• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

UAV "Pilots"

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is such a program to transition from one community to another...

Link- http://www.npc.navy.mil/Officer/Aviation/Warfare+Transition.htm

Click on MILPERSMAN 1542-020 on that page.

No no, not a transition. I said the Air Force program of flying a different aircraft in your career is neat. Returning to your original aircraft would be what makes that neat. For example, flying a Prowler as your aircraft, and then doing a Hornet tour, then returning to the Prowler. It'd be neat. Not sure if it'd be practical, but neat.

DaRevrend

USAF T-34 Stud
The AF is also big on having a rated officer (read wings) be at the controls. With the larger UAVs and especially the UCAVs many issues arise that they want a winged pilot/nav to be responsible for.

Things like understanding the importance of proper comms and airspace deconfliction for UAVs are becoming paramount as near misses continue to scare the **** out of everyone down range. A pred taking out a friendly, especially a HD/LD asset, would certainly force the issue of controlling the wild wild west of everyone and their mom's UAVs out in the AORs, and the AF is trying to prevent this at least on our side of the house with the major systems. Listen to the tapes on some near misses, or talk to anyone that's almost been plunked, and you'll realize how serious an issue this was/is.

The employing of weapons in accordance with complex ROEs, miles of red tape and hours of waiting for approval from the CAOC is something that pointy nose guys are well versed in dealing with...well at least until they run out of gas. The AF wants it to be real, wants the accountability of those decisions to employ lethal weapons to still weigh on the qualified officer, even if they are enoying their favorite blend of starbucks in a comfy chair at Creech.

Like it or not, UAVs are going to be integrated into our culture (extreme shudder at the thought) and we need to be able to establish their professional employment in the future for how we fight wars, and more importantly make ourselves the best at it.

Personally, I call not it, but we'd be foolish to assume something that is/will be replacing many roles of the fighter/bomber/precision attack/surveillance pilots should be done by some kid without the same professional flying qualities/abilities that we demand out of each other. It might not be as cool as actually flying, but it's no friekin video game either.

Rev

Disclaimer: I'm not talking the Army toy UAVs they put around a city, though I'm sure helo bubbas wish they'd play smarter too, I'm talking about the major weapons systems coming/already online.

Rubiks06

pilot
Interestingly enough i ran into an enlisted Marine and he was training to be a UAV pilot. Pretty interesting they have NATOPS and PCL's. It was pretty cool talking to him. They have two types of pilots actually the guys that take off and land and the guys that fly the bird to the site and handle weapons. So....i was under the impression that a lot of the pilots are enlisted guys. They even have to get flight physicals...hence the reason i ran into him.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interestingly enough i ran into an enlisted Marine and he was training to be a UAV pilot. Pretty interesting they have NATOPS and PCL's. It was pretty cool talking to him. They have two types of pilots actually the guys that take off and land and the guys that fly the bird to the site and handle weapons. So....i was under the impression that a lot of the pilots are enlisted guys. They even have to get flight physicals...hence the reason i ran into him.

I don't think there are any small unit level UAVs that are armed at this point.

Brett