• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Two oil tankers hit in Gulf of Oman

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor

kejo

pilot
They could have splashed any number of manned aircraft but chose a drone. A big, expensive one, but I don't see much coming out of this. If this was an autonomous action by the IRGC, maybe our next move should be "hey Iran, if you want us to play ball with you, reign in these jabrones." Not likely.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They could have splashed any number of manned aircraft but chose a drone. ...
Really? You guys make a habit of flying in the engagement zone of a hostile weapon with an adversary such as Iran in times like these?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Every time we do a Strait transit, yeah, pretty much. Times are hell, man.
Duh, of course. My bad. I wasn't ever on a small boy in the straits and in my day the CV didn't venture that far north, nor did we fly up in the strait. Even during the reflagging in the Tanker Wars, we kept a distance. I suppose the LAMPs bubbas were hanging it out. Eventually, Preying Mantis, so yeah, as far as I recall, TACAIR almost never got lit up.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Really? You guys make a habit of flying in the engagement zone of a hostile weapon with an adversary such as Iran in times like these?
There are SA-5 and (in theory) SA-20 MEZ covering most of the AG. You don’t have much choice if you want to do flight ops there.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
During the tanker wars in 1988, we flew P-3s within Iran MEZ every flight. Didn’t have a choice.

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

They could have splashed any number of manned aircraft but chose a drone. A big, expensive one, but I don't see much coming out of this. If this was an autonomous action by the IRGC, maybe our next move should be "hey Iran, if you want us to play ball with you, reign in these jabrones." Not likely.

Question about radar and identification: how would the Iranians know what kind of aircraft they were about to fire at assuming they hadn't visually identified and confirmed it was a Global Hawk (or other unmanned aircraft)?

Edit: Thanks for the replies. I figured they did their homework to ensure they weren't firing at a manned aircraft (not that it absolves them from the hostile act of downing one of our aircraft in any way).

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Probably a lot of the same ways we do... for a better answer than that you'd have to ask them.

(But seriously, you'll have work your way up until you're in a position to have the access to read up on what we know about it- anybody who knows isn't going to talk about it on here. ;) )