• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Uh-1y

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
For those interested... The first two UH-1Y spots for soon-to-be newly winged HT studs were handed out this week. More than one broken-hearted Yankee wannabe in the HT spaces tonight. Interesting times for Marine aviation!

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
For those interested... The first two UH-1Y spots for soon-to-be newly winged HT studs were handed out this week. More than one broken-hearted Yankee wannabe in the HT spaces tonight. Interesting times for Marine aviation!

They're actually separating the Y out at HT selections, huh?

I suppose that would help. When I worked in stucon there and a Huey draft happened, the Marines who got Hueys looked as if they went to a bar, ordered a beer, and got handed a glass of warm urine.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
Newly winged aviators will never realize what a priviledge it is to have UH-1 experience in your logbook until you look back and say "I wish I'd flown the Huey more." The time is coming when you won't find an AD pilot who's flown a legacy UH-1. It's been my favorite aircraft to date.

Of course I've never flown a Cobra either...

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
Sir, You'd be surprised at the recent wish lists for winging students... The Huey spots seem to be amongst the most sought after and coveted spots these days, even prior to the introduction of the Y model. It may just appear this way on my end due to the relatively small number of spots available this year, but jealousy was rampant when a guy would select Hueys...

bobbybrock

None
I flew Hueay then 60's. It was really fun getting back in the Huey after 15 years. But we are talking old H modles with one engine. My guard unit still has a few and we are actuall finding it hard to fill the cockpits.
We just sent a former Marine Huey driver to the 60 course. Go figure . The Marine version is way more complex then what the Guard has but the guard still wouldn't let this guy fly it until he went through the qual course in PA.
I still like flying the old dog. It is a fun aircraft to fly.

gtxc2001

See what the monkey eats, then eat the monkey
pilot
Contributor
The Huey spots seem to be amongst the most sought after and coveted spots these days

That's true, it has been the trendy platform for the last 6 months or so, and the Yankee will probably only contribute to that trend. The latest numbers on the board at 303 indicate that there will be 6 yankee RACs this fiscal year.

The lure of a new platform is strong, I'm sure, but those Yankee guys are going to be at the FRS for a while. Why's that? They have to train a whole squadron's worth of pilots on the new airframe and get enough airframes delivered to the FRS and a line squadron. I'll bet money that those guys are going to be a little frustrated when they end up spending a year or more at Atlas.

Also, the bad rep that the Cobra side gets is pretty unfounded. My experience at the FRS was the best out of Primary/Advanced/FRS. Besides, the Cobra ECS is incredibly effective and blows cold (as in chunks of ice form) air into your seat. I'd like to see a Huey do that.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
Also, the bad rep that the Cobra side gets is pretty unfounded. My experience at the FRS was the best out of Primary/Advanced/FRS. Besides, the Cobra ECS is incredibly effective and blows cold (as in chunks of ice form) air into your seat. I'd like to see a Huey do that.

I think that this is definitely a big part of it. Guys often think that the Huey is the way to become a trigger puller without having to deal with the "assholes" reputation that seems to follow Cobra pilots. For the bulk of the time I spent at -18, there were no skid guys in the squadron to dispel these rumors. Most studs based their opinions on the clipboard-throwing screamer from Primary that almost invariably seemed to fly Cobras. I think I had shittier experiences with P-3 guys...

phrogpilot73

gxtc2001: It gets plenty cold flying with the doors open...
Not so much when you are flying in Iraq/Liberia/Djibouti/<insert shitty hot country here>. Our skid guys would remind us about how efficient their ECS was, but only after we were walking back into the ready room, wearing flight suits that had soaked through with sweat. Fuck you, assholes. :)

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
I think that this is definitely a big part of it. Guys often think that the Huey is the way to become a trigger puller without having to deal with the "assholes" reputation that seems to follow Cobra pilots. For the bulk of the time I spent at -18, there were no skid guys in the squadron to dispel these rumors. Most studs based their opinions on the clipboard-throwing screamer from Primary that almost invariably seemed to fly Cobras. I think I had shittier experiences with P-3 guys...

Don't know about other studs but when I was there I made a point to discuss the "reputation" with every Huey instructor i could find and with every Marine Instructor as well...the overwhelming response what that while not true for ALL cobra pilots the reputation stands for a larger percentage than is typically found in other platforms. Just relaying...and I have heard that reinforced since hitting the fleet.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
I thoroughly enjoyed my H-1 time more than my H-2 time (although certainly not Army Aviation over Naval Aviation). Also, the H-1 is an aviation "classic", like a P-51 or a B-17.

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
Also, the bad rep that the Cobra side gets is pretty unfounded.

I agree. So far (through 303 and several months in the fleet), I've seen nothing that supports those rumors you hear in flight school about skid pilots eating their young and whatnot. Granted, you need a thick skin around here, but that's true for the Marine Corps in general.