• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Uniform Questions and a Poll!

Read the posted questions and vote for 1 in EACH category!

• CNT Vs Poly-Wool: CNT

Votes: 22 20.6%
  • CNT Vs Poly-Wool: POLY-WOOL

Votes: 84 78.5%
  • Leather Vs Waist Coat: LEATHER

Votes: 101 94.4%
  • Leather Vs Waist Coat: WAIST COAT

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Leather Vs Peacoat: LEATHER

Votes: 90 84.1%
  • Leather Vs Peacoat: PEACOAT

Votes: 14 13.1%
  • Raincoat: YES

Votes: 25 23.4%
  • Raincoat: NO

Votes: 80 74.8%
  • Khaki Combo Cover: YES

Votes: 20 18.7%
  • Khaki Combo Cover: NO

Votes: 87 81.3%

• Total voters

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
Ok folks, just a couple random uniform "preference" questions for you.

Take into consideration the "hypothetical": you are a brown-shoe officer in a shore tour where you wear khakis to work every day. The climate is 4-seasonal (let's just play out a DC scenario).

1. Which do you prefer, CNT (100% polyester) khakis, or poly-wool khakis?

2. When it's mildly chilly (not quite leather jacket weather), would you consider wearing the poly-wool waist coat (the one with the zipper up the front... kinda swo-ish)?

3. If it's REALLY cold, would you wear the peacoat? Or stick with the leather?

4. If it's cold and raining, would you wear the long black raincoat?

5. Do you or would you ever wear a khaki combination cover?

Remember, I'm not asking if you are authorized to wear the above mentioned items, just what your preferences are... satisfying a bit of curiosity.

Thanks!

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
Ok folks, just a couple random uniform "preference" questions for you.

Take into consideration the "hypothetical": you are a brown-shoe officer in a shore tour where you wear khakis to work every day. The climate is 4-seasonal (let's just play out a DC scenario).

1. Which do you prefer, CNT (100% polyester) khakis, or poly-wool khakis?

2. When it's mildly chilly (not quite leather jacket weather), would you consider wearing the poly-wool waist coat (the one with the zipper up the front... kinda swo-ish)?

3. If it's REALLY cold, would you wear the peacoat? Or stick with the leather?

4. If it's cold and raining, would you wear the long black raincoat?

5. Do you or would you ever wear a khaki combination cover?

Remember, I'm not asking if you are authorized to wear the above mentioned items, just what your preferences are... satisfying a bit of curiosity.

Thanks!

Preferences of a relative newb, so get those grains of salt ready.

1. CNT khakis, any day of the week. They are SO much more comfortable than either the P/Ws and don't stick to your underclothings and/or skin if they get wet...IMHO.

2. The black one? The SWO one?! HELL NO! :D I'm wearing the leather. If I sweat a little, so be it, at least there's no doubt what community I'm in.

3. Leather unless its REALLY cold and I have to add gloves to the mix. Then I'd probably put the peacoat on, but keep in mind I have only worn my peacoat twice since I commissioned.

4. Nope. But then again, I'm from Oregon, where we don't wuss out with such silly articles as 'umbrellas' and 'raincoats'. I'll probably have to change my ways on this one eventually, as wet uniforms don't look so professional...

5. Why do we even have that thing? I'm pretty sure the only officers who wear the khaki combo cover are in Hollywood movies or on JAG.

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
Same situation I had on a NATO staff tour in London. Poly-wool Khakis and the leather flight jacket worked fine the entire tour and for tons of travel. Loved the poly-wool, which was realtively new then. Didn't feel like plastic in hot weather and could go for a while between trips to the cleaners.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I can answer for myself after working on a small staff in Norfolk/Hampton Roads:

Polywool/leather/leather/leather/walk faster or maybe use an umbrella if it's raining THAT much/who was the one guy who voted for combo cover??? :D

Pags

N/A
pilot
PW with the Leather jacket. CNTs get railroad tracks too easily. PWs always look much sharper. Let the Shoes dress like shoes, who cares if you look different?

In the event it's really cold, I'd probably consider wearing SDBs with a Bridge Coat. Classy. And then you can dress down the SDBs in the office and they'd be more comfortable than khakis. But if that's not an option and it's REALLY cold, then yeah, I might consider the peacoat.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Get your flight jacket lined with a removable aramid liner. Most decent tailors can hande this and there are great ones in DC. Very warm. Never resort to shoe-dom.
Good luck...

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
Great answers and comments so far! The poll is turning out interesting... let's see if we can get 100 votes, I'd love to see how the numbers go!

navy09

None
If I were a pilot I'd only wear the leather- it's just cool.

Ike jacket, swoter, and peacoat are SWO property.

I think khaki combo covers should be reserved for the CPO community.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
I wear my khaki combo cover once a year at CPO initiation, otherwise it's the piss cutter. To really piss the shoes off, put a dip in the cover.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
I like the poly-wools better than the CNTs. I don't even know where my ROTC Ike jacket is and I wouldn't wear it if I did. Leather all the way. There are probably very few instances where you'd have to spend enough time outside that either a raincoat or a peacoat would be required to deal with their respective weather. Wear your leather jacket and be one of the cool kids.

I've never worn the khaki combo cover. Maybe if and when Service Dress Khaki comes out and hell freezes over causing me to buy a pair will I wear a khaki combo cover.

torpedo0126

Preferences of a relative newb, so get those grains of salt ready.

1. CNT khakis, any day of the week. They are SO much more comfortable than either the P/Ws and don't stick to your underclothings and/or skin if they get wet...IMHO

you sure your not getting P/Ws confused with wash khakis (cotton)?

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Uh... No. I'm pretty sure he meant CNT's. They don't wear cotton shirts at wet t-shirt contests because they resist sticking to skin... I'll take CNT's anyday of the week over P/W. You can pick them up off the floor boards of you car and they still look good, plus you don't smell like a wet dog in the rain. Well... not as much...

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
you sure your not getting P/Ws confused with wash khakis (cotton)?

100% sure that I meant CNTs. I only wore my P/Ws as a mid, and thought they looked awful, not to mention I'm pretty sure I got the crappy brand, cause they seemed paper-thin to me. The day I commissioned, I switched to CNTs and haven't looked back.

But like I said...one newb's opinion.