• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TSA's new security strategy

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Maybe it's because I am 6' 2", blonde hair blue eyes, with a reg haircut...but I never get bothered going through security. I've probably flown commercial on an average of 4x a year since I was born...many more when I was a minor, not so much now that I am government issue, and I have yet to be pulled aside. Before 9/11/2001 I went through with all sorts of crap, pocket knives (think Boy Scout knife, not Bowie) and weird electronic toys...I even threw a vibrator in my friends bag in college to fuck with her, nothing!

After the security tightened up I was pretty good about sterilizing my gear before going in, but still, I figured at least once...

I do have to say that after about 2004 it seems everyone got a clue and 90% of people that are regular travellers seem to be ready at the checkpoint...none of that deer in the headlights "you need my ID?" shit anymore...and the other 10% are getting better at figuring it out. I went through LAX and OKC back in February and both lines were pretty fast...especially considering I hit the morning rush in LA...

I like the appearance of security that TSA gives, between what they actually catch and keeping Mr. and Mrs. Joe America happy to fly feeling "safe" they do their job (a little placebo effect)

I have no idea on what goes on behind the scenes there, I'm sure that TSA is far from the last line of defense against the swarthy horde of shoe-bombers, but they are good at preventing the average idiot from walking through with a gun and a bad attitude. They have a shitty job, noone really appreciates what they do, it's a little like being a traffic cop or a prison guard...nobody wants to be them, but we still need them to keep society happy and running.

I still prefer to be polite and treat them like a human being when I deal with them, and have yet to see them do any less in return...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Maybe it's because I am 6' 2", blonde hair blue eyes, with a reg haircut...but I never get bothered going through security....
I'm 6'0", brown hair (O.K. ... mebbe slightly grey, now), green eyes, w/ a reg haircut .... AND I was wearin' 4 stripes, scrambled eggs, and drivin' the plane ... but yet I still got "bothered" on a continuing and regular basis going through "security" ... and I have the keys to the car.

fourstripes1mq5.jpg

Go figure.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I'm 6'0", brown hair (O.K. ... mebbe slightly grey, now), green eyes, w/ a reg haircut .... AND I was wearin' 4 stripes, scrambled eggs, and drivin' the plane ... but yet I still got "bothered" on a continuing and regular basis going through "security" ... and I have the keys to the car.

Go figure.

"Well we can't trust those damned dirty pilots not to sneak a nail file aboard...they might try to hijack the...uhh...wait, never mind" I think it is a case of fucking with the senior guys, just to feel a little power...kinda like getting harrassed by the gate guards on the way in to base... "Sir, your ID card needs to be replaced, it looks mutilated"

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... "Sir, your ID card needs to be replaced, it looks mutilated"
Prior to 9/11, one of my airline Amigos had "altered" his airline ID to portray a chimp w/an airline Capt's hat in place of HIS regular ID picture ...

He went through security screening for 5 years prior to 9/11 w/out the security Nazi's ever calling him on it ... :D

83589144oe9.jpg

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
you book one way tickets at the last minute?

I have never understood the TSA's fascination with one-way tickets. Now that people that know that they screen for that, any serious terrorist would buy round trip tickets. It is a self defeating decision.

It is one more example or showing security when not actually being secure.