• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Uniform Question for son who will be commissioning.

chefmike

My wife and I would like to buy a set of Dress uniforms for my son as a commissioning present. I have heard there are some tailors who are better than others. The NEX stuff is fine for day to day, however I always thought a tailored uniform for formal occasions is a good thing to have. Yes I understand that 0-1's do not have a lot of opportunities to "put on the dog" as it were but I thought a Dinner Dress Whites and a DD Blue would serve him well for a few years. Also a cover as well. East Coast would be preferable
Thnx

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Abbott Uniforms is really good. They even have mess dress on sale right now (both white and blue).

Still, I don't know many JO's who wear mess dress even for the rare dining out. Even Academy guys who have it seem to gravitate more toward Service Dress bowtie, rather than Hingewear.

A more useful gift would be some nice SDBs or Aviation Greens. At least those will be worn once in a while. Again, recommend Abbott's or Brooks Brothers for SDBs.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
You could always go with Abbotts; his dress whites and SDB's would be more useful than a set of dinner dress uniforms (I'm assuming when you say dinner dress you're talking mess jacket with cumberbund, mini medals etc etc). Pick up a set of the nice whites from the NEX and get them tailored (or just buy the 'athletic cut' chokers), and spring for the Brooks Brothers SDB jacket and pants, and I can't stress this enough: the brooks brothers shirt...your son will thank you. I have a NEX cover...it's no big deal. When it gets dirty, I pull the white combo part off and either wash it or go buy a new one. It's easy that way.

Or you could always just get him some Navy Aquaflage! I just ate that shit sandwich...talk about a pissed off JO. "Why the f*** do I need these, especially since the size I need is nowhere to be found in any of these exchanges!"

Edit: PropAddict beat me to it.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
My father purchased the dress uniforms for me just prior to winging. I was winged at an Air Force base and it was more of a formal affair so I wore one right away. I was the only JO with them at my fleet squadron and I didn't receive any flack. Including my wedding, I maybe wore them 10 times before I put on O-4 (required O-4+). I bought another set on my own dime because they seemed to shrink when I drank more beer:) I liked having them.

That being said the advice above is solid. Knowing what I know now....I would have preferred some nice (=comfortable/wears well) set of khakis and/or SDBs...possibly some nice brown shoes (http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151930&highlight=brown+shoes). He will get more use out of items like that.

On another note my father-in-law bought me a nice set of wings. I still wear them and I think of him every time I pin them on. Just an example of a gift that he would use often and remember came from you. Dress uniforms really won't do the same thing

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My wife and I would like to buy a set of Dress uniforms for my son as a commissioning present. I have heard there are some tailors who are better than others. The NEX stuff is fine for day to day, however I always thought a tailored uniform for formal occasions is a good thing to have. Yes I understand that 0-1's do not have a lot of opportunities to "put on the dog" as it were but I thought a Dinner Dress Whites and a DD Blue would serve him well for a few years. Also a cover as well. East Coast would be preferable
Thnx

This also depends on what community he ends up in. While the P-3 folks above may wear their SDBs and working whites a lot, and choose not to get Mess Dress, those of us in the TACAIR community do the opposite. IMO, the issue uniforms will be all he needs, plus he's going to gain some weight in the next few years, so getting him "fancy" uniforms now may be a waste. If you get him anything, get him some Mess Dress and a sword. Just some things to consider from someone who has been around the block a few times. ;)

Brett

exhelodrvr

pilot
You might consider getting him a sword instead of a uniform. As the others have noted, the dress uniforms are worn rarely, especially by JOs, and while they will last a long time, if he gains weight they may not fit in few years. Swords are forever (sorry, DeBeers) and are a great keepsake/mantle adornment/etc. even when he is no longer in the Navy.

navy09

None
Buying him a cover is a great idea. The Mess uniforms are most definitely overkill. The set will set you back $1000+ (for the Abbotts or Brooks Brothers) and he'll likely wear each once or twice in the next 5 years.

Sword, watch, or a gun are also great ideas.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd recommend a Sword with a nice display case. He will display and cherish it for years to come.

navy%20officer.jpg

sword_case3.jpg

-ea6bflyr ;)

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Damn, how did I never think to get a display case? My sword is still in the original box from the Mid Store. It comes out at weddings, I shine it up, and it goes back in the box.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
The In-Laws got me a sword shield for X Mas. It's pretty legit. Mahogany looks really good with the sword, and the guy even called and asked them what kind of Aviator I was so he could engrave the proper wings on it. Nice gift.