• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Type 1 and 2 Dental Examination

poobear24

Hello everyone! I have a few weeks before I leave for OCS! I'm going SNFO and qualify physically (so far). Unfortunately, I believe I may have a cavity or two forming. I'm not in any pain and I only noticed it in the mirror brushing my teeth. I searched the forum and found a few threads, but most people seem to say it wouldn't be a problem. But, since I'm a worrier and like to see everything in writing, I checked out the NAMI site for more info on the dental standards. There was nothing specific about cavities. The only disqualifier that I came across that could be related to a cavity was written something to the extent of 'anything that would be affected by barometric differences in flight'. Also, the guide references that SNAs and SNFOs are required to pass a Type 1 or Type 2 Dental examination as part of their flight physical. I googled the terms, but no success. Can anyone shed some light on these examinations and, more specifically, explain how a cavity would affect my flying status and/or OCS status. I would like to get them checked out and fixed before I leave, but money is tight at the moment and would rather let BIG NAVY pay for it if possible. Also, would I get rolled if I were to get it fixed during OCS or would I just miss out a couple hour's worth of beatings? ;)

Thanks for your input!

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
I've actually never had a cavity, but I know people around here get them all the time. It shouldn't be a big deal or a downer for OCS/Flying unless your dentist really botched up the procedure and left an air pocket in there that would cause pain. This is all just speculation on my part, though, someone smarter and better-looking will probably respond to you shortly.

As far as OCS is concerned, I bunch of my buddies had their wisdom teeth pulled at OCS. They just got a few days off (SIQ) with some sweet pain meds. Our DI wasn't the happiest. :)

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
You will be ok. IF they fill a few cavities in OCS it will be no big deal. If they fill them in flight school, the grounding period is...I think...72 hours.

Type 2 exam is the norm for a first timer...xrays, mouth mirror, soft tissue exam, etc.
Type 1 exam is normally used if they find something unusual and is for complex diagnosis.

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
Don't worry about it at all unless you've got some seriously jacked up oral problems. If it's fixable through a dental procedure, you're fine.