• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Uniform to college graduation?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To piggy back the question what about to my buddy's marine boot camp graduation? I figured SDBs but I'm new to this dance and don't want to look like I'm strutting through Parris island like a tool.
If there is an invitation, it should specify a uniform for mil guests. That said, if you know you need to be in uniform and have no idea what uniform to wear, wear SDBs. Navy SDBs or Marine Service Alphas are the default "No one told me what uniform to wear uniform." As long as you're not showing up to turn wrenches, everyone knows this, and should not give you too much of a hard time.

There should be a POC somewhere who is handling the families' and friends' dumb questions, though.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
Understood. More of a 'do you wear your uniform to military ceremony' question or is it taboo and come off as attention seeking. Not exactly easy to blend in on Parris Island in SDBs. I get your point though and thanks for the info.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The single biggest reason I wouldn't want to wear a uniform around Parris Island is the sheer amount of time I'd have to be holding up my right arm because of all the Privates running around there. And heaven help you if you miss that one Marine <insert senior rank> in Training Command Mode that you didn't see and "blew off."

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
The single biggest reason I wouldn't want to wear a uniform around Parris Island is the sheer amount of time I'd have to be holding up my right arm because of all the Privates running around there. And heaven help you if you miss that one Marine <insert senior rank> in Training Command Mode that you didn't see and "blew off."
you def win. Mind wasn't even going that direction. Thanks

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was at Ft Jackson for NIACT when coincidentally my brother-in-law graduated boot. So I wound up going to his thing in my DCUs - uniform of the day at NIACT and I didn't have any other uniforms on hand. I didn't feel like I particularly stood out, though if I'd had a choice I probably would've worn whites. And I actually didn't wind up doing all that much saluting; most of the boots were either in formation or nowhere near me the whole time.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
To be fair, those were Army guys. Would they have saluted even if they were right next to you? Iffy.

BigRed389

None

Would most even know what a Navy officer in SDBs looks like? It could be mass confusion. :D

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor

Went to an AF basic graduation (buddy of mine went guard...34, father, husband, career...now an E3...), official invite indicated chokers, looked bad ass I tell you. but my arm did get tired. Would have preferred to go in civies but he asked that I go in uniform.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
What would be an appropriate uniform to wear to a girlfriends college graduation in May? Or just skip it and dress up nicely in a civilian clothes?

I disagree with everyone else on this thread on this. Show up in chokers man! The girls will love it. It may be the only shot you have at a 3-way in college.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I disagree with everyone else on this thread on this. Show up in chokers man! The girls will love it. It may be the only shot you have at a 3-way in college.
The uniform gets you the introduction; no more. Your own game or lack thereof still has to carry you the rest of the way. Put a bumbling douchelord in chokers, and the only thing you've accomplished is that his lack of game is now also disgracing the United States Navy.

Not that I'm accusing the OP of being a bumbling douchelord.