• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Turning down a slot

TBRaysluv

How badly does it hurt you to turn down a non-swo slot? Does it hurt you really badly with unaffiliated communities?

exNavyOffRec

How badly does it hurt you to turn down a non-swo slot? Does it hurt you really badly with unaffiliated communities?

well, I have seen a few turn down spots, they were never selected again except for one who turned it down due to a significant family medical issue.

NRC often refers to those that turn down spots as "quitters"

TBRaysluv

What if you turned down a slot because you didn't apply to it? You applied to a pilot slot only because you were about to age out and somehow by magic.... You were also submitted for NFO. You had planned on dropping out of Grad school if you were selected for pilot because you would age out if you stayed to graduate. Low and behold... you were selected for NFO that you never submitted for.... Do I stand a chance. My personal statement did not state I did not apply for NFO because that would pretty much be saying well you know what it would be saying but personal statement did say I decided to finish my grad education in order to better myself for the Navy. Do I stand a chance?

I really didn't want to post this but I need answers

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As others have mentioned if you turn down an offered slot the chances of getting selected again are slim, NavyOffRec ought to know since he was a recruiter. Since you are close to the age limit already that makes it even harder.

This brings up a critical point, joining the Navy means you an officer first and an aviator second. If you are that focused on being a pilot that you would give up a slot for NFO then you might want to reconsider things.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
As others have mentioned if you turn down an offered slot the chances of getting selected again are slim, NavyOffRec ought to know since he was a recruiter. Since you are close to the age limit already that makes it even harder.

This brings up a critical point, joining the Navy means you an officer first and an aviator second. If you are that focused on being a pilot that you would give up a slot for NFO then you might want to reconsider things.

+1

Even though you won't be a pilot, you still have the ONCE IN A LIFETIME OPPORTUNITY to serve as an officer in the United States Navy. Turning the offer down, even if your recruiter/processor screwed up and put the wrong choices down will SEVERELY impact your chances down the road, even if you get a master's degree. NavyOffRec said it best, NRC will view you as a quitter and will want an explanation as to why you turned it down in the first place.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do I understand you correctly that you want to decline an OCS spot because you got NFO when you wanted pilot?

If that's so, it's a dumb idea, for several reasons. Not least that your chances of doing a FO-to-pilot transition at some point are a hell of a lot better than your chances of declining a spot and then starting the process all over again with a big frowny-face sticker on your record.

Also, this may be the interwebz, but punctuation is still vital for clarity, no matter the medium.

Scruff

None
Contributor
Don't do it. I was in the EXACT same position you were in. Applied Pilot and my recruiter submitted NFO as well without me knowing. Got Pro-Rec'd NFO.
Turned it down at the advice of the same recruiter. Bad idea. Applied again and had to answer a lot of questions just to submit again. Was declined for both Pilot and NFO.
Long story, but I had to fight so ridiculously hard to get into the Navy after that. With a ton of time, effort, hard work, and a bad ass officer recruiter (Different Chief), I got my NFO slot. Very fortunate I am where I am. I love my job.

croakerfish

pilot
Don't do it. I was in the EXACT same position you were in. Applied Pilot and my recruiter submitted NFO as well without me knowing. Got Pro-Rec'd NFO.
Turned it down at the advice of the same recruiter. Bad idea. Applied again and had to answer a lot of questions just to submit again. Was declined for both Pilot and NFO.
Long story, but I had to fight so ridiculously hard to get into the Navy after that. With a ton of time, effort, hard work, and a bad ass officer recruiter (Different Chief), I got my NFO slot. Very fortunate I am where I am. I love my job.

stash-1-282251212e360e4d7.jpeg

ryan1234

What if you turned down a slot because you didn't apply to it? You applied to a pilot slot only because you were about to age out and somehow by magic.... You were also submitted for NFO. You had planned on dropping out of Grad school if you were selected for pilot because you would age out if you stayed to graduate. Low and behold... you were selected for NFO that you never submitted for.... Do I stand a chance. My personal statement did not state I did not apply for NFO because that would pretty much be saying well you know what it would be saying but personal statement did say I decided to finish my grad education in order to better myself for the Navy. Do I stand a chance?

