• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Uniforms! Holy Cow! These puppies are expensive! (Bonus: Tax writeoff gouge)

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

full Commander

To make it clear he's not a three-quarters Commander, of course. :rolleyes:

DESRON 60/CTF-65 is a good deal, but you likely won't end up there. You're probably going to end up in the N2 shop with all of the other intel bubbas. They are always short-handed for some reason. There are also a couple of other billets and opportunities at Sixth Fleet that are off the beaten path. I'm not sure exactly what they do, but they always came to work in suits and traveled a lot.

You will be playing zero SWO games during your career unless you end up stationed on an amphib or small boy as the IWO or whatever they're calling them nowadays. Intel/IP/IW/METOC officers are too valuable a commodity for that. That's not to say that you won't work with some shitty people, though. But that's any job.

Sorry if it seemed insinuated, but I'm not going into IWC. Great information anyways.

But, Reserve EDOs apparently often go to 'fun' places like the Horn of Africa, Central Asia, Mideast, so that's something to look forward to.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
tom-selleck-magnum-dress-whites.jpg

6_10_medium.jpg

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

Looks like his mustache got thiccer once he joined the Navy. But jeez, those eyebrows are even thiccer than mine. I'm impressed!

Anyways, on the topic of uniforms, I knew the Fox River brand was mentioned elsewhere on the forum before and I've always heard from folks it's very good. Found some boot socks from them on Amazon for anyone who wants to shell out some money. It's probably not Darn Tough quality, but at least it's a solid color. No crazy rainbow patterns.

Last edited by a moderator:

bryanteagle6

Fox River brand

I wear thorlos and fox river currently. Both good. If you buy them - buy them straight from the company on deal days and at military rates. I prefer the wick dry max over stryker

that's how all this started (HA) I simply asked if the "black sock" requirement in the REGs was actually enforced. I figured in the fleet it wasn't, but I was more so thinking I didn't want to give a chief any ammunition at DCOIC. Ive got like 15 pairs of coyote color already.
Im gonna try and scoot by with my boots too - per advise from a few on here already.

Pags

N/A
pilot
You dorks are totally nuking this. Buy and wear whatever socks you like and fit your budget. No one cares what type of socks you're wearing.

Ive worn smartwool, darn tough, wigwam, Nike, under armour, fruit of the loom, Hanes, and probably a bunch of others. I've worn crazy pattern socks in uniform to the delight of the ABs, Air Boss, XO, and CO. But then again I've also worn cowboy boots in uniform so maybe I'm just a crazy individualist.

Last edited:

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Sorry if it seemed insinuated, but I'm not going into IWC. Great information anyways.

Roger, but BryantEagle is.

But, Reserve EDOs apparently often go to 'fun' places like the Horn of Africa, Central Asia, Mideast, so that's something to look forward to.

Maybe. Depends upon what's needed. Qualified EDOs also have the option of assisting the various RMC dets in Bahrain, Rota, Singapore, and Japan. The hard part is going to be getting qualified on time. There's a lot of stuff in the EDQP that requires you to be doing the job day-in and day-out, and some of my friends who are EDO reservists have said it's a steep power curve getting qual'd when you're only drilling and going on active training every so often.

Either way, as an EDO, nobody is going to be bothering you about your uniform. Hell, you'll be around a majority of DoN/DoD civilians most of the time.