• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Try doing this in a T-34...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Lessons learned:
Playing Enya during PA's greatly enhances A/C performance.

or ...

Alternate lesson:
Playing Enya during flight may cause extreme boredom/drowsiness and unusual attitudes.

Cool video though.

bigmouth

You know I don't speak Spanish!
I could do it. No problem.

p.s that was a lot of aileron rolls.
p.p.s they might have made me sick.

handjive

Blue speedo... check!
pilot
It's a lot easier to do stuff like that when you have an a/c with a thrust/weight ratio of 4:1 and a stall speed of 2 kts (like the model does).

Could you imagine being able to hang on a prop like that in a real aircaft? Only helos can do that stuff in real life!

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That thing must be all foam, a battery and a big propellor on a strong electric motor.

It flies like it's light as a kite.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Let's not forget all the servos and electric gadgetry to operate the control surfaces. I'd bet that thing set him back a few grand

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Nah, that airplane will set you back around $200 total. It's made out of Delcor foam (similar to what vinyl siders use for lightweight insulation...maybe 1/2" thick at the most). Small electric motor and Lithium Polymer batteries (similar to what you'll find in your cell phone). Servos are miniatures..the airplane only weighs a few ounces. Great fun, but nearly impossible to fly outdoors (the slightest wind will carry them off). You can build the airframe in three or four hours and a sheet of delcor(9'x3' or so) will build two or three airplanes and will only set you back about $15. You can then swap motor and electrics back and forth at will between airplanes. Lot's of info out there about "foamies"...including free plans and cheap kits.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
jboomer said:
Lot's of info out there about "foamies"...including free plans and cheap kits.

Just based on what I've heard from P-3 guys, you might want to be careful googling "foamies." Just a heads up.

peanut3479

pilot
handjive said:
Could you imagine being able to hang on a prop like that in a real aircaft? Only helos can do that stuff in real life!

Ever seen a Pitts S-2, Extra 300, etc....?

handjive

Blue speedo... check!
pilot
peanut3479 said:
Ever seen a Pitts S-2, Extra 300, etc....?

Sure, they can hang, but indefinitely like that?!

At the last P-Cola airshow they had this nut in an Extra 300 (I think), doing things that I never thought were possible in an airplane. He flew better in departed flight than most people fly in controlled flight.

Blue Angels included, this guy stole the show. I have never seen anything like that in my entire life.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
It was probably Patty Wagstaff in the Extra 300 at the Pcola airshow. The Extra 300 has a 2:1 thrust to weight ratio, so it can hang on its prop. We have a Pitts S-2b at our school. They are offering demo rides for $50.00, and then $130/hr after that. I'm staying away. It would probably be the most expensive hobby thinkable. Lets see.... 5 hrs a day at $130.00/hr... hmmm. I've decided to take up knitting instead.

peanut3479

pilot
My last CFI (ret. AF Col.) had a Pitts (S-2C or S-2S, I don't remember which, and I don't know the difference). I rode in it once... "Wow" is all I have to say...

As for Extras, I've seen at least four or five different aircraft/performers at various airshows over the years, and it's crazy what those things are capable of.

Status
Not open for further replies.