• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Types of Marine Aircraft that needs an NFO....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DELL205

Hello out there, Does anyone know what other Marine aircraft besides E-6B Prowler where an NFO is needed on board?
Thanks.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The Corps isn't getting the Super Hornet (E/F). We're "necking down" to one type of strike a/c--the JSF. Someday, anyway. There have been some rumblings about us getting a electronic warfare variant of the Super Hornet--the "Growler." I really hope they change that name, though! What'll they call the follow-on version, the "Cleveland Steamer?"

Phrogs phorever

stevew

I thought the Navy was getting the E's and the MArines were getting the F's.... guess my gouge was wrong

jrklr

yeah, no super hornets for the marines. does any one know whats going to happen when the marines go all JSF's? there's no back seat in those planes, so I guess NFO's may be virtually eliminated in the marines right? (except for that 20 in the prowlers/growlers).

Pat1USMC

Enroute to VMAQ-1
They've been saying that the NFO will be eliminated for years. I doubt it. With the complexity of the weapons systems, i'll think we'll have NFOs for a while. Of course, i hope they do. An opinion down here in Pensacola is that they'll make a two seater JSF for the EWO mission. Marines only. I like that opinion...

DELL205

Thank you all for your responses. It appeares that we are in agreement that the Prowler is one marine aircraft that requires NFOs/EWOs.

So I assume that their numbers in the Corps are pretty small compared to the Navy, right?

I am trying to decide between the Corps or Navy, to look into becoming an NFO/EWO. Unfortunately, my vision isn't perfect to become a pilot, which of course would open up to any aircraft to fly.
I look forward in any additional input from anyone.
Thanks.

akamifeldman

Interplanetary Ambassador
Hey, don't rule out being a pilot! Even if your vision isn't that hot, you can still get the PRK surgery, and, assuming you get the waiver, get the front seat!

The Three D's of Aviation: Never do anything Dumb, Dangerous, or Different!

Curmudgeon

EA6-B has crew of 1 NA, 3 NFO
F18-D has crew of 1 NA, 1 NFO

By the numbers, Marine NFOs split pretty evenly between the two (20 EA6-B, 75 F18-D).

Haven't seen Navy numbers; you would have F14s (fading away?), P3s (how many NFO per plane?), EA6-B (navy is retiring them?), E2s, S3 (retiring, not sure if helo replacement will have NFOs). Not sure if Navy will use F18-F (2-seat) operationally or just for training; don't think they do much with F18-D.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
It'll be awhile before the EA6B is retired in the Navy or Marines.

No helo has or will have NFOs--just 2 pilots.

Phrogs phorever

DELL205

Originally posted by akamifeldman
Hey, don't rule out being a pilot! Even if your vision isn't that hot, you can still get the PRK surgery, and, assuming you get the waiver, get the front seat!

The Three D's of Aviation: Never do anything Dumb, Dangerous, or Different!
So, The Navy or the Corps offers Laisik eye surgery to those who want to be a pilot?

Status
Not open for further replies.