• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Uniform at a Wedding

Okay to wear a uniform at a non-military wedding?

• Yes, Full Dress

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • Yes, SDBs

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 26.7%

• Total voters

nf_utvol

Platinum Ensign
Hey all, got a uniform question that I'm not finding an answer to anywhere, and no one in the office seems to know a solid answer.

First off, some background: some friends of mine are getting married this weekend, both of whom have requested me to come in uniform wearing my sword. I previously had (jokingly) said something along the lines of, "You guys are getting married? Sweet, a chance to wear the sword!" Which, unexpectedly, they were not only all for, but excited about. As in, have brought it up since, with the groom apparently bringing it up to others. Mind you, initially I hadn't seriously planned on wearing my uniform, let alone full on ceremonial dress, as it's not a military wedding.

So, the question, would I be a complete douche for wearing full dress, sword and all, to the wedding or reception? Definitely would be ceremonial dress blues, not chokers, if it happened. Best I can tell, it's not a violation of any particular regulations, since weddings are under the whole "ceremonies and solemnities" bit, but I wanted to ask around.

As of right now, I'm kind of thinking screw it, they requested me to wear it, and anyone who would feel negatively I'll probably never see again anyway. Please call me out if I'm wrong!

Thanks!

Last edited:

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ask them which variant. Seriously. I've had friends get married in the middle of December wearing chokers. It's a wedding, so it's more about what the couple wants, as long as you're within uniform regs and not looking/acting like a jackass.

nf_utvol

Platinum Ensign
If You go in jocked up, you better bring a stick to keep the bridesmaids off you.

Hmm, didn't think of that...the g/f might wrest the sword away and use it for its originally intended purpose if they get too feisty...

Don't want to create too bloody of a scene at the reception, hah!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Ask them which variant. Seriously. I've had friends get married in the middle of December wearing chokers. It's a wedding, so it's more about what the couple wants, as long as you're within uniform regs and not looking/acting like a jackass.

Ditto. I knew a couple who got married in Wisconsin in December and uniform was still chokers. Of course everything was indoors.

Sonog

pilot
I wouldn't do it to because I would feel like it was drawing unnecessary attention. Does the couple REALLY want you to show up dressed?

I like to get sloshed at weddings and spill a couple of drinks, say some inappropriate things, and some other stuff that I don't think the Navy would like me doing in full dress uniform. To each their own.

croakerfish

pilot
I say go for it. The couple obviously wants you to and it's definitely permitted for you to oblige them.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's their wedding. If they asked you to be in uniform, be in uniform. Granted, if I was in your shoes, that request would rate an "are you sure?" Mainly because it's considered bad form to look like you're trying to draw attention away from the people actually getting married, and other people might talk. But if they really mean it, it's their show, so knock yourself out.

azguy

None
It's their wedding. If they asked you to be in uniform, be in uniform. Granted, if I was in your shoes, that request would rate an "are you sure?" Mainly because it's considered bad form to look like you're trying to draw attention away from the people actually getting married, and other people might talk. But if they really mean it, it's their show, so knock yourself out.

This. I've even been to weddings where both bride and groom are active duty and they choose civilian attire- and even then there is always one doucher that shows up in chokers hoping to get laid. Bad form.

Maybe you can show them a picture of what full dress looks like just so they are on the same page. SDBs are cool if that's what they want, but I think you would look like a clown in full dress when no one else is in uniform.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If your friends are requesting you to wear your uniform, go for it but leave the sword at home. That's a little over the top especially if you will be the only one in uniform.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Full-dress gongs-and-sword might be a bit much. Otherwise: Fuck. Yes. And standby for incoming bridesmaids.

There's some Emily Post type thing out there somewhere about the military equivalent to civilian formality levels (or whatever you call it), e.g., Black Tie = mess dress. Generally SDBs with ribbons would be perfectly appropriate to wear to a winter time wedding, especially if the couple asked you to.

ltedge46

Lost in the machine
None
If you're part of the wedding party and they are wearing black tie, mess dress is appropriate. If the groom is in coat and tie, SDB. If you are in the audience, I would stick with SDB's in either case. You don't want to dress at a more formal level than what your participation level calls for. But, if the bride and groom are in shorts and flip flops and want you in mess dress, go for it if it doesn't make you uncomfortable.

Before you strap on the sword though, ask the officiating clergy, sometimes they do not allow weapons of any kind inside the church. At my wedding, in a base chapel, the priest requested no swords inside the church.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just for the love of G-d don't wear Dinner Dress (SDBs with a bowtie, aka "Service Dress Bozo"). If it's black tie, either pony up for proper mess dress, or go rent a tux.