• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TSA's new security strategy

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Ensuring the defeat terrorism by breaking the planes so the terrorist can't fly.......

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=5613502&page=1

Those idiots never cease to amaze me.

Seriously, where the f$&k do they find these idiots? I think I've met two of their employees who didn't immediately strike me as complete morons. And i might note that I fly a LOT and every time i deal with these jackasses my opinion of them reaches a new low.

I mean, seriously, I realize that some people are incompetent, that's the nature of things. But WHY is there such a concentration of stupidity at the TSA? From their idiotic rules, which don't make us the least bit safer, to their unbelievably unprofessional behavior, they are a total waste of government money.

The heads of the TSA need to come to Japan and see how security is supposed to be done. Everybody dressed sharp, not grossly over weight in a stained uniform, they are professional and fast, but still give the impression of being thorough (i really don't know how good they are, but you don't hear about any highjackings here, at least not recently). The security areas are spotless (like the rest of the airport) and they don't make you do dumb shit like take your shoes off. I get the impression every time I deal with the TSA that I'm infringing on their personal time, never get that here - you feel like you're the ONLY person they have had to screen that day and they are delighted you honored them by choosing their line!

erg...

/end rant

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... come to Japan and see how security is supposed to be done. Everybody dressed sharp, not grossly over weight in a stained uniform, they are professional and fast, but still give the impression of being thorough....erg.../end rant
Well ... don't be too sure about that ... I could tell you a couple of security related stories that would make your round-eyes get rounder. :sleep_125

Jap-anese airport security is still a "dumping ground" for airport employees in a general sense ... much like their Gaijin counterparts. We don't have a monopoly on bureaucratic stupidity ... it's just that most of the Jap-anese airport security personnel are not as fat ... :)

..... but their mindset, culture, and tradition still forces them to defer to the
Gaijin Kyaputen when push comes to shove -- and when Captain Aloha lays the hammer down.

Believe it. :)

PropStop

pilot
Contributor
Well ... don't be too sure about that ... I could tell you a couple of security related stories that would make your round-eyes get rounder. :sleep_125

Jap-anese airport security is still a "dumping ground" for airport employees in a general sense ... much like their Gaijin counterparts. We don't have a monopoly on bureaucratic stupidity ... it's just that most of the Jap-anese airport security personnel are not as fat ... :)

..... but their mindset, culture, and tradition still forces them to defer to the
Gaijin Kyaputen when push comes to shove -- and when Captain Aloha lays the hammer down.

Believe it. :)

well, if you're going to go through security run by Special Olympics bench warmers, at least it's nice to deal with someone who's polite and doesn't look like ass. Airport security wasn't competent BEFORE 9/11, but at least they didn't harass you much.

You're just as unsafe on the other side of the checkpoint but you're not pissed off.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
well,....at least they didn't harass you much.... you're not pissed off.
Fe-e-e-e-elings .... whoa, whoa, whoa .... feeee-e-e-elings .... whoa, whoa, whoa .... fee-e-e-e-elings, nothing more than feelings ....

Feelings don't count, only competency counts. TSA-style airport "security" is mostly bullshit in any case ... no matter in what language it's spoken ... :)

Bevo16

pilot
I had a great experience at the Portland airport last week. I finished my meeting and did not have time to change out of uniform before catching my flight. Of course, I set the metal detector off and the woman asks me to take off my shoes and go through again. There is no requirement that you take your shoes off, so I told her that I would rather stay in proper uniform. She tells me "If you want to get on any flight today, you will take your shoes off. They are setting off the metal detector." Now, Bates Lites don't have any metal in them, so I figure that I will play along. I remove the shoes, walk through again and of course it goes off. Now the woman is confused and can't figure out why it's beeping. I point out the fact that I have metal on my collar devices, wings, medals, name tag, belt buckle, and shirt stays. She looks confused and pissed. Then she askes me to take my belt off. "No, thank you, I would prefer to be checked by one of the hand held detectors." So, she sends me off to a glass cube just behind the metal detector area in full view of about 400 people waiting to get through security. At this point, it was pretty obvious that their goal was not to see if I had a weapon, but to attempt to humiliate me. They had me stand there with my arm out for 4-5 minutes, the TSA agent removed my belt and unbuttoned my uniform shirt to feel my chest behind my medals. and name tag.

Not cool. Not fun.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I had a great experience at the Portland airport last week. .... Not cool. Not fun.
Now put on the uniform of a 747 Captain and repeat.

That's why I decided early in the TSA "game" to figuratively take out my sword and draw a line in the sand. I was NOT going to be strip-searched nor poked, punched, prodded, and dressed down by a bunch of high school drop-outs when I had the "keys to the car" ... and more security training and knowledge in my little finger than they did in their entire peanut brain .... AND I had 400 passengers waiting on me to man up and light the fires. I'll do what's "right & proper" and cooperate, but not drop and give 'em "50" so they can feel "good" about their place in the world.

