• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

U-2 Carrier Landing Info

HuggyU2

None
Most of you are familiar with the U-2 doing the carrier landing workups in support of watching the French do a nuke test in the Pacific about 50+ years ago.

I decided to go through my old U-2 Flight Manual from 1990 and scan all of the pages that had any reference to the carrier landing procedures or the arresting system. It's about a 12 MB file so I can't attach it here. It was 14 actual pages that had some reference, to include minor stuff like where on the circuit breaker the Arresting Hook Switch breaker was.

If any of you would like it, send me your email and I'll send it to you. It is certainly a tiny and unique segment of Naval Carrier Aviation.

I've attached one of the pages that I think you'll like. BTW, if you don't like the way the procedures they flew, don't blame the U-2 pilots! They had Navy guys teach us this crazy shit!

Attachments

• U-2 Carrier 9.pdf
    5.9 MB · Views: 78

HuggyU2

None
Update: I'll keep adding pages to my AW post until it says I can't attach any more. That will keep everyone from having to email me if they don't want all 14 pages.

Looks like I was able to get 9 of the 14 pages on the post. But if you want all of them, just pm me.

I put the Emergency Landing Gear Handle page there because if you read, you'll see it was used as the alternate way to drop the hook. Even today, you can pull the handle, turn it 90, and pull another inch or so. None of the new guys know why.

Last edited:

jmcquate

Contributor
Cool, thanks Huggy. 2 questions come to mind. Were they using long field gear, or did they have a more robust system? Also, who was waving them?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Most of you are familiar with the U-2 doing the carrier landing workups in support of watching the French do a nuke test in the Pacific about 50+ years ago.

I decided to go through my old U-2 Flight Manual from 1990 and scan all of the pages that had any reference to the carrier landing procedures or the arresting system. It's about a 12 MB file so I can't attach it here. It was 14 actual pages that had some reference, to include minor stuff like where on the circuit breaker the Arresting Hook Switch breaker was.

If any of you would like it, send me your email and I'll send it to you. It is certainly a tiny and unique segment of Naval Carrier Aviation.

I've attached one of the pages that I think you'll like. BTW, if you don't like the way the procedures they flew, don't blame the U-2 pilots! They had Navy guys teach us this crazy shit!
What, no charge? How enlightened you’ve become. ?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Look at those squared away motherfuckers standing bridge watch in their SDBs. ?
They're probably cursing the camera crews for coming up there instead of just using some random recruiting footage.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Were the pilots CIA civilians or USAF, or both?
A little searching around finds that the guy flying in this film was Bob Schumacher, Lockheed’s test pilot. After the test passed CIA pilots were trained at Pensacola and Monterey.

HuggyU2

None
What, no charge? How enlightened you’ve become. ?
Haha! Good memory! I did end up getting about $300 for that F-4J NATOPS manual on another site.
Back story on that: when I did that, I actually thought that "Hot Deals" was where people posted stuff to trade or sell here. I obviously didn't look very closely. Not to worry, I won't sell manuals here any more unless AW opens up a Market section.

But what I have scanned is 14 pages... hardly the entire thing.

However, you're free to bid on my excellent condition original 1963 TF-9J Cougar Flight Manual, if you're so inclined.
I also might put up my very old Sabreliner NATOPS manual in the near future.

Attachments

• IMG_5191.JPG
    IMG_5191.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
Last edited: