• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Two Days until my Retake

Cloak

Been studying my butt off for 41 days now. I have everthing but the Math/Arithmetic Skills portion down to a science. I have been taking timed practice tests and usually am averaging anywhere from 3-10 minutes left on each test with roughly 80-90% of the questions right. Aviation/Nautical Information and the "Practice" Spatial Apperception I have been acing on the random practice tests I have found.

Although I am a little concerned about the Math/Arithmetic Skills portion of the test on Thursday I am certain my scores will be much higher.

My problem I seem to keep coming across is when I finally feel I am ready to take a test, I begin with the Math Skills portion and just tend to blank out. Although I remember I took form 3 and the majority of the practice tests I have studied have gone over nearly every type of problem in one form or another I still feel under prepared for this portion.

I decided to go ahead and retake and not reschedule since I have been doing substantially better on the other portions. Although I know the Math Skills weighs heavily on your final scores I figure as long as I can score 6-8 on each portion and a 60+ OAR I will be good to go.

Anyone know any last minute math guides other than the test guides and math.com? Took tomorrow off of work to have one more grind session on Math before I take it Thursday at 0900.

Thanks again!

Jason

Scruff

None
Contributor
how'd you do the first time around? And how much did you prepare for it then?

Cloak

I didn't study the first time around. I scored 4/5/4:46. Going for Pilot/NFO/Intel so I am retaking it tomorrow morning. Been studying all day and I feel a lot more confident about it now. So we shall see how I do. Going to be praying for 7/7/7 60+ if I can.

If that's the case I can finally relax. Tired of having my nose in a book at every free moment I have outside of work and hanging with the fiance.

Jason

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I didn't study the first time around. I scored 4/5/4:46. Going for Pilot/NFO/Intel so I am retaking it tomorrow morning. Been studying all day and I feel a lot more confident about it now. So we shall see how I do. Going to be praying for 7/7/7 60+ if I can.

If that's the case I can finally relax. Tired of having my nose in a book at every free moment I have outside of work and hanging with the fiance.

Jason

Good luck with the retake and deciding to take it seriously.

Quick question(s) though. Why did you not study the first time? Weren't you wanting this to be your career? Would you go into an exam in college that was this important without cracking the books to be prepared?

Cloak

I didn't study the first time because I wasn't sure what to expect and I was not aware that there were study guides out for the ASTB. It was more of a spur of the moment decision.

I just got back. Scored 5/6/6:47. Form 4. I am sending it in for August Boards pending they Validate my Background Information on time. Going for Pilot/NFO/Supply.

Praying I get in for one of them. Also will have roughly 4-6 more LOR by the end of next week as well to help.

Jason

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
If you really, really want it...you can make it.

This hot shit 2nd class petty officer busted ass to gain entrance into the NavCad program...then flunked the first two math tests in Pre-Flight academics :eek:...studied half the night after taps in the Cadet head...guys peein' on both sides of me while I sat on the deck, between urinals, studying math books!! The guys also took a few moments to help me out.

It was difficult for me to get back into the student "thing"...regain proper study habits, etc. But end result...passed the final math exam!!

After that "wake-up" call, never had another problem...never blew another exam, never got a "down" on a flight.

Needless to say, I felt my career as USN Aviator was well worth the effort!!:)

Cloak

I guess you could say that was a "Shlong" night for you, huh? :D

Haha. That's hilarious. Good news. This should help me out.

Just got into contact with the Mayor of my city and he also just gave me the email to a congressman in Michigan I can use. Also, four of my History Prof's I studied under are going to write some LoR's for me as well as a possible 0-6 in the Coast Guard pending my sister and law can actually get ahold of him. (Her brother). So in all...I should have roughly 10-12 LoR's.

Ken...anyone really. Think thats overboard? My recruiter said the more "prestigious, high class LoR's they receive of people vouching for you, the better the 'whole picture' will look to them."

Jason