• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Uniform Questions and a Poll!

Read the posted questions and vote for 1 in EACH category!

• CNT Vs Poly-Wool: CNT

Votes: 22 20.6%
  • CNT Vs Poly-Wool: POLY-WOOL

Votes: 84 78.5%
  • Leather Vs Waist Coat: LEATHER

Votes: 101 94.4%
  • Leather Vs Waist Coat: WAIST COAT

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Leather Vs Peacoat: LEATHER

Votes: 90 84.1%
  • Leather Vs Peacoat: PEACOAT

Votes: 14 13.1%
  • Raincoat: YES

Votes: 25 23.4%
  • Raincoat: NO

Votes: 80 74.8%
  • Khaki Combo Cover: YES

Votes: 20 18.7%
  • Khaki Combo Cover: NO

Votes: 87 81.3%

• Total voters

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No more difficult than finding a guy in coveralls.

As gay as the NWU is, I'd rather wear that than khakis. More comfortable, no shirt stays. I'm just going to postpone buying it as long as possible.

Pags

N/A
pilot
They're also acceptable for getting awards now as well. Sad.
The blueshirts used to get awards in, well, blueshirts, so that's an even change.
This is what you get when you make your uniform decisions by polling a bunch of 18-22-year-olds. :rolleyes:
Ugh. Always a good idea to let that demographic make your decisions for you.

As gay as the NWU is, I'd rather wear that than khakis. More comfortable, no shirt stays. I'm just going to postpone buying it as long as possible.
It's a different type of uniform. PW Khakis (the ones with ribbons, etc) are a service uniform, just like SDBs. NWUs are a working uniform.

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
..., no shirt stays. ....

Which brings me to another question (too bad I can't "add" a poll).

Who actually wears these godforsaken things anyway? The ONLY time I ever wore shirt stays was in NSI when we "had" to. They pop loose every 5 mins. Never had a prob with a properly tucked in shirt without 'em.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
The blueshirts used to get awards in, well, blueshirts, so that's an even change.

The guys still stand watch on the quarterdeck in their service uniform but SDOs can wear a working uniform? IT MAKE-A NO SENSE AND IT LOOK A-SMURFY.

Anyway. This is overthinking a plate of beans.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
But you're forgetting the one big advantage of Combat Smurf over bags - the go-into-town-for-lunch rule. And I fucking hate khakis, CNT, P/W, wash, whatever. I wear them when held at gunpoint, never otherwise.

The current raincoat and black windbreaker designs suck. They're shapeless and look like shit. That's why no one wears them if they have any other choice. If they at least tried to make them look a little more tailored and military - say, if we went back to the old-school khaki jacket, and a raincoat cut more like an overcoat, with a belt or something - it might get worn more often.

Incidentally, the old-school khaki jacket was never de-authorized. So it's still kosher per the uniform regs; you just may have a hard time finding one. eBay or a thrift shop's about the only way. If you gotta wear khakis, need a jacket, and it's too warm for the leather and you're surrounded by Shoes who will fuss about wearing the lightweight Nomex, it's a better alternative than the black Hefty bag.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Did the brass ever answer the question about how a guy in Cammie NWU's would be found if he fell overboard? I always wondered that one myself...

Hopefully he's still treading water and you're looking for his head/cranial, and not for his back because he's floating facedown in the water.

Who actually wears these godforsaken things anyway? The ONLY time I ever wore shirt stays was in NSI when we "had" to. They pop loose every 5 mins. Never had a prob with a properly tucked in shirt without 'em.

Marines. Having worn a shirt/slacks in my previous life, I know sitting/standing cycles quickly pull enough material up in the back to make a nice balloon. Looks worse than it feels.

torpedo0126

Did the brass ever answer the question about how a guy in Cammie NWU's would be found if he fell overboard? I always wondered that one myself...

I thought I remember reading/overhearing somewhere that in the original design NWUs were supposed to turn orange when doused with saltwater. That probably was just speculation...I don't really remember

So it's still kosher per the uniform regs; you just may have a hard time finding one. eBay or a thrift shop's about the only way.

I believe you can special order the khaki (Ike) from the NEX. Back in API, a few students did that actually.

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
...otherwise it's the piss cutter. To really piss the shoes off, put a dip in the cover.

Young'uns, take note. This man speaks the truth. Always, always, always, put a little dip the back of the "fry cook" piss cutter when you are an aviator.

I am now waiting for a recent OCS grad that is still brain washed to flame me.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Always.....

This man speaks the truth. Always, always, always, put a little dip the back of the "fry cook" piss cutter when you are an aviator.
I am now waiting for a recent OCS grad that is still brain washed to flame me.

If any "recent OCS grad" is stupid enough to try that, he'll soon learn the meaning of SHOCK & AWE!:spin_125:
BzB

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

I wear them because my uniform looks like crap if I don't. The women's shirts were not designed for the female figure, as in they assume if you have broad shoulders and a somewhat larger chest, you must be a giant fatass too. Before I tailored my shirts, I probably could wear them all the way through a pregnancy, but even after a ton of tailoring they still don't fit quite right and without shirt stays I look horrible. Another reason they need to adopt that new shirt they have for enlisted females with the black and tans for the rest of the uniforms.