• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Trying To Get Back In, Do I Stand A Chance?

Cougars15

Hi guys. I'm trying to go back to the military in any way shape or form. I've spent the past 2 years applying to USMC OCS and my latest PFT (Pull Ups:0, Push Ups:44, Crunches: 110, 3 Mile Run: 25:57 SCORE: 232/300) isn't great. I'm working to get better but I know my chances aren't great.
In the meantime, I'm looking at going back into the Navy Enlisted. Here are my 3 statements. Do I stand a chance at going back in?

Why Out
From from 1 JULY 2010 to 18 MAY 2013, I was a Midshipman enrolled at the United States Naval Academy. While I was there in the year 2012, the Commandant at the time, Captain Robert E. Clark II,USN, lowered the body fat standards for the United States Naval Academy from the United States Navy them by 4% from Fleet standards. In my case this mean that instead of being allowed to have 36% body fat as a female, I needed to have 32% body fat. This was not easy for me and I struggled to lose the weight. While, I could pass my PRT with a B (90-Excellent-High Sit Ups, 42-Excellent-Medium Push Ups, 11:45-Outstanding-Low Run) but I couldn't meet weight standard of 163 for my height of 66 inches or body fat standards of 32%, which meant that I scored an F and that severely, hurt my GPA at the time. I worked hard to lose more weight but I unfortunately plateaued at 168 pounds and 34% body fat. When this happened towards the end of my Junior year at the United States Naval Academy, I was afraid that I was going to be kicked out for being out of body weight standards and in order to keep myself there, I chose to lie about my height for weigh ins. This was wrong and against the Honor Code at the United States Naval Academy. When I was caught, I admitted my guilt to the Honor Board and I requested to be Retained and allowed commit Honor Remediation, a program for first time Honor Offenders at the United States Naval Academy. But the Honor Board did not believe that I could successfully complete Honor Remediation and they recommended me to further action from the Commandant. He then recommended me to the Superintendent, Vice Admiral Michael H. Miller, USN. After hearing my case, Vice Admiral Miller recommended me for separation from the United States Naval Academy which occurred on 18 MAY 2013.

What Have I Been Doing

Upon returning home, I was thrown out of my parents home in Summerton, SC and made to fend for myself.. Despite homelessness, lack of transportation, and financially instability, I persevered and made it to Charleston, South Carolina where I re-enrolled in college at the College of Charleston. Through working 5 jobs and keeping a 21 credit hour schedule for 5 consecutive semesters, I earned my Bachelors of Arts in English and Bachelors of Science in 2015 from the College of Charleston with minors in Creative Writing and Theater as well as Teaching License in English. After graduation, I began teaching and work on my Masters Degrees at The Citadel: The Military College of South Carolina. I was put in charge of the education in regards to mathematics for over 100 cadets for the following courses: Pre-Calculus, Calculus II, and College Algebra. In the May of 2017, I earned my Masters of Arts in Education with a Concentration in Mathematics and I will earn my Masters of Science in Leadership in August 2017. Recently, I have moved to Beaufort, SC where I work Starbucks in both Bluffton, South Carolina as a Shift Supervisor and Barista full time while working at Under Armor as a retail associate part time. These jobs allow me time to refine my leadership skills as well as my foreign language skills in my interactions with customers whose first languages are Spanish or Japanese. In the fall, I will be teaching 3 sections of Algebra I, 1 section of Algebra I Honors, and 2 sections of Algebra II at Benedictine Military School in Savannah, Georgia.

