• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Trying for AD pilot through OCS/OTS. USAF/USN AD pilot pros and cons?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I did look around the site a bit for threads comparing the branches, but I didn't seem to find any that were recent

Why would you think it would be any different now?

The Navy and the AF as a fundamentally different today as they were 100 years ago.

Don't base your decision on the intricacies that can and will change by the time you get to the fleet. Base your decision on what service you want to be an Officer in (if you fail out of flight school, or lose your medical qual, or whatever, you're going to get another job....) . Navy guys do the boat thing, and deploy on boats. Marines do the infantry thing, and deploy on boats. Navy and Marines don't have a lot of land bases, and you'll see the same ones over and over and over again. AF has a lot of bases and airplanes all over the place, they don't deploy on boats.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Was suggested that I look at AF heavies since travel is one of my main goals. I've posted it to a couple of reddit forums as well.

If you want travel to weird and exotic locales, then being a helo driver on an independent deployer is the best gig around. Sadly, that's becoming a bit of a rarity these days with the loss of Frigates and the reshuffling of how we do surface ops. At the end of the day, you have to decide what's most important for you and then rank and stack your choices based upon those priorities. It seems like you're looking for someone to tell you which way to go and give you permission to choose the USAF or the World's Finest Navy. We aren't really in the business of doing that here.

I come from an Air Force family. I knew I wanted to fly since I was a little kid and chose the Navy because all of my heroes and LT Pete Mitchell were Naval Aviators and not just Air Force pilots. Sadly, I didn't get to live out my dream, but I'm still one of the most interesting people in my family. In fact, my first liberty port was Dakar, Senegal, where I was nearly killed in a riot. Among my exploits I have narrowly avoided colliding two ships in the Straits of Gibraltar, wandered around Honduras with a former CIA hitman, befriended mafia wise guys in Casablanca, scuba dived Roman ruins, and been a passenger in more dangerous taxi rides than I can count. You don't get to do those kinds of things in the USAF. Also, you don't get to find out why the stories about Thailand are in no way exaggerated. I have now become that cool uncle who comes to holiday parties and tells wild stories and has trophies throughout his house from his adventures.

At the end of the day it's all about how you want to live your life and WHO you want to be. The choice is yours.

Trying for AD Pilot? I thought this thread was about wanting SPADs.

Is that still an option?

skyraiders_082.jpg

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
To be fair, the USAF didn't technically exist 100 years ago.....though the Navy, as well as its air arm did.
That's right- the fliers in the Army were part of the Signal Corps, right? I'm pretty sure the Signal Corps was the predecessor of IT.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
That's right- the fliers in the Army were part of the Signal Corps, right? I'm pretty sure the Signal Corps was the predecessor of IT.
Some but most were in the Army Air Corps. The Signal Corps pilots had different wings and were limited to types of aircraft they could fly.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Hey everyone! I’ve got an app in as a civilian with both the USAF and USN to be an AD pilot and it looks like I’ve got a good shot at getting into both. Since I might have to decide between the two, I was wondering if anyone could comment on the current pros and cons that I've got in my head. I’d be honored to serve and fly in either branch. Thanks!
P.S. I’ve seen the Bob Norris letter.
USAF
-Pros

-Large number of well-maintained, fixed wing aircraft
-Nice base facilities
-Bases in interesting foreign countries
-Cons
-Could get stuck in a boring base location stateside
-Have heard that leadership seems to regard pilots as office workers instead of pilots.
-Training pipeline is severely clogged mostly due to COVID. Probably wouldn’t go to OTS until late spring 2021 at the earliest.
-Seems to be overly strict about trivial matters akin to a HOA president from hell who’s mad your grass is 2.25” instead of 2” and that you installed a scarlet backdoor instead of a crimson one.
-Have had issues with the recruiting process and know people who have also had issues. I know that problems with recruiting and bureaucracy are more of a feature than a bug in the military, but it’s still concerning especially when compared to my Navy experience so far.
USN
-Pros

-Lots of travel opportunities
-Great base locations in the U.S.
-Chance to fly off carriers
-Seem to be more opportunities to be a leader
-Seems to have the reputation of being less strict than the AF with operational procedures. If it works and isn’t overly dangerous or illegal, do it.
-Hard to describe, but seems more welcoming? Tighter community? Had a better and easier recruiting process than with the AF.
-Cons
-High chance of being stuck flying helos. I’m interested in fixed wing.
-Ship living could get old after a while
-Not as many types of aircraft to fly
-Might not get to explore ports of call all that much

Just looking to fly?

Go ANG, or AF Reserve, seriously.
You can pick your platform and location and don’t have to risk going helicopters. Depnding on community, travel opportunities are equal to or better than AD counterparts.
ANG/AFR is more relaxed than AD.
You can stay flying you’re entire time, and have flexibility to do other stuff too if you chose to do so (Airlines, Govt job, private industry, self employment etc).

If you want to fly and only fly, but need to go AD, go to the Air Force. You’ll spend most of your career there. A standardized set of rules makes for a professional flying organization. Better equipped and better funded (AF bases are in a lot more congressional districts than Navy bases).

The Navy is great if you like the idea of being in the Navy, think boats are cool and want to spend years on some. You get 3 flying tours in the Navy (First tour, Department head tour and CO tour), you’re completely at the Navy’s needs as to where you go every other tour. Port calls can be cool, but also super lame, or non existent and you don’t get that many on deployment (3 days a month if lucky). You’ve got all the draconian rule enforcement in the Navy that you have in the Air Force, I promise. It’s might manifest differently but it’s there.

All that being said, if you’re looking for leadership/management experience, go Navy. All those things that take away from flying in the Navy (and there are a lot of them) usually involve management/leadership of others.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I e-mailed a friend from the NH Air Guard (tanker pilot) and he said if you are going ANG fly for an Air Mobility Command unit of you want hours...skip fighters he feels they are slowly on their way out of the Guard and, amazing to me, CV-22’s are the new hotness in the Guard. On the other hand, he said most active duty kids are getting funneled into global strike command right now but that changes quarter to quarter. Add to that, he said the AF is way short of UAV pilots and expects a lot of students to get sent to that pipeline but also that they recruit for UAV pilots directly.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
To be fair, the USAF didn't technically exist 100 years ago.....though the Navy, as well as its air arm did.

Sure, but Army Air Corps = Air Force. The differences were the same back then too. And the AF definitely derives their culture from their time as the AAC, before 1947. They have many of the same units, and all.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Sure, but Army Air Corps = Air Force. The differences were the same back then too. And the AF definitely derives their culture from their time as the AAC, before 1947. They have many of the same units, and all.

Copy you have gobbled all the Kool aide :)

(I kid....my grandpa was an Air Corps pilot turned USAF)