• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Turning Down OCS for Another Branch & Your Record

VWXThrasher378

I am in a bit of a bind and I was hopeful I could find some insight on the AW boards.

I missed the deadline for the SWO boards and decided to look into Army OCS as another option. The Army OCS application process is much faster and I actually rec'vd Pro-Rec Y a few weeks ago. Now my recruiter needs me to take my oath within 3 days or turn down my Pro-Rec Y.

My recruiter said if I turn down the Army OCS Pro-Rec Y, it will stay on my record and other branches will be able to see that. My SWO package is in the running for the next board in Feb/March. Is this true?

Looking forward to everyone's feedback

Knightsnation

Knightsnation
I am in a bit of a bind

Looking forward to everyone's feedback
You've really gotten yourself into s tough decision situation. The question you need to answer is what your ultimate goal is, do you want to just serve your country no matter what branch? Or is your real goal to be a naval officer? Also you have great stats to apply to be a supply officer. You should look into it. If I was in your position I'd probably turn down the Army.

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
The question you need to answer is what your ultimate goal is, do you want to just serve your country no matter what branch?
Exactly this. My personal goal was to serve as an officer. My officer and enlisted friends from various branches basically told me that some branches put a whole lot more stress on the body, and that I would be better off in the Navy. Still, a commission in hand definitely beats slogging through additional selection boards, with the possibility to be told 'No'.

I'm just sayin'...

VWXThrasher378

Thanks guys, for the input. I definitely wan to serve and I am greatly humbled by the offer.

Does anyone know about the record issue? Will rejecting Army OCS Pro-Rec Y negatively influence my application to SWO Navy OCS?

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

Thanks guys, for the input. I definitely wan to serve and I am greatly humbled by the offer.

Does anyone know about the record issue? Will rejecting Army OCS Pro-Rec Y negatively influence my application to SWO Navy OCS?

The army doesn't notify other services that you have declined a position, nor can they just see you were selected and declined the spot, on the application you have to put if you have applied before, but that is up to you, so to me it seems as if that army recruiter is telling you things to benefit him and I would be wary of what else he is saying. You need to do what is going to make you happy.

I will also say that a bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush.

SWOMan

I said it over email.... but i'll say it again. You have a golden ticket. Take it, don't look back, and kick ass. Call us if you need an airstrike.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

I've never met Army Officers that regretted their service in their MOS. I know plenty of SWOs that have regretted going SWO. I think you'd be plenty foolish to turn down a commission. I know one dude who turned down a commission in the Marine Corps once over girl after OCC. He spent the next 6 years regretting his decision and reapplying to get into another officer program before he got picked up.

If you turn down your Army commission now there's zero certainty that you'll have what the Navy is looking for to offer you a OCS slot. Don't just assume because you got one, you'll get another offer. When I applied I got an offer from the Navy and the Air Force, but not the Army- each service looks for something different amongst their applicants, and the competition changes every board.

VWXThrasher378

NO IT DOES NOT...

My bullshit meter just broke reading this

Definitely a relief, thanks sharing your insight. My biggest reservation about Army OCS is the uncertainty relating to your job. The Navy is nice because you apply for the job that you want. If it doesn't work out, well you can always apply again.

Igloojam

pilot
Definitely a relief, thanks sharing your insight. My biggest reservation about Army OCS is the uncertainty relating to your job. The Navy is nice because you apply for the job that you want. If it doesn't work out, well you can always apply again.

couple of things though man... back in the day they used to tell us "don't burn up someone's seat to a school when you don't know what you want to do"

It basically means if you're not 100% about doing something, then don't apply. The reason being is because there might be another guy who wants it more than you do, and if you apply you could potentially take that away from him/her.

I've noticed a lot folks around here bouncing around, trying to get the "best deal"... I get it... its your life, your prerogative ... But think long and hard about what you REALLY want to do.... because out there, there is a dude who has spent his entire life dreaming of becoming a SWO. He wants it more than you do. By submitting your application that person now has to compete with you. It wouldn't be very awesome if you got it, he didn't, and then you decided to go army...

Catch my drift?

VWXThrasher378

So what'd you decide to do?

Its a difficult decision and if I could do it all over again, I would have made different choices. I wasted the time of a lot of good people and perhaps taken the spot of someone who pursued Army OCS with more commitment and passion. I take accountability for my actions and I apologized personally to my Army recruiter with humility, respect, and honesty.

I should have done more research in regard to the MOS placement process, and unfortunately, there is no AW board to refer to for information for Army OCS. With that being said, I will not be taking the Army opportunity. Whatever my future holds for the Navy SWO, I am prepared to handle it. If anything, I can always apply a 2nd time for the Navy. All in all, I am enjoying my civilian job and it would not be the worst thing to wait another 6 months for a 2nd try to a goal I am really passionate about.