• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Turning Down PLC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhatFarmer35

Hello:

I am a cadet in Civil Air Patrol, and another person in my squadron who is going to college next year was telling me about PLC. He was says he plans on apply for an SNA slot threw PLC and go threw Marine OCS during the summer and then during his senior year apply for a pilot slot with AF OTS, and if selected then he would turn down the USMC.

He said even if you go threw Marine OCS during college you don't have to go into the Marine Corps until you graduate and are comissioned. He said he would rather fly for the Air Force, but it is harder to get a pilot slot threw AF OTS so he wanted PLC as a fallback. I thought that kind of a stupid idea. I just wanted to know if that is true about not being obligated to go into the USMC until you graduate and are comissioned even if you already did OCS during college?

Also, if you were already doing PLC and did Marine OCS would you even be able to apply for Air Force OTS? If so, wouldn't the selection boards look down upon doing PLC and then applying for OTS?

I by no means plan on doing this during college, I was just wondering about it because it sounded a little bit stupid.

Arc Angel

2nd Lt at TBS
Its true, he doesn't have to accept his commission when he graduates college. If all he wants to do is fly tell him to join the Air Force and don't bother with the Marines. You join the Marines to become a officer of Marines first, being a pilot is secondary to that and he better be ready to accept that. I have no idea if he'd be allowed to apply to OTS at that time (I can't imagine why he wouldn't though), but the Marines shouldn't be a fall back position for anyone or they probably won't make it.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Yep... You can walk away from PLC at any time you want up until you graduate college and are commissioned. Many candidates complete PLC and then don't take their commissions, it's not a problem at all. It is a little stupid to do what your friend is doing, because anyone who joins the Marines just to fly will most likely get eaten alive here... Flying for the Marines is nothing like flying for the air force.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
One of the guys in my OCS class did the first 6 week session, then figured that being paid by BDCP was better than just being paid for the PLC summers. So it looks like it is possible to apply for other programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.