• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ultimate Fitness Thread

GlassBanger

IntelO
Contributor
You all talking about Southern and Northern and I'm over here a Virginia native, transplanted in Arizona at blazing temps and at mile-high altitude and NO HUMIDITY. I went home for a visit a few weeks ago and I was DYING. I felt SO wet ALL THE TIME. I couldn't get dry for the life of me haha. I adapted quickly to Arizona. But running up at this altitude is truly kicking my ass. It has added like 4 minutes to my run time and i'm miserable. I am hoping it helps me condition for running back down at sea level, and that the humidity with sea winds blowing across Newport won't be too bad.

Spartans1991

You all talking about Southern and Northern and I'm over here a Virginia native, transplanted in Arizona at blazing temps and at mile-high altitude and NO HUMIDITY. I went home for a visit a few weeks ago and I was DYING. I felt SO wet ALL THE TIME. I couldn't get dry for the life of me haha. I adapted quickly to Arizona. But running up at this altitude is truly kicking my ass. It has added like 4 minutes to my run time and i'm miserable. I am hoping it helps me condition for running back down at sea level, and that the humidity with sea winds blowing across Newport won't be too bad.
Running at altitude will definitely help. I never realized the extra difficulties of altitude till I ran around Mt Fuji one time. Literally thought my heart was going to explode and my lungs were going to collapse and at the time I was a pretty solid runner. Coming back down from there and you'll be reading the newspaper during your PRT.

GlassBanger

IntelO
Contributor
Running at altitude will definitely help. I never realized the extra difficulties of altitude till I ran around Mt Fuji one time. Literally thought my heart was going to explode and my lungs were going to collapse and at the time I was a pretty solid runner. Coming back down from there and you'll be reading the newspaper during your PRT.
I am seriously cracking up envisioning some Warner Bros.-esque cartoonish person running whilst reading a paper. I WISH lol. But I'm still pushing. It sucks and I get this coppery taste at the back of my throat and get thirsty as all hell, but I keep doing it. Don't have a choice I guess lol.

Edit: doubly hard because my body is not made for cardio. Give me heavy lifting any day and I'll pump it out lol

Spartans1991

I am seriously cracking up envisioning some Warner Bros.-esque cartoonish person running whilst reading a paper. I WISH lol. But I'm still pushing. It sucks and I get this coppery taste at the back of my throat and get thirsty as all hell, but I keep doing it. Don't have a choice I guess lol
Haha no not really. You'll be better for it in the long run anyways. The more it sucks now the less it sucks later, right?

AULANI

Here's the deal with physical fitness at OCS since I see these types of threads and questions pop-up all the damn time and everyone nukes the crap out of it. The PFA/PRT is the EASIEST physical evolution at OCS. 2 minutes of sit-ups, 2 minutes of push-ups, then 10 min for your 1.5 mile run (if you are slow like me), for a total of like 15 min of exercise. Holy crap, easy day! You will have regular PT Monday-Friday that lasts a little over an hour and those sessions will be much harder than any PFA/PRT you will take. Getting RPT'd will be much harder than any PFA/PRT you will take. RLP and Fast Cruise will be much harder than any PFA/PRT you will take. Do you see the pattern here?

Everyone on these threads focuses on the PFA/PRT because they are rollable events but guess what? So is everything else at OCS! I've seen people get pulled from regular PT sessions and get ROLLED for not putting out.

The bottom line is, show up to OCS in the best damn physical shape you can get yourself in. Not just PFA/PRT shape. Put out at EVERY physical event you find yourself in, be it an RPT session, the PFA, or even just daily PT, otherwise you're probably gonna get rolled.

Meyerkord

pilot
Cool, appreciate the responses guys. Meyerkord, anything you think ought to be on the OCS packing list but isnt?
This is what I usually tell people to bring:

- Administrative paperwork (copies of orders, social security card, birth certificate, ALL travel receipts).
- A printed copy of Appendix B (general orders, code of conduct, etc.). Make sure it’s the newest one (April 2018) because things are different. Also, I'm not sure if they'll let you keep this or not. When I was there, they started getting real strict about making people write things down by hand, so we'll see.
- Toiletries to get you through the first few weeks.
- Tight fitting white t-shirts (at least 3, but probably more like 6. And they should be brand new if possible - you'll be using them for RLP).
- A week's worth of underwear. And bring like 2 pairs of white ones if you're graduating in dress whites.
- Stamps if you want to write letters.
- Phone and charger.
- A white towel (you get issued 2 of these, but you need them for RLP, and they suck anyways)
- A few pairs of long white socks. I think I brought like 5 pairs. Again, you'll get issued these, but basically everything is used for RLP.

There's probably more I'm forgetting but I'll try to remember.

Meyerkord

pilot
Are they sensitive to branding? I saw some of those awful shin high socks on sale but they had a black Nike logo. Wasnt sure if they wanted everything as plain as possible.
Probably. I don’t think anyone had logos on their socks so no comments were made, but if I had to guess, they’d probably make you wear plain ones.

abctotheabc

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone on here who gave me a shit ton of advice to heal from my injuries. Everything went away and I feel great. I worked the stationary bike instead of running, stopped skipping leg day, took ibuprofen, iced my knee, compression sleeve, etc. Just still feeling shitty cause I've improved everywhere else but I can't even hit Probationary on the PRT for running. I'm stuck at ~16:30.

Spartans1991

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone on here who gave me a shit ton of advice to heal from my injuries. Everything went away and I feel great. I worked the stationary bike instead of running, stopped skipping leg day, took ibuprofen, iced my knee, compression sleeve, etc. Just still feeling shitty cause I've improved everywhere else but I can't even hit Probationary on the PRT for running. I'm stuck at ~16:30.
What do you feel like the issue is? Getting too tired, leg strength, whatever else?

AULANI

Oh man, that's not good... I'm not 100% sure but I think the new policy is if you fail the run portion of the IST you are immediately kicked out. Maybe one of the OCS staff (who monitor this site BTW) will chime in. I'm not trying to scare you but I thought I remember hearing that when I was still at OCS a few months ago. The logic being that if you fail the other events in the IST you can probably improve slightly before the next PFA and bust out a few more sit ups/push ups (and pass) but it's much harder to shave minutes off your run. I hope your knee feels better so you can improve that run time.