I really didn't want to post this but I need answers

It all depends on what you really want to do in life? Are you content with not serving or would you rather serve in some capacity.

I was previously a civilian pilot, working as a pilot, long story short... I ended up getting selected for the AF equivalent of an NFO. I was getting old and had a choice to make: turn down the opportunity to serve and fly jets, potentially to look back on life to never have served.... or become a WSO and serve in a flying capacity. Well, I chose the later. I fly an amazing jet, lase in bombs, do night low levels at 540 knots / 500' on NVGs.... do ACM/BFM, and part of an amazing community.... family... for me, I can't imagine having turned down this amazing opportunity. The days are long and it's always a kick in the nuts... but it's an awesome job and I'm lucky to have it. Just my two cents.

TBRaysluv

I will try and explain this again. I never turned in an ASPR with an NFO designator code on it.... I made it known on several occasions I only want to be submitted for pilot at this time. I only wanted to apply to pilot. But somehow by magic I was selected for NFO. I was and am in grad school at the time and had no plan of applying to any other designator than pilot until AFTER I graduate, at which time I would apply to all other designators. I had very good reasons for not applying to NFO. I would have never even applied to pilot in the first place had I known it would cause this. I want to be a navy officer above all else but when you invest 200k in an professional degree you probably want to finish especially if you are doing well. I applied to pilot and pilot alone because I would not be able to at the end of my professional degree because of my age. I have many many other options but it is just sad because I would have taken being any form of Naval Officer after I graduate over any other route because for me the Navy had a higher calling even over other military branches or positions in government protecting the constitution. I can not change what is done I just hope the board can see through automatically calling someone a quitter because of finishing a professional degree but if they can't I guess it just was never meant to be.

WEGL12

VT-28
I will try and explain this again. I never turned in an ASPR with an NFO designator code on it.... I made it known on several occasions I only want to be submitted for pilot at this time. I only wanted to apply to pilot. But somehow by magic I was selected for NFO. I was and am in grad school at the time and had no plan of applying to any other designator than pilot until AFTER I graduate, at which time I would apply to all other designators. I had very good reasons for not applying to NFO. I would have never even applied to pilot in the first place had I known it would cause this. I want to be a navy officer above all else but when you invest 200k in an professional degree you probably want to finish especially if you are doing well. I applied to pilot and pilot alone because I would not be able to at the end of my professional degree because of my age. I have many many other options but it is just sad because I would have taken being any form of Naval Officer after I graduate over any other route because for me the Navy had a higher calling even over other military branches or positions in government protecting the constitution. I can not change what is done I just hope the board can see through automatically calling someone a quitter because of finishing a professional degree but if they can't I guess it just was never meant to be.

Grad school isn't going anywhere. You can always go back and finish in a few years. The chance to serve will not always be available since you indicate age is an issue. Along with turning down a selection likely greatly decreases your odds of getting selected again, this is your best chance of getting a commission. Personally I question if you want to be a Naval Officer, you may want to be a pilot, but if you truly wanted a commission the choice is easy to make. You made the statement that being an officer first is most important. However you want to turn down an opportunity to get a commission, to me just doesn't seem you truly want to be a Naval Officer first. You would still be in the aviation community as a NFO.

Side note I know six to eight people that only wanted SNA but were picked up as NFOs. They absolutely love what they are doing now. Sure they may still wish they were in the front seat but they said the NFO side of things are a great opportunity as well. Either way it's a sweet job.

ryan1234

I'd like to think I'm of average intelligence, but I'm still slightly confused. Professional degree? Care to elaborate? Are you in Med School, Law School, Engineering etc? What are the "very good reasons for not applying to NFO"? Are you trying to be a test pilot eventually? Maybe pull some interstellar stuff...looking for worm holes, saving humanity?

You applied to pilot and pilot alone because of your age... so you would be ok with not finishing the "professional degree" if you would have been accepted as a pilot, but you're not ok with not finishing the degree because you would be an NFO - but yet you want to be a Naval Officer above all else? Just curious what degree / master plan is driving this decision? What are the many, many other options?