In regards to my weight, I adopted a new healthy lifestyle that has helped me greatly. I have adopted a Paleo/Whole30 lifestyle. The food that I intake is whole in nature being only proteins, vegetables, and fruits. This has greatly helped me lose weight and keep it off as I am eating healthy food groups and excluding sugar, dairy, and processed foods which is where my weight troubles came from. I currently weigh 159 pounds and have a body fat of 27% Additionally, I have taken on a regular workout routine including cardio, calisthenics and yoga. I run 4 times a week on a schedule of timed intervals on Monday, a PFT (Physical Fitness Test) on Wednesday, a long 4-5 mile run on Friday, and Sprints on Saturday. I also do calisthenics on Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday after Cardio and I do 30 minute yoga sessions on Tuesday and Thursday. This has greatly improved my strength and speed. My best PFT so far has been 30 push ups, 110 crunches, and a 3 mile 25:36 run which roughly equals a PRT of 30 push ups (Good-High) , 110 sit ups (Outstanding-High), and 1.5 mile run of 12:48 (Excellent-High) on 31 MAY 2017.

Why Navy?

I miss the Navy. I miss the camaraderie and unity that existed within it and alludes me in civilian society. I want to do what I set out to do when I went to the US Naval Academy and serve my country in any capacity. My best times at the Naval Academy ironically were not in Annapolis, Maryland. They were at sea on the USS Iwo Jima-LHD 7 in the Deck Department and on the USS Makin Island-LHD 8 in the Supply Department. There the mentality was “One Team, One Fight” everyday. Through the good and the bad, I was apart of a team that did its job no matter how miniscule it was because it was all about teamwork and sacrifice for the greater good. I felt like I belonged there and that my service meant something whether it was scraping paint or counting toilet paper. I want to have that feeling again of service and selfless sacrifice. I was selfish when I lied and I regret that. I will not do it again and I have learned that is is better to be honest and truthful than to be deceitful for a selfish gain. I know that I can come back in and serve in a better way than I did before in greater physical and mental shape. Whether I am sent back to chipping paint or counting boxes of toilet paper or translating foreign languages, I want to go back into the Navy and serve for the greater good of our nation.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I read the first two statements. So many things wrong there. Bad grammar; it's an honor concept vice code; and then to top it all off, you were both out of height / weight standards and lied about it? Sheesh.

Also, doing whole 30 / paleo isn't impossible underway, but it's difficult. What makes you think you can stay in shape once in the Navy?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I read the first two statements. So many things wrong there. Bad grammar; it's an honor concept vice code; and then to top it all off, you were both out of height / weight standards and lied about it? Sheesh.

Also, doing whole 30 / paleo isn't impossible underway, but it's difficult. What makes you think you can stay in shape once in the Navy?
You mean rats quesadillas and chocolate chip cookies aren't paleo?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor

Indeed, we wouldn't want a chubby fibber in a Navy filled with senior officers who sell classified information and high-dollar contracts for hookers, fun with McArthur's gear, and fancy dinners! Look OP, if you got an honorable discharge and a decent RE Code you can come back. If you got a crappy RE Code you can appeal and, as one who routinely sat on appeal boards, you will be granted a second chance.

Try the Navy if you like the clothes. If not, try the Army or Air Force. The Marines are great, I was once one myself, but they are still a bit behind the times when it comes to women.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
You didn't? Usually we got oatmeal raisin bullshit, but the occasional chocolate or white chocolate macademia were the shit!

I was mostly joking, but cookies were a very, very limited commodity. In general, there were 3 methods:

1. CAG had a plate delivered to his office every morning. He made it a challenge to anyone in the airwing to eat them off his desk. Get caught - forced to have a conversation with him. I assume it was mostly just to talk, but not surprisingly, there weren't a lot of takers.
2. Make friends with one of the mess cranks... who would then typically steal cookies destined for the Chief's mess and bring them over to Wardroom 3.
3. Stay late after an UNREP briefing, if any of the HOD tables had cookies leftover, they were fair game, though they would go quickly.

There really weren't many other opportunities. Probably less than 5 times were there any slated for the actual Wardroom.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I was mostly joking, but cookies were a very, very limited commodity. In general, there were 3 methods:

1. CAG had a plate delivered to his office every morning. He made it a challenge to anyone in the airwing to eat them off his desk. Get caught - forced to have a conversation with him. I assume it was mostly just to talk, but not surprisingly, there weren't a lot of takers.
2. Make friends with one of the mess cranks... who would then typically steal cookies destined for the Chief's mess and bring them over to Wardroom 3.
3. Stay late after an UNREP briefing, if any of the HOD tables had cookies leftover, they were fair game, though they would go quickly.

