• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TSP going ROTH

Silhouette

Is Roth right for me? Heck yeah, it is! Hope everyone passes this info on to their Marines, Sailors, Airmen, and Coast Guardsmen.
Thanks for the update, draad.

Nevermor70

This is awesome, especially for newer guys. A brand new E-1 is definitely going be better off paying a lower tax now on their contributions rather than taking a bigger tax bite when they actually go to retire and can expect to have a higher income.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
You can contribute to both. There is another thread around here somewhere that covers it.

So I can put $5k into my Vanguard Roth this year, and up to 17k (not that I'll get close on ensign pay with bar tabs) into the TSP Roth option in the same year?

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
So I can put $5k into my Vanguard Roth this year, and up to 17k (not that I'll get close on ensign pay with bar tabs) into the TSP Roth option in the same year?

My understanding was that Roth money is still Roth money, and thus subject to the $5k annual limit, total, across all Roth funds. So you can put $5k into your Vanguard Roth (or your TSP Roth, or split between the 2), and then you can invest additional money into a regular TSP account (non-Roth). Is that not correct?

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot

Correct. This was discussed earlier in another thread, as bert said. The best part is you can put untaxed combat pay into the Roth, and basically never pay tax on that money.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
My understanding was that Roth money is still Roth money, and thus subject to the $5k annual limit, total, across all Roth funds. So you can put $5k into your Vanguard Roth (or your TSP Roth, or split between the 2), and then you can invest additional money into a regular TSP account (non-Roth). Is that not correct?

Negative.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Can't find the other thread with search. Can anyone point me in the right direction?