• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Unertl Scopes

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Any UNERTL experts herein?? At least some guys with a good working knowledge???

My learning curve can only go UP on these fine scopes. If you DON'T know anything about them --- please save the inane comments and don't waste everyone's time with youtube posts :sleep_125:sleep_125 ... at least until we get goin' here ...

I have some application questions, some mounting questions, and some "repair" questions.

Thanks in advance .... :)

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I've shot their 10X they made for the USMC. I don't have any experience with the older stuff if thats what you're looking for. They are solid as a brick.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Just ordered one of their "unmarked" tactical 10X's today --- making a "correct" replica (below pix) that it will find a nice home on.

m40a1standardwu0.jpg

I need to do some more research on the mounting of the older scopes on M70's and '03's .... I keep running into pictures with variations on each respective rifle with regards to the mounting(s). I haven't talked with anyone directly @ Unertl yet --- do they "rehab" older target-style scopes??? Mine are probably 95%, but I'd like to get 'em a little better, if possible.
unertltargetscopeal6.jpg

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I'm jealous... On their website they list the contacts for repairing old scopes as:

Who do I contact for repairs to my old scopes?
Unertl Optical Company
Attn: Service Dept.
2900 S. Highland Dr.
Bldg 18c
Las Vegas, NV 89109

TEL: (702) 369 4092
Fax: (702) 369 4571

Hope that helps. In my opinion the Unertl 10X is about as good as it gets. Clarity can't be beat and its built in the USA. If you have a good set of rings you can drop you rifle out of a tree then run it over with a car and you will maintain your zero.

Xtndr50boom

Voted 8.9 average on the Hot-or-Not scale
Forgive the lack of research (been awhile since I read the book), but didn't 'White feather' Carlos Hathcock use Unertl scopes on his sniper rifles?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Forgive the lack of research (been awhile since I read the book), but didn't 'White feather' Carlos Hathcock use Unertl scopes on his sniper rifles?

Welcome to yesterday!:D;)

I have a Mannlicher Schonauer at home in Pennsylvania (thank god) that has a Unertl fixed 4x scope on it. One of the rings had started to lose its bluing pretty badly and it was a bear trying to find a replacement. Took almost a month. That may be your biggest challenge as I would assume the rings for the tactical scopes are even more difficult to find. I hate to say it...but I think we found them on Fleabay...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Got a BIG answer today from Unertl ... directly from one of their "big guns".

usmcunertlfg0.png

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]M1903A1 Rifle With 8-power Unertl telescopic sight -- now, THAT's a lotta' scope!!!

[/FONT]They are going to reproduce the "original" USMC 8X sniper scope later this year. Pricey -- over $1500 .... but when properly mated to an '03 Springfield or a pre-64 Winchester M70 .... you're going to have a NICE stick that will represent one of the best examples of military "precision" (don't want to say the bad word :)) rifles to come out of the past 60 years ....

I'm waiting in line, for sure.
:)

Xtndr50boom

Voted 8.9 average on the Hot-or-Not scale
Welcome to yesterday!:D;)

yesterday...today.... 40 years ago. It's all good. I bought the book on him ~ 6 months ago, and god damned.... I wish all it took to shoot like him was the scope....

Great read... Marine Sniper!

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
No expert, do have one. Stamped R.A. Litschert. 25" in length. 10 Power. Paints target well. Finish is in great condition(for age).

Attachments

• aa001.jpg
    aa001.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 56

Pugs

Back from the range
None
What is the purpose of the spring in the middle of the scope?

The scope floats between those two mounts with small adjustment points touching the scope. The recoil spring allows it to be reset to the same spot after the recoil.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The scope floats between those two mounts with small adjustment points touching the scope. The recoil spring allows it to be reset to the same spot after the recoil.
Funny thing is ... many/most marksmen of the period removed the spring and manually put their Unertl 8X scope back into battery after each shot. Don't ask ME why ... but a quote from Gunnery Sergeant Hathcock should suffice:

"....
I did take off the recoil springs, however. I preferred returning the scope to battery myself each time I shot, because then I knew it went back to the same place each time....."

He should know .... :)

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Funny thing is ... many/most marksmen of the period removed the spring and manually put their Unertl 8X scope back into battery after each shot. Don't ask ME why ... but a quote from Gunnery Sergeant Hathcock should suffice:/QUOTE]

Indeed I have read the same thing. Mine often took a nudge to get back into battery so I'm guessing they were after the repeatability marksmanship thrives on. Removing it is not trivial and involves removing the eyepiece so I suspect they were cut off. No idea if these scopes were filled with some sort of inert gas. If they were I suspect that mine had leaked out years ago. Here's a close-up of the spring on the one I just sold (which was a 10X dehorned Ultra Varmint).

L1000138.jpg
[/IMG]

Is the general idea behind that so that the jarring of the weapon firing doesn't eventually knock the center off?

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Is the general idea behind that so that the jarring of the weapon firing doesn't eventually knock the center off?

Suppose so. Scopes of that vintage were not known for durability the way we count durability today. They WERE loads better than the previous generation though. The one I had never lost it's zero but it was never on anything heavier recoiling than a .243