• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Trying My BEST for BDCP, suggestions??

Chrisi88

Hello, My name is Christina. I'm a 21 year old, and I've wanted to be in the military for quite some time now. I'm in my sophomore year, got accepted into Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, and I've done tons of research and contacted my recruiter about the BDCP program. I would really love to be a pilot; however my second choice in an NFO. I know how crazily selective the process is, and it scares me to death to be honest. I really want things program, because its exactly what I need to finish my degree. I am also a mom, so the benefits and everything help out exceedingly. My degree program is Professional Aeronautics and I have >2 years before I'm done. I have about 24 credits now, but I'm taking some CLEP exams later in the month on stuff i already know to get my credits up to the min 30. I was hoping taking on a full course load and completing a substantial amount of credits would look good as well. I was looking around on this site, and It seems that a lot of people are highly qualified and my resume isn't as great, but I'm trying my absolute best. Even if I don't make it into the program I still want to be an officer after I graduate, however of course the BDCP would make it easier for me to do so. I'm studying hard so I can do outstanding on the ASTB, hopefully if I do exceptional on that, it would give me some pull. Anyways, I'm looking for some general direction and suggestions to help me out along my journey. Some general stats are below:
Degree Program: Aeronautical Science
GPA: 3.53
Stuff I've Done: Professional Horse Trainer, Car Salesman, Camp Counselor
Race: W

GreenLantern330

So...where's the question? If you're worried about not looking good enough, maybe you could explain reasons for not being involved in clubs or sports because you're a mother (if that's the case) in your motivational statement. That and if you don't get selected, keep applying. As far as I'm concerned, there's no limit to how many times you can apply, and when you keep applying it shows how serious you are and how much you want it. Just keep studying and try to make your entire package look amazing. My OR told me to try and get your PRT to 30 push ups and 70 sit ups and under 12 min for the 1.5 mile run to help boost your package, and yes those are scores for women that she recommended. There are a bunch of other guys on here that will probably be able to give you more info.

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
If I would have went to embry-riddle I would have done ROTC in a heart beat. BDCP is an awesome program and I would imagine your ideal program because of more financial assistance and free time for your child. BDCP is competitive so start applying now, I started about 6 months before my major allowed me to go to a board. Keep your gpa up, study for the astb and get involved in any and everything around campus that could more qualify you as an officer candidate. I was non-selected once, so best advice I have is

The Best time to apply is NOW and don't give up! g'luck

BackOrdered

Contributor
Being a mother and holding it down in college subs for clubs and teams in my book. Plus I'm sure the camp counseler job vouches for leadership, too. I'm curious, did you consider NROTC Scholarship program also? Your post suggests you probably have the SAT scores for it.

Also when will you start taking your full load? I applied for BDCP part time and can say they will want to see you take a full challenging load of courses to be considered.

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
Good school, though I may be a bit biased...:icon_tong And being in the AS program should help you a lot on the ASTB. Look for activities around campus that can display your leadership, perhaps tutoring or the volunteer network [or camp counselor]. The GPA is nice, too. Wish I had a 3.5...

Chrisi88

Hey guys thanks for the advice and encouragement!! It really does help.
To (TIZ84) I'm taking on a full course load now, what I meant by looking good, is actually taking on more than 12 credits per semester because right now im studying to take some (DSST and CLEP) exams to exempt classes and just get the credit for them. I'm currently a full time student now 12+ credits a sem.
To (Santana) Thanks, I was thinking of working for the YMCA summer day camp this year to get some extra cash, and add it to my res.
To (TA BOND) Thanks for the words of encouragement, and yes I did think about ROTC, but I would still have to work full time to supplement income, and complete the drills etc. I'm doing Embry-Riddle worldwide vs their 50k a year daytona/arizona campus's and the tuition is substantially less with the worldwide program and located near a ton of bases everywhere.
To (greenlantern330) I didn't exactly have a direct question, just any advice supporting my situation, thanks for the PRT advice, ill be sure to get up to speed best as possible. And i do hope they see it as equally challenging being a single mom, as to doing other volunteer activities etc. I did do some volunteer work 3 years back at NHC healthcare (nursing home for a summer).
Since then though it has been a constant struggle trying to finish college after my son, and get into the military. My reasons for wanting to be in the military is ultimately because I want something different, I want to be apart of a community of hard working people by my side, and know that I'm going to have all the support I need for my family. The BDCP program would be a great jump start, to be able to prep for that career, but I don't have explain something that everyone in this forum knows already! haha. But your right, ill try to use the "mom" thing to my advantage and hope they go for it. (*note* i do have a family care plan type thing, so just as an informant, joining the military I wont be just leaving my son. ) Again thanks for all the support and enlightenment, I hope to make July board if everything goes to plan, I'm starting all paperwork early, just trying to figure out who I want my references to be etc. :)

james23

Sounds like you are on the right track! My app started for BDCP as well :) Little anxious to take the ASTB