• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

UMFO Program

navybackseater

None
lucky you :icon_tong

Well let me put it this way, the Maj asked if I wanted TX or Jax, I said Jax he said good. So who knows what would have happened if I would have said TX - :D I try not to think about THAT too much. But hey, whatever floats the boat.

D

DesertRat

The UMFO program was money, coming from primary you're so used to having to study and prep for flights constantly that the UMFO program isn't a tough transition. The hands on time you get with the gear in the UMFO brings you up to par with the guys from TX. Alot of them said they had been waiting so long to start Jax that they forgot the few new things they learned.

hornetframer

Rhino WSO
None
AMEN Fugly!!! Go Carrier!!! A lot more maneuverable and a wider variety of missions to fly. "Bundy" ---> VT-86 Grad Winging Class March 2007

hornetframer

Rhino WSO
None
My quote was for the NFO side since NFOs currently are not going helos (hence this post being on the Naval Flights Officer section). I will personally never put down a helo guy at all. You guys will pull my sorry a$$ out of the water if we screw up (read: being stupid) or the plane decides to quit on us. But each platform has their advantages and disadvantages. I am just kickin it for my platform.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
My quote was for the NFO side since NFOs currently are not going helos (hence this post being on the Naval Flights Officer section). I will personally never put down a helo guy at all. You guys will pull my sorry a$$ out of the water if we screw up (read: being stupid) or the plane decides to quit on us. But each platform has their advantages and disadvantages. I am just kickin it for my platform.
Ok, I'll buy that. My point had less to do with stiff wing vs helos, but rather your narrow experience in the aviation world. Once I left the RAG and operated with the club, I was amazed how much broader everyone's missions in the airwing were. It wasn't until my shore tour that I was exposed to the broad mission areas of our shore based maritime brethren, and believe me they do a lot of stuff. There's certainly nothing wrong with playing up your platform.

hornetframer

Rhino WSO
None
I personally reccomend to everyone, choose what you will enjoy. I loved working on F/A-18 Hornets and I love flying F/A-18 Super Hornets. I will boast for that community because that is what I Know best compared to other platforms.

HelluvaWreck

"Sure thing...when pigs fly..."
UMFO's...

Don't know what they missed by not going to San Antonio. That was like a 9-month vacation, flying around, doing the "Air Farce" thing. Showing up at Randolph fresh out of Pensacola, your experience was light-years ahead of the Air Force people you schooled with. Mighty damn cozy it was, and San Antonio was an awesome, awesome city. Not to mention that, for the Navy Instructors, it was a very posh job. There were some cool Air Force Instructors, but hands down, the Navy Instructors there were the sh*t. Far more chill than their Air Force counterparts.

But the problem with going to Randolph for Advanced was that some ended up getting "soft" while we were there. Won't quite forget one debriefing for a sim, where one student started crying over a botched-up weather deviation. The theatrics were quite...amazing, the Instructor was most unimpressed. If weather avoidance made that person cry, I'd hate to see how that person would react when some much more (interesting stuff) would happen during flights out on Deployment.

JBM

Gainfully Employeed
None
UMFO is now the only P-3 Syllabus. Class 0747 was the last Primary class to send people to San Ant.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
I personally reccomend to everyone, choose what you will enjoy. I loved working on F/A-18 Hornets and I love flying F/A-18 Super Hornets. I will boast for that community because that is what I Know best compared to other platforms.

Emphatically agree.

wingsB4rings

Four fans of freedom, all day long
None
Good news for anyone still openning this thread and wondering about TX vs. JAX out of primary. Going to Randolph AFB vice Jax is (according to the CO out at Randolph) is done. The last class mith navy guys to class up at Randolph classed up in March '08. Lucky for people down the road, because 6 months Randolph training puts you no further ahead of your UMFO peers when you get to VP-30 (if anything it puts you slightly behind them since they have had some exposure to P-3's and weren't poisoned for 6 months with the air force way of doing things). As a Randolph grad, I was seriously disappointed when I got to the rag to find out it took 6 months and an extra move to arrive at the same junction as those who stayed for half of intermediate and then 7 weeks in the umfo syllabus. In essence, the umfo program will cut down P-3 NFO flight school by at least 2 months, not to mention it will provide a slight edge over those who previously had come from Randolph.