• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Trying for DCO PAO Community?

ODSCandidate

OCSCandidate
ASTB for PAO?

I'm not sure on the ASTB as I didn't have to take it for PAO.

Hey, just curious. My recruiter is saying I must take the ASTB to qualify for PAO. What NRD did you go through? If it's not a necessary step, I'd like to know. Thanks for your help.

SavvyPR

LCDR, Navy Reserve PAO
Hey, just curious. My recruiter is saying I must take the ASTB to qualify for PAO. What NRD did you go through? If it's not a necessary step, I'd like to know. Thanks for your help.

Absolutely, 100% false. I am now an active drilling reserve PAO and have never taken it. I went through NRD Michigan.

Now, had I decided to also add Intel to my package, then I would have had to take it. But only applying PAO you DO NOT have to take it.

das

Contributor
Uniforms! Holy Cow! These puppies are expensive! (Bonus: Tax writeoff gouge)

Absolutely, 100% false. I am now an active drilling reserve PAO and have never taken it. I went through NRD Michigan.

Now, had I decided to also add Intel to my package, then I would have had to take it. But only applying PAO you DO NOT have to take it.

Did you have to take the OAR sections? Or have you taken NO parts of the ASTB whatsoever?

SavvyPR

LCDR, Navy Reserve PAO
Did you have to take the OAR sections? Or have you taken NO parts of the ASTB whatsoever?

Nothing whatsoever. Put the package together, put my portfolio pieces together, did the interviews... and got selected.

sadge

DCO Public Affairs Officer (PAO) Community

I was in the Navy AD for almost 3 yrs. I was medseped, with 30% through the VA. I know with that rating I am still eligable to return, my question is how hard is it to go reserves as an officer in public affairs with a BA and will 2 misdemeaners for bad checks keep me from doing that? I have about 2 yrs left in school, and would like to go reserves FTS as a Public Affairs officer when I am done. I it will not be possible I will just go back enlisted and join up sooner rather then later. :idea_125:

X

xxxCharliexxx

I'm confused on whether or not you have your degree or you will be getting it in 2 years.

Also, from what I understood, any criminal offenses kept you from becoming an officer. I'm not an expert so take that with a grain of salt. Just passing on what I understand to be the case.

Best wishes to you!
Charlie

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I'm confused on whether or not you have your degree or you will be getting it in 2 years.

Also, from what I understood, any criminal offenses kept you from becoming an officer. I'm not an expert so take that with a grain of salt. Just passing on what I understand to be the case.

Best wishes to you!
Charlie

I thought it was just felonies, although financial legal troubles certainly will be a hindrance at best.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Criminal records will hold up your security clearance process. How criminal, the disposition, etc, will be one factor in whether your clearance is approved. Doubt an SSBI will be a factor as a Reserve PAO.

However, bouncing checks and a VA disability rating will raise eyebrows when you apply for any officer program. PAO's not a very big community, Reserve/FTS even more so, so why would they take someone with 'issues' when they'll have other applicants who don't?

Couldn't hurt to apply, worst they can say is 'no,' but honestly I think your best route back in is re-enlisiting.

sadge

Thanks for all the advice. To answer a question asked, I will have my degree in a few years.
I did some more searching on my own, I will have an easier time going back in reserves, putting in some time and the going active from there. I am going to go back in enlisted, (I spoke to a recruiter for Officers) I was told that I had a long road ahead of me with the PA thing that it wasnt completely undoable. I am hoping to come back in as a MC, I have started talking to a recruiter in Indy, it will take a few months but I should be back in the service by Christmas!
If anyone has any advice I would love to hear it. Once agin thanks for the comments on the original post.