• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

U.S. Loses Contact With Two Jets in Iraq

Status
Not open for further replies.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Thanks for the kind words... This is gonna hit home for me because the "snakes" are my brother's squadron and its basically just a big family. I understand the notification policy... thanks for the official word on that... I was looking for info more along the lines of "single seaters" or "two-seaters" ... or which squadrons are where... etc. Most of which has been provided and I appreciate the support. Thanks again.

T-man

Skidtz said:
Late last year, Marine Corps officials said a sharp increase in deadly accidents involving Marine aircraft had forced a close look at possible causes. (Full story)

From October 2003 through September 2004, the Marines sustained 18 major accidents, including the deaths of 15 aviators and the loss of 21 helicopters and fighter planes.

The accidents included the collision of two Hornet fighters over the Atlantic Ocean and another collision of two Hornets over Oregon that killed the two pilots.

In September, a Marine pilot was rescued after ejecting from his F/A-18 jet just before it crashed during a training exercise in the Australian Outback. (Full story)

Could this be part of why Marines seem to be recruiting aviation so heavily right now?

My thoughts and prayers for those missing, and their families.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Side notes:
The mood around the wardroom seems to be pretty high with all things considered. I know the Marines are feeling the loss. Not trying to speculate here, but the weather in the region has been pretty crappy with a lot of blowing sand (go figure) which also means there's a lot of wind up there.
Most of the word we hear on the boat comes from places like CNN and Fox News. The ship went river city pretty quickly and all of the intel bubbas are keeping their traps shut (true professionals there). There were witnesses to the event, and so I'm sure the investigation/review won't take too terribly long. Nonetheless, it's additional proof that this job is a risky business.

Trojan

It's too bad for all involved that these types of mishaps occur. My prayers and thoughts go out to the families of the pilots. Quite a few years ago, I had met the pilot that was found still strapped to his seat.

Unfortunately, according to the news, it looks like the second pilot did not make it either. Will have to say a prayer and drink a beer in remembrance of the two Marines. Semper Fi.

As kmac said, it is a risky business that these guys are in.

invertedflyer

The Squadron XO was one of my Brother-in-law's closest friends in the squadron and his loss will be felt by all. The name of the second pilot still hasn't been released, thanks for all of your support.

bobbybrock

None
I was out flying that night. The wx was nasty. It can bite you in the ass quick here. We recovered asap. I hate to specualte whenever there is a mishap. But it is a very unforgiven enviorment here that has contributed to many of our mishaps.
My heart goes out to the families and friends of these fine men.

invertedflyer

My brother-in-law is ok ... but Capt. Hinz and the XO will be missed... my prayers go out to their families...

Status
Not open for further replies.