• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Turning down a slot

robav8r

None
Contributor
I have many many other options but it is just sad because I would have taken being any form of Naval Officer after I graduate over any other route because for me the Navy had a higher calling even over other military branches or positions in government protecting the constitution.
A "higher calling" means service & sacrifice over all else. Your comment above is not sad, it's misguided. It sounds like you want your cake with the comfort and familiararity of being able to choose exactly what YOU want exactly when YOU want it. The real world (and the Navy) doesn't work that way. Just my .02c . . .

Scruff

None
Contributor
Pretty black and white choice for you here.

Sounds like you're not listening to the advice given to you.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I will try and explain this again...
Look, the double-talk about wanting to be an officer above all-else and then acting like a victim for having an application submitted (and accepted) to the NFO community isn't helping you with the peanut gallery, particularly with those who are former or current NFOs themselves.

No one misunderstands your situation. It's not complicated. At this point, you have two choices: Serve in the Navy as an NFO and put grad school on hold, or complete graduate school and don't serve as an officer in the Navy at all because the Navy (and possibly other branches) most likely will not accept you to a commissioning program again.

Like Picklesuit said, you're an adult, make a decision.

nugget81

pilot
It sounds like the OP has already made up his mind. Is the situation fair? Probably not, but there are literally thousands of guys who would kill to have the opportunity being presented. That being said, when I was applying I wanted to be a pilot and nothing else. If I couldn't fly, then I wouldn't have gone into the Navy. However, looking back I can see that I was young, naive, and didn't truly know what Naval Aviation was about. Hindsight is 20/20. Best of luck on your decision...

TBRaysluv

Who are all of you to judge? You do not know the situation. Yes I did make the decision to turn it down a while ago after being told over and over again that it will not affect me and it is totally fine that I turn down a slot I NEVER APPLIED FOR! Which I now see were all LIES which I have come to understand comes with the territory.... WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE TO JUDGE. I ASKED A QUESTION I DON'T GIVE A FLYING LEAP WHAT YOU THINK OF ME. GET OVER YOURSELVES.

Last edited:

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Who the F are all of you to judge? You do not know the situation. Yes I did make the decision to turn it down a while ago after being told over and over again that it will not affect me and it is totally fine that I turn down a slot I NEVER APPLIED FOR! Which I now see were all LIES which I have come to understand comes with the territory.... WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE TO JUDGE. I ASKED A QUESTION I DON'T GIVE A FLYING LEAP WHAT YOU THINK OF ME. JUDGE YOURSELF. GET OVER YOURSELVES.
Look Scooter,
We are the people with whom you have expressed the desire to join. Unfortunately (for you) or fortunately (for us) your chance wasn't exactly to your liking. Your desire to get a graduate degree and/or be a pilot outweighed your desire to be a Naval Officer. You then came to US for advice/thoughts and didn't like the answer. Your petulant attitude did nothing to help the situation.

You ask who we are to judge? Current, former, and future Naval Officers. The very cadre you wanted to join until the opportunity was presented, an opportunity many of us worked years to get, an opportunity you shat on and then whined about.
You will get no sympathy, no understanding, just a quick dose of reality and a polite "go away now."
Pickle

TBRaysluv

Look Scooter,
We are the people with whom you have expressed the desire to join. Unfortunately (for you) or fortunately (for us) your chance wasn't exactly to your liking. Your desire to get a graduate degree and/or be a pilot outweighed your desire to be a Naval Officer. You then came to US for advice/thoughts and didn't like the answer. Your petulant attitude did nothing to help the situation.

You ask who we are to judge? Current, former, and future Naval Officers. The very cadre you wanted to join until the opportunity was presented, an opportunity many of us worked years to get, an opportunity you shat on and then whined about.
You will get no sympathy, no understanding, just a quick dose of reality and a polite "go away now."
Pickle
We will see by the way you don't put law school on hold unless you are never coming back...

TBRaysluv

Thanks for the info, help and advice I would give it a try but the Army is the only JAG anyone stands a chance with outside of coming from Harvard, Yale or Stanford these days. You can think what you want but I simply came to this board for answers and not to be attacked. I was attacked for a decision I had already made with bad advice. I wish I would have come hear first instead of listening to others. But alas, here is to becoming a State Attorney so I can take my anger and jealousy out on DUI offenders lol! Or maybe I might just apply to Army JAG the UCMJ sounds kinda fun.

I mean you kind of have to see that I made a decision, a decision I never should have had to make, a decision that turned out to be on bad information or lies from people I thought I could trust and then I get attacked for it on here? If that seems fair to all of you then I guess I was wrong about Naval Officers.

Last edited:

ryan1234

Thanks for the info, help and advice I would give it a try but the Army is the only JAG anyone stands a chance with outside of coming from Harvard, Yale or Stanford these days. You can think what you want but I simply came to this board for answers and not to be attacked. I was attacked for a decision I had already made with bad advice. I wish I would have come hear first instead of listening to others. But alas, here is to becoming a State Attorney so I can take my anger and jealousy out on DUI offenders lol! Or maybe I might just apply to Army JAG the UMCJ sounds kinda fun.

I mean you kind of have to see that I made a decision, a decision I never should have had to make, a decision that turned out to be on bad information or lies from people I thought I could trust and then I get attacked for it on here? If that seems fair to all of you then I guess I was wrong about Naval Officers.

Dude, some people just don't have what it takes or just simply can't fit into the community. There's no harm in it, it's not for everyone.