• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

U.S. Loses Contact With Two Jets in Iraq

Status
Not open for further replies.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
Holy sh!t, that's the most coherent post you've written (that I've read). Have you been drinking?

No, not drinking, but I have been immersing myself in a tub of Tequila and fresh lime juice --- someone told me it was good for the skin .....

Mayday

I thought that was the recline!
Steve Wilkins said:
Please elaborate.

I just always assumed you were the ultimate mod and could UN-lock posts even. Then come to find you're the first one to throw the ole thread-lock gripe out there... :confused: :icon_tong

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
My brother-in-law is a pilot with VMFA-323... the "death rattlers" ... he is deployed right now and it is possible that he was one of the crews that went down. PLEASE, if you have ANY, and I do mean ANY information about this situation contact me via e-mail or instant messenger... I have alot of family members that are just plain worried sick here.... Thanks.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mayday said:
I just always assumed you were the ultimate mod and could UN-lock posts even. Then come to find you're the first one to throw the ole thread-lock gripe out there... :confused: :icon_tong
Well, the girls think I'm pretty good looking, but we can save that for another thread.

Yes, of course I can unlock threads as well as lock em. But the success of this website absolutely requires the help of the other moderators....this is without question. For that reason, I don't make it a habit of undermining other moderators decisions regarding disposition of threads. Believe me, sometimes it pisses me off beyond belief that a thread gets locked for reasons that I myself would not lock it for. This website has become far, far bigger than what I ever imagined and the success of Air Warriors has been directly proportional to the committment that others have given to it. In effect, it has become EVERYONE's website. I have on occasion, unlocked threads that were previously locked. Mostly what I do though, is simply edit the offender's post to rid of what should never have been posted in the first place. This of course assumes I find it. Hundreds of posts are made here daily, sometimes hourly. I cannot monitor them all, nor can John....nor do we want to.

All I was doing was just thowing out an observation that I've made.

nugget81

pilot
BoxerCLC said:
Back to the orignal topic.
I hope the pilots were able to eject safely.
Seriously.

My thoughts and prayers go out to them and their families...

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Like I said.....names are different. You want to post the names of mishap victims here....then this is the wrong forum for you and I will PERSONALLY make sure you never get access here again! Otherwise, speculation is just that....mere speculation.

Skidtz

Puddle Pirate
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/05/03/iraq.main/index.html

One Marine pilot's body found
Other flier still missing after fighter jets collide

Tuesday, May 3, 2005 Posted: 4:33 AM EDT (0833 GMT)

(CNN) -- The U.S. military early Tuesday found the body of a pilot from one of two missing Marine Corps F/A-18 jets that collided while flying in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

"The status of the second crew member is unknown at this time and search efforts continue," the military statement said.

The crew of the aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson lost contact with the planes about 10:10 p.m. Monday (2:10 p.m. ET), the military said earlier. According to the statement, there was no indication of hostile fire in the area at the time.

Navy officials told CNN they believe the jets collided with each other in bad weather during the routine mission.

Late last year, Marine Corps officials said a sharp increase in deadly accidents involving Marine aircraft had forced a close look at possible causes. (Full story)

From October 2003 through September 2004, the Marines sustained 18 major accidents, including the deaths of 15 aviators and the loss of 21 helicopters and fighter planes.

The accidents included the collision of two Hornet fighters over the Atlantic Ocean and another collision of two Hornets over Oregon that killed the two pilots.

In September, a Marine pilot was rescued after ejecting from his F/A-18 jet just before it crashed during a training exercise in the Australian Outback. (Full story)

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
invertedflyer said:
My brother-in-law is a pilot with VMFA-323... the "death rattlers" ... he is deployed right now and it is possible that he was one of the crews that went down. PLEASE, if you have ANY, and I do mean ANY information about this situation contact me via e-mail or instant messenger... I have alot of family members that are just plain worried sick here.... Thanks.

Not just no, but hell no.

Even if I knew, I would not contact you. The USMC or USN (there are two Navy C squadrons on the same boat as 323) will contact the family members.
I have been involved in two mishaps and that is how I would wannt my family contacted. NOT via some bubba off a message board.

I understand your concern but there is a reason these threads get locked.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
I'm not asking for names to be posted here folks... I'm sorry if you received that impression... even if you did I asked to be contacted privately, not on this board. But to know that I wouldn't be contacted privately even if the information was available just makes me feel nice and warm and fuzzy towards my fellow servicemen...thanks Steve....I guess I would view you as an officer, not "some bubba" but its all good.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
This is terrible news. I hope they are able to rescue the second pilot. Also, Inverted Flyer, I think they were mostly getting at "leave it to the professionals" for informing of such news. I hope your brother wasnt one of the involved, but none the less a family somewhere is grieving for the loss of the aviator recovered already, and they have my sympathy.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
invertedflyer said:
I'm not asking for names to be posted here folks... I'm sorry if you received that impression... even if you did I asked to be contacted privately, not on this board. But to know that I wouldn't be contacted privately even if the information was available just makes me feel nice and warm and fuzzy towards my fellow servicemen...thanks Steve....I guess I would view you as an officer, not "some bubba" but its all good.

Unfortunately ,that's the way it works. Only PNOK from the Page 2 are notified first via a NAVY CACO then, SNOK. If you are on your relatives Page 2, you will find out via that route. When that is complete, a press release will release the names officially. Or a notified relative/relation may call you.

PNOK-primary next of kin
SNOK- secondary next of kin
CACO-casualty assistance calls officer (assists family with arrangements, etc)

My thoughts and prayers are with the families, the pilots...and the squadron.

r/
G

Status
Not open for further replies.