Bring over the supervisor ... and quote Captain Aloha:

"I'm starting to get stressed out over this whole procedure and do not think I will be mentally prepared nor safe to fly this flight if this harassment continues ..... "

Result: Security screening passed. Game over. :)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Those idiots never cease to amaze me. ...

/end rant

I am going to go way out on a limb here and try to bring the TSA bashing into perspective. Since I fly more then all of you, except the other active airline guys here, I feel qualified. Generally, I find the employees at check points reasonable. Many are not very personable. But then how would you act when person after person you deal with acts like an idiot (not you propstop;)). I guarantee you many of the passengers are absolutely clueless, like there is not threat to security, or their mothers didn't teach them common courtesy. In fact, I don't think it unusual to see passengers at the check points being far more idiotic and impolite then the TSA screeners. And speaking of idiotic, these guys are just enforcing stupid rules they are ordered to enforce. (Like that never happens in the Navy) They don't make the rules and they have no choice. TSA screeners are given zero authority to use their own common sense or judgment. It is a hard job. It isn't much different then being a corrections officer. Some one out there is going to try to take advantage of any perceived weakness. You have to be a bit of the hard ass all the time. If you get too friendly and casual one minute you may miss a detail or be conned the next minute. The effectiveness of TSA policies is absolutely debatable. But I find most of the TSA folks are just trying to do their jobs in a tough situation. Give me a break, do you want to be the guy that lets the next Richard Reid through security? I know you don't want to be the next guy to splash a plane, so you take your job seriously. Why can't they? As to where do they get these guys? Lots are ex military. So if they are idiots they are your spawn. Recently, the only guy I have had even a little difficulty with is a former Marine in LAX. Lately, in my experience, I have not found TSA personnel to be any better or worse then the folks at DMV or the Post Office, and they have tougher jobs.
BTW you are required to take your shoes off!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....in my experience, I have not found TSA personnel to be any better or worse then the folks at DMV or the Post Office...
Good point. Which is why I eschew all contact w/ government bean-counters-workers whenever possible ... :)

Good post, too Wink. Good headwork as always.

Bevo16

pilot
BTW you are required to take your shoes off!

Negative.

http://www.tsa.dhs.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1880.shtm

Military personnel in uniform, with a valid military ID are not required to remove their footwear unless it alarms the walk through metal detector.

If the woman had any sense at all, or ever paid a lick of attention to anything in her life, she could tell the difference between a pair of dress shoes and steel toe boots. She could have also opened up her eyes to the fact that my uniform has about 15 other metal objects on it, and taking rubber and leather shoes off are not going make one bit of a difference in what that machine picks up.

If she had known her policy and paid attention to what her eyes and ears were telling her, I would have just gone straight to the secondary screening.

PropStop

pilot
Contributor
I hear you Wink, and I understand the situation very well. I've worked (in a previous life) in tourism, specifically with helicopters. People get D-U-M dumb around aircraft, for some reason, and that extends to the security checkpoint. As the guy in the know, the employee processing people, it is extremely frustrating to deal with those brain dead people, as you well know. It is very hard to treat every passenger with respect and courtesy - but that is part of the job. That and make sure they are safe.

My point of contention is this - a lot of the screeners are no different quality wise than the people before 9/11, and they used to be just as (in)effective then without being dicks. So they are not the sharpest tools in the shed, that's okay. I know it's a hard job, and it IS important, but they can still do a better job and they can be courteous. They may have little wiggle room within their rules, but they CAN apply common sense - if they have it. Be they ex-military or otherwise, stupid is stupid and it is inexcusable. If you're an idiot, you shouldn't be hired. Of course, the pool of non-idiots who are willing to do that job is fairly small I guess.

I know there are good TSA people out there - I've met more than a few. But when I walk up, present my ID and ticket, say "Hi, how are you doing?", don't be a dick to me. This happens all the time, and I am not a dick to them, I am exceedingly polite because that's the way I was raised.

The TSA would be more effective with their current crop of people if they would focus on professionalism and customer service. I've seen it done other places and at least FELT more safe, because the screeners seemed to be on the ball. Perception is a major part of the security battle. I would accept their crappy service, attitudes, and uniforms if I was certain they were effective, but how often have we heard about them failing THEIR OWN TEST?! At least their honest with their audits.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Hmmmm ... wonder how El Al "TSA" does it .... THOSE are the guys I want on my team. :)

It CAN be done -- and done correctly, politely, and professionally. Just not anywhere near U.S. airports .... and not anytime soon. :sleep_125

PropStop

pilot
Contributor
Hmmmm ... wonder how El Al "TSA" does it .... THOSE are the guys I want on my team. :)

It CAN be done -- and done correctly, politely, and professionally. Just not anywhere near U.S. airports .... and not anytime soon. :sleep_125

I fear you are correct, sir. Disappointing as that is...