• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Unemployed before OCS

Wiley

Quick question for you guys... My company recently downsized and I lost my job. I am eligible for unemployment but I am worried that this wouldn't look good on my application to OCS. Does the Navy ask/review unemployment history? It would be nice to take a couple of weeks off to study for the ASTB but I don't want to jeopardize anything.

Tyler

!
pilot
Contributor
My job was in limbo while I was applying, and I wasn't "best friends" with my newest boss. He had been given our terrirtory to manage in addition to his regular area in order to keep HIS job, so he wasn't exactly thrilled about meeting all of us. Needless to say I wasn't sure what in the hell he'd say about me if the Navy started digging into my employment references.

So my solution was to list my employer on my app, but I included in my application, a form letter that asked the board not to contact my current employer. It is a pretty standard procedure according to my recruiter.

Sooo, you figure out what all you can do with that, but be warned that the security clearance people can speak with every employer you've had in the past 7-10 years, and they will want you to explain any gaps in employment. Then again, getting laid off wouldn't be detrimental to your sec. clearance, and it is commonly completed after the boards anyway.

Himbo

Lex Talionis
None
My company did the same exact thing six months before I went into OCS. I told the recruiter that I was collecting unemployment and detailed why. I also listed it on all of my applications and again simply stated that I was laid off due to "down sizing." I never had a problem. Good luck.

E2Cougar

NFO
None
I had a similar experience. I had a poor relationship with my previous employer and made sure that it was documented thoroughly. Didn't have any problems that I know of getting accepted.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unemployment isn't a problem for the Navy. Maybe seven straight years of unemployment would be a problem, but your situation? Not weird.

Neither is it a problem for later getting a security clearance. Lying about being unemployed (or why you found yourself so) would be something to raise flags...makes them wonder what else you're lying about or hiding.

joshmf

To add to this, on the SF-86 you'll fill out for your background investigation, you'll need to account for your employment status for the past 7 years, INCLUDING any periods of unemployment. It's completed chronologically, so there can't be any unaccounted for gaps in employment. So whether you file for unemployment insurance or not the Navy will find out that you're unemployed (unless you lie on your SF-86, which isn't advisable.)

So go ahead and collect unemployment, you've already paid into it and it doesn't hurt anything.

Cowboah

Can you collect unemployment insurance after swearing in?

I swore in today and signed all my paperwork (including direct deposit and payroll paperwork). I don't ship out for OCS for another 3+ weeks and have been collecting unemployment since I was laid off about 1.5 mos ago.

My question is: Will my first Navy paycheck date back to today when I swore in or when I actually begin OCS? My recruiter seemed to think I don't start getting paid until OCS starts and that continuing to collect UI wouldn't be a problem but he wasn't sure.

I'm not trying to cheat any system. I tried calling the Unemployment Office about 50 times today and couldn't get through to ask them. I haven't "returned to work" but I have lined up a new "job".

Anyone had a similar situation?

jfulginiti

pilot
None
Can't you get a job at Walmart or something? I worked in a pizza joint in Philadelphia cooking, cleaning, taking orders, etc etc for $6 an hour while I was waiting to start TBS.

AJB37

Unemployment isn't really that big of a deal. The bigger problem would be if you are going to have any issues with debt and late payments and such. That stuff gets looked at for security clearances. I didn't take unemployment when I was eligible after getting hurt at OCC 199 and going back to OCC 201 because I was able to live of the money I made at OCS. If you're in a situation where you need it I would just go ahead and take it.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
My question is: Will my first Navy paycheck date back to today when I swore in or when I actually begin OCS? My recruiter seemed to think I don't start getting paid until OCS starts and that continuing to collect UI wouldn't be a problem but he wasn't sure.

Your pay will start the day that you check into OCS. Good luck.

BTW, is it still E5 pay for (non prior) OCs?

alpineskier

gear up, Newspaper, your airplane
pilot
E5 pay while at ocs. You will notice your bank account growing at ocs and think you are making tons of money becuase you dont spend any. Then you will get your uniform bill a week before you graduate and crap you pants when you see how much it is. In all I spent over 3.5K while at ocs (not just on uniform stuff).

beaverslayer

pilot
In all I spent over 3.5K while at ocs (not just on uniform stuff).

On kind of a related note--I keep hearing that it is a good idea to bring a couple hundred dollars in cash to OCS. I am scraping the bottom of the barrel to get through my last year of college, and will probably end up reporting to OCS with about 85 cents to my name. Is this going to be a big hassle? Or is it just something that would be convenient but not necessary?