• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

U-2 Retirement

Llarry

I seem to remember HuggyU2 mentioning this previously and I chalked it up to the perennial buzz about retiring the U-2. Yeah, right...

A few days ago, the 9th RW at Beale AFB retired one of the four TU-2S trainers. I assume because the aircraft is sundowning and the training of new U-2 pilots will cease.

As a retired cryptologic officer (and an aviation enthusiast) I have to believe that this is a really stupid move. I suspect the users of the intelligence product produced by the U-2 program are vociferously opposed to this move. Now as somebody who had not been behind the green door for many years, it may be that there are systems that will adequately replicate the capabilities of the U-2; I am skeptical.

I've got a feeling we've been here before -- many years ago the SR-71 was retired essentially without direct replacement. In that case, the program was extremely expensive with all the tanker support, etc. In the case of the U-2S, I suspect it is a program that offers a lot of bang for the buck. Say it ain't so!

U-2S Senior Glass.jpg

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I seem to remember HuggyU2 mentioning this previously and I chalked it up to the perennial buzz about retiring the U-2. Yeah, right...

A few days ago, the 9th RW at Beale AFB retired one of the four TU-2S trainers. I assume because the aircraft is sundowning and the training of new U-2 pilots will cease.

As a retired cryptologic officer (and an aviation enthusiast) I have to believe that this is a really stupid move. I suspect the users of the intelligence product produced by the U-2 program are vociferously opposed to this move. Now as somebody who had not been behind the green door for many years, it may be that there are systems that will adequately replicate the capabilities of the U-2; I am skeptical.

I've got a feeling we've been here before -- many years ago the SR-71 was retired essentially without direct replacement. In that case, the program was extremely expensive with all the tanker support, etc. In the case of the U-2S, I suspect it is a program that offers a lot of bang for the buck. Say it ain't so!

View attachment 39743

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

There are probably less of those than you think. Given the almost certain overwhelming intelligence focus on areas that are not covered by the U-2 their products and unique capabilities are less valuable than they once were.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
There are probably less of those than you think. Given the almost certain overwhelming intelligence focus on areas that are not covered by the U-2 their products and unique capabilities are less valuable than they once were.
You would be surprised.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You would be surprised.

Maybe not. There is a staggering amount of intel collection out there and the U-2 fills a tiny little niche. For some of its customers it may be a case of hanging on to what they know and not what they necessarily need. Similar to someone requesting an A-10 when what they need is CAS ("But, but...A-10 go Brrrrrrrrttt!"). For the return on the investment, the juice probably just ain't worth the squeeze anymore

So as sad as I am to see the U-2 go away an an aviation enthusiast the rational part of me knows it is the right decision, just like the SR-71 decades ago.

Llarry

Maybe not. There is a staggering amount of intel collection out there and the U-2 fills a tiny little niche. For some of its customers it may be a case of hanging on to what they know and not what they necessarily need. Similar to someone requesting an A-10 when what they need is CAS ("But, but...A-10 go Brrrrrrrrttt!"). For the return on the investment, the juice probably just ain't worth the squeeze anymore

So as sad as I am to see the U-2 go away an an aviation enthusiast the rational part of me knows it is the right decision, just like the SR-71 decades ago.
This may be quite true. As a sometime producer of intel, I recognize that we may think our output is golden whereas most/many consumers of intel just yawn and say "whatever..."

HuggyU2

None
BWAA! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

(Tell me you're Frank Kendall without telling me you're Frank Kendall).

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

If you are able, go look it up on the various networks. Reality is not like how you describe.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
They’d better slow it down…the Russians have revived their “Dragonovich Czarina” (M-55) so we’ll need to keep some of our 1950/60 tech just in case.

The article notes “considering” but the Ukrainians said they recently saw one airborne.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They’d better slow it down…the Russians have revived their “Dragonovich Czarina” (M-55) so we’ll need to keep some of our 1950/60 tech just in case.

The article notes “considering” but the Ukrainians said they recently saw one airborne.

Not really sure we should be taking our cues from the Russkies on air tactics.

If you are able, go look it up on the various networks. Reality is not like how you describe.

Can't really argue this out in any real fashion here but from my 'big picture' view, the loss of this capability is quite small. And given today's threat environment, the cost for the unique capability likely ain't worth it.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
A recent pic out of Beal of the TU-2S. Pretty cool bare metal configuration.

428298977_782221510598770_4276673240783519724_n.jpg

No pressure suits!

426538004_782221013932153_9016240441766434638_n.jpg

HuggyU2

None
That was the first flight of that jet in 3 years. It was repaired after a landing mishap. The photo is of the first maintenance flight.

We want to keep it silver... but MX pushed back for corrosion reasons. Apparently it will get painted.