• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Un-Commanded VTOL

Flugelman

Contributor
Was something turning up in front of it or was it just high winds? Either case, for want of a couple of dollars worth of rope or chains, a horse, errrr airplane, was lost. Dumbass. :(

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
There's an approach article out there where this almost happened to a T-34 in corpus when the winds started gusting over 75 knots. Cursory googling gives me nothing, but enterprising young folks can probably find it.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Reminds me of my cross country in the VT's. We RON'd for 2 nights in Minneapolis and operated out of the International airport there.
We were at the 2nd in line at the hold short behind a"heavy". We had to ask the tower to relay to the heavy to be easy on the power since something like this could have happened.

We got buffeted pretty good, but no damage.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Was something turning up in front of it or was it just high winds? Either case, for want of a couple of dollars worth of rope or chains, a horse, errrr airplane, was lost. Dumbass. :(

I don't know if I'd be quite that harsh. On my "long" solo XC as a student pilot, I flew my trusty Grumman Traveler into KPBI. Apparently the wind started to pick up from when I hopped out and apparently, the lineman decided he didn't need to follow my instructions to put a chalk on both main mounts (I worked as a lineman, so it's not like I think they're beneath me). Bad on me for not checking on him. The Grumman has no nose wheel steering, so it's a known problem that if you only put on chalk on a main mount or don't put it on the nose, it will spin into the wind. When I came back out after paying for my fuel, the plane was 90 degrees in the wrong direction with no one noticing that this was an issue. Certainly a learning point that I took with me.

helolumpy said:
Reminds me of my cross country in the VT's. We RON'd for 2 nights in Minneapolis and operated out of the International airport there.
We were at the 2nd in line at the hold short behind a"heavy". We had to ask the tower to relay to the heavy to be easy on the power since something like this could have happened.

We got buffeted pretty good, but no damage.

I've had to taxi behind a couple of Super Hornets in the T-34 while doing CORTRAMID. We usually would try and dodge them and go through a different line, but one time I had to go behind one in the pits. No way around it. I think the plane moved sideways at least 3 feet, almost instantly.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
There's an approach article out there where this almost happened to a T-34 in corpus when the winds started gusting over 75 knots. Cursory googling gives me nothing, but enterprising young folks can probably find it.

I remember getting partly airborne on a taxiway at Corpus in a weiner before the ODO and IP finally decided they had had enough of the gusty winds.

millsra13

'Merica
pilot
Contributor
apparently, the lineman decided he didn't need to follow my instructions to put a chalk on both main mounts.

Well there's your problem, you should have told him to put chocks on your tires; not chalk. Chocks are WAY more effective at keeping airplanes on the ground! ;) (fingers crossed...please don't ban me, please don't ban me)