• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ulcerative Colitis, DQ??

Bullitt01

Ladies and Gentleman,

I graduated from PLC-Jr.'s on July 8th of last year and I'm slated to leave on the 7th of July this year for Seniors. However, after a solid month of heavy bleeding every time I went to the bathroom and constant light-headedness/loss of energy, I had to go to the doctor. After my family doctor suggested the possibility of ulcerative colitis, I had a colonoscopy done and the G.I. confirmed that I have left sided ulcerative colitis... I have already contacted my OSO and sent them all of my medical/diagnosis paperwork. The civilian secretary (a retired Navy Corpsman) said he's going to have to send the documentation out and request that I be kept in the program. He can't tell me whether or not it is a total disqualifier the military in general or even a DQ for just flight. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this? Everything I can find on the internet says that it's a total DQ but that's all from at least a few years ago so maybe things have changed? I'm not going give up until I'm told there are NO other options...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There's another thread or two regarding UC on the site that are a few years old that you may have looked over. If not, I'd have a look through the search.

Your first and best bet is to look at the NAMI/NOMI Waiver guide (you can google it). You'll find (unless it's been changed) that UC is "CDQ for applicants" which is doctor speak for Considererd DQ. NAMI considers people applicants until they check into API and have their physical there.

After that, the Waiver Guide mentions that UC is waiverable, but that's for those that are already in the program or in the fleet, and even then, it's not guaranteed.

In short, it's not looking good for you, but it never hurts to keep asking until they say no.