• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

U.S. Naval Vessel Collide in Straits of Hormuz

P3 F0

None
That's certainly how it seemed to be about 15 years ago, when I did my month aboard the Camden. And I'm guessing it was that way long before I got there. That article isn't talking about the specific state of today's SWO culture--it's talking about the general culture that has, over the decades, produced an atmosphere not conducive to success.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Not sure why everyone is so quick to condemn the SWOs...(even though I don't like them), when bubbleheads are just as responsible for navigational safety in a choke point as well, whether they're submerged or not.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Not sure why everyone is so quick to condemn the SWOs...(even though I don't like them), when bubbleheads are just as responsible for navigational safety in a choke point as well, whether they're submerged or not.

I think everyones beating on them because they've been the victims/perpetrators of several high vis incidents of late. My first reaction when I saw this this morning was uh oh...what SWO daddies head is gonna roll for this one?

SWO...the beatings will continue until morale improves!

BigRed389

None
Sonar? And if they were in comms, that's another way. Not putting the blame on either, just saying. There's a lot we don't know, but either way, yeah, the sub skipper is done.

Amphibs don't have sonar. And you'd also have to be active the whole time, not normal ops, and would probably piss Iran off.

Submerged subs don't have comms with surface ships that don't have underwater comms systems....

Not putting the blame on the sub specifically, but blaming an amphib watch team for not avoiding a collision with a SUBMERGED submarine on the midwatch is straight out crazy.

Personally, going by the depth of the SoH vs the height of a SSN vs the draft of typical tanker traffic, I'm interested to know how the bubbleheads do SoH transits if it's not an OPSEC issue.

swerdna

None
Contributor
I just think that since this happened about 48 hours ago, it's premature to blame watchstanders or the COs, especially in such a public format. I think that we don't know enough yet. It's not a sympathy issue; it's a respect issue. It would be equally unfair (and I think against site rules) to come on here and jest about a recent aviation incident. But that's just my opinion, I'm not going (or trying) to tell everyone what they can and cannot say.

On another note, I've been through the SoH 4 times, and we sat in them for several weeks in 2003. Probably the most stressful chokepoint I've sailed. Military ships, oil tankers, speedboats, Iranians querying...it's a mess. It's amazing there aren't more collisions.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
from what I hear from my bubbas that I'm currently serving with that have come from other communities....there are more than a few individuals that get their gold dolphins and waterwings without properly being able to do a mo-board. One guy I know is a SWO and did an exchange tour with the Brits or Canadians for a few months on a FFG. He said that he thought his seamanship among his fellow J.O. SWOs was above average. He said quite candidly that once he was on board the foreign boat he was quite humbled by his lack of seamanship skills. I believe there is a recent edition of Naval Institute Proceedings that addresses SWO training deficiencies. The submariner community on the other hand is sooo nuke engineering centric, (thanks to Rickover...goodbye Eugene Fluckey) that JO tactics and weaponeering knowledges have really suffered as well.

CAMike

None
Contributor
Villanelle- Karma can sometimes be quite unpleasant. As I think a short time back- there was a recent period of "unpleasant/unforeseen" incidents in MIL Aviation.

If this was a case of an excercise gone bad-so be it. If it was a case of mutually distracted bridges that's another thing. Whatever the reason- I think it serves as a heads up to SWO's and NUKEs to pay attention to the big picture as Priority#1. There is nothing worse than seeing a JOOD and OOD with their heads in the Radar Repeater hoods, QMOW looking at the chart and CIC blabbering over the Bitchbox about whatever- and no management looking into the horizon when other ships are around. Unlike some of our aviation counterparts- there are usually MANY SWO Eyes on a unit watching events unfold. That's why I liked the SWO life. Multiple people have your back if they're even 80% competent. In fact, I can just about assure you that at some point in your SWO career you will either lose the situational picture or be close to it in a bad way and be on the verge of a major FU and your fellow SWO counterparts will chime in and rock your world just prior to being in extremis. (extremis is the point of NOT being able to avoid a collision/grounding no matter what you do to avoid it). Yes- I've been near it on the receiving end as well as the transmitting end.

Just saying- SWO is very much a team sport and "things" that shouldn't be an issue, can almost always become an issue if you and your partners don't keep a vigilant eye on them until they are no longer a threat.

If you're on watch and you see something that doesn't look right- Speak Up! It's better to have everyone on the bridge tell you you're all wet rather than say nothing and then something truly bad happens. Rarely do vessels collide and all parties testify that "Hey I didn't see it coming".

Any JAGS disagree?

BigRed389

None
from what I hear from my bubbas that I'm currently serving with that have come from other communities....there are more than a few individuals that get their gold dolphins and waterwings without properly being able to do a mo-board. One guy I know is a SWO and did an exchange tour with the Brits or Canadians for a few months on a FFG. He said that he thought his seamanship among his fellow J.O. SWOs was above average. He said quite candidly that once he was on board the foreign boat he was quite humbled by his lack of seamanship skills. I believe there is a recent edition of Naval Institute Proceedings that addresses SWO training deficiencies. The submariner community on the other hand is sooo nuke engineering centric, (thanks to Rickover...goodbye Eugene Fluckey) that JO tactics and weaponeering knowledges have really suffered as well.

That's seems to be the consensus from those who've spent time with the Europeans...USNA guys who had NATO exchange instructors on the YPs say they were far better shiphandlers.

Having said that, it might be worth looking at WHY they're better shiphandlers.
One reason might be that they break down by specialties. Early on, the SWO/sub guys figure out if they're going to be Engineers, Combat Systems types, or Tactical/Shiphandling types. Only the last bunch are on a CO pipeline.

Whereas in our Navy, there was a point when we took non Engineering Officer of the Watch (EOOW) qualified LTs and made them Chief Engineers (CHENG) on CRUDES ships.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Post Collision image

web_090320-N-9999X-935.jpg

090320-N-9999X-935 PERSIAN GULF (March 20, 2009) The Los Angeles-class attack submarine USS Hartford (SSN 768) is underway Friday, March 20, 2009 in the Persian Gulf after a collision with the amphibious transport dock ship USS New Orleans (LPD 18). Hartford sustained damage to her sail, but the propulsion plant of the nuclear-powered submarine was unaffected by this collision. (U.S. Navy photo)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
web_090320-N-XXXXX-001.jpg

090320-N-XXXXX-001 PERSIAN GULF (March 20, 2009) The Los Angeles-class attack submarine USS Hartford (SSN 768) is underway in the Persian Gulf after a collision with the amphibious transport dock ship USS New Orleans (LPD 18). Hartford sustained damage to her sail, but the propulsion plant of the nuclear-powered submarine was unaffected by this collision. (U.S. Navy photo/Released)

Machine

Super *********
pilot
None
Site Admin
NEWS FLASH: The USS Hartford is a submarine! We will not discuss its capabilities nor how it may or may not operate in certain theaters that may be politically sensitive. Any more posts that go there will shut this thread down.

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
The Navy has released official photos of the Hartford coming into port.

web_090321-N-9909C-848.jpg

090321-N-9909C-848 BAHRAIN (March 21, 2009) The Los Angeles-class attack submarine USS Hartford (SSN 768) pulls into Mina Salman pier in Bahrain where U.S. Navy engineers and inspection teams will asses and evaluate damage that resulted from a collision with the amphibious transport dock ship USS New Orleans (LPD 18) in the Strait of Hormuz March 20. Overall damage to both ships is being evaluated. The incident remains under investigation. Hartford is deployed to the U.S. 5th fleet area of responsibility to support maritime security operations. (U.S. Navy photo by Cmdr. Jane Campbell/Released)