usually worked.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Some people just aren’t made for democracy based governance. Let them have their warlords and tribes...
It's really hard to read this as anything other than racist, particularly because of the word "made." Made by whom? and how? I'm not saying you're racist, but it's the interwebs, and the words you choose are all we have to go by.

Perhaps you meant the more nuanced, "tribalism is so entrenched in some peoples/cultures/nations that no external entity can hope to convert them to democracy; they'll just have to evolve (culturally, not genetically)."

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's really hard to read this as anything other than racist, particularly because of the word "made." Made by whom? and how? I'm not saying you're racist, but it's the interwebs, and the words you choose are all we have to go by.

Perhaps you meant the more nuanced, "tribalism is so entrenched in some peoples/cultures/nations that no external entity can hope to convert them to democracy; they'll just have to evolve (culturally, not genetically)."
It’s not a function of race. Afghans aren’t a race anyhow. It’s a function of culture. Culture can and should be critiqued. There are aspects of white, black Latino and Asian cultures that should be examined. Unfortunately, that gets confused for racism.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wonder how this will impact Reserve mobilizations
12304(b) authorities already exist for just this reason—decoupling the MOB train with OCO. All a unit has to do is successfully POM for a MOB billet "in support of GCC requirements" and less than 365 days active duty. So your standard 10-month BOG we all know and love. All the same bennies, dwell and everything, because it's an invol MOB. My unit is spooling up the process to try to support our active component, as our XO is a GS on the civ side and knows the ins and outs of the process.

Whether the Joint Staff and Fleet Forces actually uses 12304(b) going forward? Check the Magic 8-Ball, I guess.

10 U.S. Code § 12304b

(Oh, and DJ is still a thing, too . . .)

robav8r

None
Contributor

Attachments

• 929BA210-9024-4C27-9FAF-ECFF179D1994.jpeg
    929BA210-9024-4C27-9FAF-ECFF179D1994.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 6

Python

pilot
Contributor

My mind immediately went to a culture of people or a particular country’s citizenry, not an ethnic group. Really easy to not read that as racist.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor

Give me a fucking break.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor

Pashtun, Tajik, Hazara, Uzbek, Aymāq, Turkmen, Baloch, Pashai, Nuristani, Gujjar, Arab, Brahui, Pamiri, doesn’t matter what race. That country is an unmitigated shithole that only understands power through force and/or money.
They just don’t get the concept of a peaceful transfer of power based on a representative vote of their citizens.
They get tribalism and warlords....

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I’m sure there are afghans who understand the peaceful transfer of power and democratic institutions.

They just all are about to get beheaded by the dude wiping his ass with his left hand while wearing flip flops and carrying a 50 year old Kalashnikov.