There really weren't many other opportunities. Probably less than 5 times were there any slated for the actual Wardroom.
There were cookies in WR3 routinely, but usually the aforementioned oatmeal raisin bullshit. There were chocolate chip cookies at my TAO board with the captain, but I was on a clean diet at the time so I took them to my shop for the guys to eat. I can assure you the chief's mess wasn't without cookies on either of our ships.... or was it the same ship?;)

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I'd change a lot of the phrasing in your written account of your story. Things like "I couldn't meet the weight standard" to "I didn't meet the standard." Instead of the way you explained the fleet and Academy body fat standards, just leave it at saying you did not meet the Academy standard. The way you've written it right now, "In my case this meant..." someone could interpret it that you are implying that the Academy standards weren't fair. The fleet standard isn't exactly a standard of excellence, whether the number is fair or unfair or if life is unfair for that matter..

Own everything in your story, the bad with the good. "I chose to lie about my height" is the right way to phrase it, harsh as it sounds. I'd delete "When I was caught" and just start the sentence right after that. I know you're not trying to open the door to if you'd gotten away with it, but again, your phrasing there leaves it open to interpretation.

The "I was thrown out of my parents' home" is reeeally awkward. If I was your recruiter or sitting on a selection board and reading that, I'd wonder why someone 18 years of age and employable can't just get a job and a place of their own. Keep the perseverance part right after that and sell it exactly the way you have- quantifying your achievements, in detail, and all the work you did to get there.

Pickle's question is the most important one. Your reentry code on your DD-214 is the first thing the recruiter is going to look at. If it's RE-4 (not recommended) then you have a lot more work to do to overcome that. Remember, don't think of it as the RE code, call it your RE code.

(By the way, it should be "eludes me in civilian society," not "alludes." Everything you wrote alludes to the idea that you would be a great sailor.)

RHINOWSO

"Yeah, we are going to need to see that one again"
None
There were cookies in WR3 routinely, but usually the aforementioned oatmeal raisin bullshit. There were chocolate chip cookies at my TAO board with the captain, but I was on a clean diet at the time so I took them to my shop for the guys to eat. I can assure you the chief's mess wasn't without cookies on either of our ships.... or was it the same ship?;)
We were in with the ships PAO and he would bring a stack of chocolate chip cookies to the ready room in the evening so he would hang out and place acey-deucey. Nothing like eating hot cookies watching your buddies bolter and drawing them a 'box' on the plat-TV. :D

RHINOWSO

"Yeah, we are going to need to see that one again"
None
To the OP.

Do you have a chance? Sure, there is always a chance.

Unfortunately I've see the other side of the story - we had a female in my company who made it all the way to the end of second class year outside of BCA and having never passed the PRT. They gave her every chance in the book to lose weight, pass the PRT, etc. In fact she magically passed the PRT one cool fall night with only 1 firstie watching her, but was still outside of the BCA.

We were so glad to see her gone. After 3 years of watching her drink milk with half a bottle of chocolate syrup at the bottom, there was a reason she was fat and out of shape.

Cougars15

To the OP.

Do you have a chance? Sure, there is always a chance.

Unfortunately I've see the other side of the story - we had a female in my company who made it all the way to the end of second class year outside of BCA and having never passed the PRT. They gave her every chance in the book to lose weight, pass the PRT, etc. In fact she magically passed the PRT one cool fall night with only 1 firstie watching her, but was still outside of the BCA.

We were so glad to see her gone. After 3 years of watching her drink milk with half a bottle of chocolate syrup at the bottom, there was a reason she was fat and out of shape.
That's fair and I never did the chocolate milk thing (That's gross). Anyway, I've decided to stop trying and just pay off the debt. Another no and another door slammed in my face. The end of the road is nein. Well at least I tried.