• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Unarmed Veteran vs. Church Shooter

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
unarmed veteran vs. church shooter:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22198709/

“I promised myself after Columbine, and I told my four daughters, that if something like that every happened and I was there, I would go after the shooter, because you want to protect people,”

I guess 'dialogue' only works when someone is willing to fire back.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
After two brushes with robbery, criminal assault and injury @ 15+ years ago ... I made a conscious decision to NEVER BE A DEFENSELESS VICTIM, at least to the best of my abilities. As a result, I invested beau coup time and $$$$ into education and training AND later instructing in various firearms disciplines as it turned out ....

Remember: the only one ultimately responsible for YOUR safety is the guy you look at in the mirror every morning.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
"I took a few fragments – very minor – in my left forearm" -great quote

I'd always like to think I could act when something like that happens, but you never know. You hope you never have to experience anything at all like it, but hope you can can come to the rescue.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
“I promised myself after Columbine, and I told my four daughters, that if something like that every happened and I was there, I would go after the shooter, because you want to protect people,”

Here is the most important lesson from the story, some people hope they can respond, while some people know they will respond, and that makes all the difference.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here is the most important lesson from the story, some people hope they can respond, while some people know they will respond, and that makes all the difference.

I don't think anyone ever really 'knows' until they are there.

UMichfly

pilot
None
Anyone else smell a glory whore? I'm all for the idea of taking one's own fate into your own hands and doing whatever you can to improve that kind of situation but all it seems like that guy did is harass a security guard (spineless or not), yell at the shooter from behind a post, and then try to put himself in the center of the media spotlight. Maybe I'm missing something in the article and maybe I'm a cynic but my "Horse's Ass Alarm" went off too early in the article to ever know. The other security guard who made sure that the jackhole shooter had a few extra holes in him before he shot himself definitely deserves some praise though.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
..."She kept yelling, ‘Surrender,’ and returned fire the complete time.”

Which is kinda like backing away from the threat, shouting "DON'T HURT ME!! DON'T HURT ME !! ", and all the while emptying the magazine into them .... :eek:

But she did a good job, nevertheless ....

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I don't think anyone ever really 'knows' until they are there.

I agree, people can talk all they want here in the comfort of their own homes but when the bullets fly, that's when you see what happens. I was unfortunate enough to be in a bar in College Park when a fight broke out and subsequently someone got shot right outside. I managed to keep my cool for the most part but when bullets are flying indiscriminately and anyone is a target, things get very different.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My understanding is that these "security guards" were simply church members with CCWs that volunteered to provide security. The female has said she had "some law enforcement background."

Soo, if there had not been legally armed private citizens present, far more people would have been killed and injured.

xnvyflyer

xnvyflyer
pilot
"At that point, another security guard, 42-year-old Jeanne Assam, arrived with her gun drawn. Unlike the male guard, she was using hers."

I would like to smack the ever loving shiite out of the male security gaurd after I shake the hands of the other 2 that were worth a damn.