• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Two Year scholarship compared with Four year??

xcrunner09

I was told that even though I plan applying for a 2 year scholarship that I need to still take the ACT before I start college in the fall because I will be compared with highschoolers applying for the 4 year scholarship. This makes absolutely ZERO sense to me! I was planning on taking it once I was in college when I was getting my packet together.

Is this true???

Ricky Bobby

I've never heard that before, but how did you get into college without either taking the SAT or ACT? I would think if you've taken one you wouldn't have to take the other, but I'm not "in the know". I'd ask the recruiter at the ROTC unit for more details, they are typically pretty helpful.

Pistol719

Will Over Skill
pilot
Contributor
Was kinda wondering the same thing about the SAT's and ACT's.

But to answer your question as much as I can, ultimately, yes you need to take one of those tests.. Last time I took both was 2003 and I even needed to dig them up for apping this year. Just to give you an idea...

My next question is if you are just starting college why don't you go for the 4 year scholarship? From what I understand it is alot easier to possibly obtain then the 2 year?

xcrunner09

reason why, parents. They want me to stay here at the jr college for two years and that how I can get in without it. They just have you take a College Placement Test so I wouldnt have to take the ACT at all if it wasnt for me wanting to do ROTC. I DO plan on taking it but just once I started college since theres no point in doing it now if i dont have to.

Pistol719

Will Over Skill
pilot
Contributor
Fair enough..

Personally I would just shell out the 50 bucks and take it for shits and giggles... Worst comes to worst you take it again in a few years.. No big deal, and consider it maybe practice for when you take it again in 2 years .. Just a suggestion :D

Ricky Bobby

Gotcha. Well like I said before, I would get in touch with the ROTC unit but either way you are going to have to take the test eventually to pick up a scholarship so why wait? I know a lot of people that f'ed up their first year in college and that just sounds like one more thing to have to worry about studying for. Just my opinion.

torpedo0126

its probably because most of the people who apply for the 2 year plan don't think about doing it midway through college. they've already taken the test and provide their score. this gives a good baseline since they will all have taken the test at the same time. you probably will score much higher on the test in college because your skills will have improved.

also, if you live somwhat CLOSE to a school with an NROTC program, go there and see if you can establish a cross-town enrollment with your junior college. it is not difficult, I have seen it done several times. participating in that will GREATLY increase your chances of picking up an OD scholarship, and if need be a 2 year scholarship.

you should never plan on getting a 2 year scholarship. they are much rarer and more competitive than the others.

I recommended to you on a different thread to download and review the ROD. Look up the table of contents and check out the various scholarship options. It will give you a good idea of the various entitlements that come with scholarships.

xcrunner09

I dont have a NROTC unti close. I live in Pensacola so UWF is the close university and that Army ROTC. I plan on transferring to FSU in Tallahassee. And if the scholarship doesnt work I will probably just start in the unit and try to pick one up.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
you mean to tell me that if you told your parents that you got a full ride scholarship for 4 years, they would make you stay at the community college?

:eek:

apply for both, what's the worst that could happen, and believe me, it's better to take the ACT while highschool is still fresh in your mind.

xcrunner09

yeah. my dad would probably be fine with it since he was a Marine officer but mom..not so much.

And yeah that's what I though. Of all the cities in the U.S. you would think a university in Pensacola, a town full of navy history would have NROTC.

torpedo0126

i imagine it has to do a lot with funding. i dont remember exactly how the relationship works, but a school provides funds to an NROTC unit (at least that's how it was at my school).

JTB7

yeah. my dad would probably be fine with it since he was a Marine officer but mom..not so much.

Do what YOU want to do. Not what your parents want you to do. There have been many times my parents have talked to me to be a civilian and they will pay for college, etc. I just want to become an officer in the USMC and I see a scholarship as an added bonus.